E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: The final Homelink retrofit guide



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #67
xradman
New Member
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

My Homelink Autodimming Mirror Install

This was my first DIY project since getting my 2011 328iX. This DIY guide was of tremendous help, but there were some things that were not as clear from reading the instructions, and by writing this post, hopefully someone coming along could benefit from my experience.

My car came with plain mirror with no Homelink, autodim, or compass.





One thing that is incorrect in the DIY is that mirror is secured to the windshield using a spring loaded mount. It's not a screw, but a hexagonal nut that fits into a spring loaded clamp. Therefore, the mirror can be turned in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction 120 degrees to remove.

As you can see, my mirror did not have any existing wire harness.

I purchased my mirror on eBay for $95. Part number that was stamped on the back of the mirror was 015891 / 025891. It came with an existing wire harness 10 pin plug.





I followed the directions for removal of FZD. The assembly is held in place by metal spring clamp which is located in near the map reading lamp as indicated in the original post. By pushing in with a flat blade screwdriver or trim removal tool that I used, you are pushing in the metal spring clamp. FZD can be pulled straight down. It takes a little force and I was afraid that I might break the plastic, but it finally came down with no damage.

Once the FZD was removed, this is what I saw feeding down into the windshield.



I purchased the retrofit harness from ECS Tuning

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES161804/





Only thing out of the kit that I used was the wire harness consisting of 5 wires (Gry/Vi, Grn/Wh, Blk/Brw, Brw/Wh, and Brown) and Black 10 pin socket housing. First thing to do is to remove the black rubber grommet. It's held down by cloth tape and can be coaxed loose with little back and forth motion. Once you are down to 5 wire harness held together with some cloth tape, you can feed the wires through the existing rubber grommet at the top of the windshield using the straw trick shown on the OP.



Once the wires are through, just attach the 10 pin black socket from the retrofit harness kit to the wire as follows:

A1 Gray/Violet wire to Pin 1
A2 Green/White wire to Pin 3
A3 Black/Brown wire to Pin 4
A4 Brown/White wire to Pin 5
A5 Brown wire to Pin 10



The other end of the wires also have pins except for the Brown wire which is left bare.

These wires are connected to existing socket that goes to the FZD. In my case where I did not have any existing connections in my original mirror, I followed the following instructions.



Gray/Violet wire to Pin 14
Green/White wire to Pin 20
Black/Brown wire to Pin 15
Brown/White wire to Pin 16

Brown wire was tapped to much larger Brown wire going to adjacent connector X14287.

At this point, I connected the new mirror to the newly wired harness and cross my fingers as I switched on the ignition. Light to the compass on the mirror came on and I knew I was good to go. Reassembly was much easier. FZD just snaps back into the overhead slot. Mirror twists on the windshield mount and cover behind the mirror just snaps together.

I followed the directions to calibrate my compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeandtheland View Post
I did manage to complete compass calibration which is necessary after installation of the mirror. My compass was showing wrong directions after installation.

1. Find parking lot or a circular drive where you can make 360 degree turn for 2 mins
2. use a small philip screw driver (size PH 0) or something similiar to poke that button at the bottom of the mirror. You will have to press it, hold it for 6 seconds until the compass shows "C".
3. start driving the circle until you have directions shown on the compass. It's better if you have a GPS mounted to confirm the directions
4. Stop the car. press that button again, hold it for 3 secs and you will see a number, press the button until it increases to the number matching your magnetic geographic zone. e.g., Michigan is 9, New York is 11, etc. I have attached the map

Once you entered that number, you are all set.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
and programmed my Homelink. Everything works and I am a happy camper.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
Sabao767
Enlisted Member
Sabao767's Avatar
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

FYI, if anyone is looking to do this retrofit, check your local junkyard. I just picked up a homelink mirror with compass and autodim for $50.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #69
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
1917DOB's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

We have a 2013 E93 and just completed installing the Homelink/Compass Mirror. Everything is powered up and working, but the compass is staying illuminated when the car is off. It wasn't clear to me where the green/white wire went on the car side (vs. Mirror) and I tried the green/white wire in all the remaining slots except slot 14 I believe (I only have two 14 slotted pin receptor plugs). All of the other wires are in their correct places from what I can tell.

If anyone can help me trouble shoot how to get the mirrors compass to power off when the car is off that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Resolved. the Green/White wire needed to go into slot 14. I tried slots 13/12/11/10 and was getting power in 13 but the power wasn't going off when the car was off. At first the Green/White wire would not go into slot 14 even though I tried repeatedly. I finally used a pair of pliers and gently forced it fully into slot 14 and it's working like it's supposed to and the compass is powering off when the car is off.
__________________
2013 335i Vert LeMans Blue / Saddle Brown Dakota
2014 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue Pearl / Cobalt Blue Suede
2013 335i Sedan Alpine White / Coral Red Dakota (Sold)
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)

Last edited by 1917DOB; 10-31-2015 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #70
crediblesport
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Just completed this on a 2011 335is and now the Key Fobs are no longer recognized. I know the fobs are good because they still work fine with the old mirror.

Did I wire something incorrectly, or do the fobs need to be coded to read the new mirror? Called the dealership and they said they can "try" to figure it out for $140.

Any words of wisdom here?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #71
sl8anic
Private
United_States
4
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 2013 E88 135is MT black/black
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Is your car a convertible? Convertibles require unique mirrors in that the antennas for the fobs live there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblesport View Post
Just completed this on a 2011 335is and now the Key Fobs are no longer recognized. I know the fobs are good because they still work fine with the old mirror.

Did I wire something incorrectly, or do the fobs need to be coded to read the new mirror? Called the dealership and they said they can "try" to figure it out for $140.

Any words of wisdom here?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #72
crediblesport
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
Is your car a convertible? Convertibles require unique mirrors in that the antennas for the fobs live there...
Yes, it is a convertible. Do you know the specifics for the mirror I have to get?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #73
sl8anic
Private
United_States
4
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 2013 E88 135is MT black/black
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Specifics... So I don't have p/n or anything because there are so many, but you'll need to buy a mirror from a BMW convertible. One of the differences between sedans and verts in terms of remote electronics is that the antenna for those remotes gets relocated to rear view mirror from the roof (which doesn't exist in verts). So on eBay search for convertible BMW mirror and make sure that they're taken off of a vert, some sellers mistakenly list sedan mirrors as compatible). Use "315 MHz" as one of the key words, that's the frequency of the remote transmitters.

More info here: https://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_Electrochromatic_Mirror.htm





Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblesport View Post
Yes, it is a convertible. Do you know the specifics for the mirror I have to get?

Last edited by sl8anic; 05-15-2016 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #74
fatjoez
student
fatjoez's Avatar
No_Country
148
Rep
921
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bermuda Triangle

iTrader: (0)

anybody know where I can buy a European homelink module?

434mhz+
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #75
ptpending
Colonel
234
Rep
2,011
Posts

Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

iTrader: (1)

on european ebay or new using european car part number
__________________
E91 2006. Retrofits:High beam assistant, Individual Audio, Autodim mirrors, CIC, Combox(USB and Bluetooth), Electric Sport Seats, Light package, Front PDC, Heated Steering Wheel, Happy Robot, Climate Comfort Windscreen, Blackline rear lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #76
spencers
3 liters of fun
No_Country
166
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NWA

iTrader: (6)

Completed this DIY on Sunday. Thanks for all the info! Straw tip worked excellently and pin wiring diagrams helped.

Wish I would have taken the advice on removing the visor clips to pull down the FZD. Using a flathead screw driver did not work well or easily.

Programming the Homelink buttons sucked. Took forever to learn the frequency. Ended up finding another unused garage door remote which worked on the first try.

The range of the Homelink buttons is awesome! Much better than using the remote! Didn't have to calibrate the compass either!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #77
ar_e90
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

sorry to be bringing up an oldish thread. But I have a BMW 328i sport. My mirror has auto dimming, but no compass or home link. Do i need to get the conversion harness or is it going to be plug and play for me?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #78
sle39lvr
Captain
55
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (3)

My mirror doesn't have ANY features (No Homelink/autodimming/compass). I got the Homelink + autodimming mirror and ordered retrofit kit from ECS.

My question:
Is there coding involving at the end to make the Homelink or autodimming?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #79
THiBL
Private
France
9
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: E82 135i - E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: FRANCE Reims

iTrader: (0)

Hello,

I purchase an e66 EC FLA DWA GTO

For the FLA no problems, it goes on an other plug with a green and an orange cable.

But for the rest of the mirror it was the same female plug, but not the same colors and not the same pins.

I have this

1 Gray
2 Nothing
3 Pink
4 White
5 Black
6 Yellow
7 Green
8 Orange
9 Purple
10 Brown

Does someone can tell me if it was compatible ? maybe E66 mirror can not go on E90

Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #80
opjose
Captain
opjose's Avatar
139
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THiBL View Post

Does someone can tell me if it was compatible ? maybe E66 mirror can not go on E90

Thx
It is likely to be compatible.

Look at the back of the mirror where all the numbers are.

Post those numbers here so we can look it up.

Also see this thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252416
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #81
THiBL
Private
France
9
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: E82 135i - E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: FRANCE Reims

iTrader: (0)

Here what i find.

iEc110-1
5116
6979541-01
905-0962
34/0552

The FLA function is not a problem

I have tried to test the mirror but nothing happened and i can't closed the car then i plug the E65 mirror

Thx for help

Last edited by THiBL; 11-04-2016 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #82
opjose
Captain
opjose's Avatar
139
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

It is compatible though it is an older mirror.

See: https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...79541/ES88201/

It has been superseded by other mirrors such as 51169159090... which was superseded by this one....

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/51169159121/

And the 51169159121 is specifically compatible with your E90.

The wiring is the same for all three mirrors, since one could not supersede the other if not.

See: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...169159121.html

That is how I found a compatible mirror for my car at a decent price on Ebay.... I chased down the part number progression.
The one I purchased was for an X5. It came off a wrecked car and the car wrecking company posted the wrong part numbers.
I referred to the actual photographs to determine it was in my list of superseded mirrors... it worked fine after installing.

For more info you can search for any of the other parts numbers listed at the ECSTuning web site above.

How did you "Test" the mirror?

Does the LED Compass light up?

Start by getting everything other than FLA working.

Did you also VO code your car for the new mirror and code/reset the FZD module to get it to recognize the new type of mirror?

Last edited by opjose; 11-04-2016 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #83
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
JayTriggy14's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post
This was my first DIY project since getting my 2011 328iX. This DIY guide was of tremendous help, but there were some things that were not as clear from reading the instructions, and by writing this post, hopefully someone coming along could benefit from my experience.

My car came with plain mirror with no Homelink, autodim, or compass.





One thing that is incorrect in the DIY is that mirror is secured to the windshield using a spring loaded mount. It's not a screw, but a hexagonal nut that fits into a spring loaded clamp. Therefore, the mirror can be turned in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction 120 degrees to remove.

As you can see, my mirror did not have any existing wire harness.

I purchased my mirror on eBay for $95. Part number that was stamped on the back of the mirror was 015891 / 025891. It came with an existing wire harness 10 pin plug.





I followed the directions for removal of FZD. The assembly is held in place by metal spring clamp which is located in near the map reading lamp as indicated in the original post. By pushing in with a flat blade screwdriver or trim removal tool that I used, you are pushing in the metal spring clamp. FZD can be pulled straight down. It takes a little force and I was afraid that I might break the plastic, but it finally came down with no damage.

Once the FZD was removed, this is what I saw feeding down into the windshield.



I purchased the retrofit harness from ECS Tuning

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES161804/





Only thing out of the kit that I used was the wire harness consisting of 5 wires (Gry/Vi, Grn/Wh, Blk/Brw, Brw/Wh, and Brown) and Black 10 pin socket housing. First thing to do is to remove the black rubber grommet. It's held down by cloth tape and can be coaxed loose with little back and forth motion. Once you are down to 5 wire harness held together with some cloth tape, you can feed the wires through the existing rubber grommet at the top of the windshield using the straw trick shown on the OP.



Once the wires are through, just attach the 10 pin black socket from the retrofit harness kit to the wire as follows:

A1 Gray/Violet wire to Pin 1
A2 Green/White wire to Pin 3
A3 Black/Brown wire to Pin 4
A4 Brown/White wire to Pin 5
A5 Brown wire to Pin 10



The other end of the wires also have pins except for the Brown wire which is left bare.

These wires are connected to existing socket that goes to the FZD. In my case where I did not have any existing connections in my original mirror, I followed the following instructions.



Gray/Violet wire to Pin 14
Green/White wire to Pin 20
Black/Brown wire to Pin 15
Brown/White wire to Pin 16

Brown wire was tapped to much larger Brown wire going to adjacent connector X14287.

At this point, I connected the new mirror to the newly wired harness and cross my fingers as I switched on the ignition. Light to the compass on the mirror came on and I knew I was good to go. Reassembly was much easier. FZD just snaps back into the overhead slot. Mirror twists on the windshield mount and cover behind the mirror just snaps together.

I followed the directions to calibrate my compass



and programmed my Homelink. Everything works and I am a happy camper.
I hate to revive an old thread but I have a E92 328i with navigation, comfort access, and the msport package. I bought a autodim mirror and compass along with the ECS retrofit harness. I bolted everything up per spec (also had an independent shop try as well) and the mirror won't power on. They told me that I will need a new FRM3 module is this true?? Thanks.
__________________
2013 E92 Alpine White 335is: 7spd DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #84
opjose
Captain
opjose's Avatar
139
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTriggy14 View Post
I hate to revive an old thread but I have a E92 328i with navigation, comfort access, and the msport package. I bought a autodim mirror and compass along with the ECS retrofit harness. I bolted everything up per spec (also had an independent shop try as well) and the mirror won't power on. They told me that I will need a new FRM3 module is this true?? Thanks.
What year is your car?

Is there any indication that the FRM is not working otherwise?

Searching for E92s going back to 2009 on RealOEM indicates it should work.

Link

I never used the ECS harness though. Maybe it is not wired correctly for your car. The compass should light up as soon as the mirror has power.

Last edited by opjose; 11-29-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #85
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
JayTriggy14's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
What year is your car?

Is there any indication that the FRM is not working otherwise?

Searching for E92s going back to 2009 on RealOEM indicates it should work.

Link

I never used the ECS harness though. Maybe it is not wired correctly for your car. The compass should light up as soon as the mirror has power.
How would I check to see if the FRM is not working? Does your car have to be pre-coded for the autodim compass mirror? No the lighting system works fine as well as all the electrical components in the car. I see so you used the Tischer harness, maybe that is why its not working. I talked to the independent shop and they confirmed that the mirror works as they tried it with an m3 in the shop. They told me that I would need the FRM3 module to get it to work properly so I am not entirely sure.
__________________
2013 E92 Alpine White 335is: 7spd DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #86
opjose
Captain
opjose's Avatar
139
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTriggy14 View Post
How would I check to see if the FRM is not working? Does your car have to be pre-coded for the autodim compass mirror? No the lighting system works fine as well as all the electrical components in the car. I see so you used the Tischer harness, maybe that is why its not working. I talked to the independent shop and they confirmed that the mirror works as they tried it with an m3 in the shop. They told me that I would need the FRM3 module to get it to work properly so I am not entirely sure.
For autodim to work you must modify your VO to add it.

$4NA is the VO entry you need to add for the compass too.
$431 is the VO entry you need to add for the interior mirror.

Do you also have the rain light sensor (RLS) in your car?

Post your vin so we can see what the factory VO is on it.

And no you do NOT need FRM3, there are plenty of success stories with people using earlier FRM's doing mirror retrofits including homelink on E92's...
I found a bunch Googling.

FYI:

431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
4NA Interior Mirror With Dig. Compass Innenspiegel Mit Digitalem Kompass

Your FRM is working if you do not otherwise have codes thrown and lighting problems.

Ideally you should hook up a computer and VO code FRM & CAS, then default FRM & FZD, power off the car for an hour, then start the car and see if the compass lights up.

Last edited by opjose; 11-30-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #87
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
JayTriggy14's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
For autodim to work you must modify your VO to add it.

$4NA is the VO entry you need to add for the compass too.
$431 is the VO entry you need to add for the interior mirror.

Do you also have the rain light sensor (RLS) in your car?

Post your vin so we can see what the factory VO is on it.

And no you do NOT need FRM3, there are plenty of success stories with people using earlier FRM's doing mirror retrofits including homelink on E92's...
I found a bunch Googling.

FYI:

431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
4NA Interior Mirror With Dig. Compass Innenspiegel Mit Digitalem Kompass

Your FRM is working if you do not otherwise have codes thrown and lighting problems.

Ideally you should hook up a computer and VO code FRM & CAS, then default FRM & FZD, power off the car for an hour, then start the car and see if the compass lights up.
Oh I see! So I have to code the VO? What program do you use to do this? Sorry this is my first time really getting into coding a vehicle myself. Is there a third party person on the forum that will help with doing this? Yes I do have the rain sensor. Thanks for all your help!
__________________
2013 E92 Alpine White 335is: 7spd DCT

Last edited by JayTriggy14; 11-30-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #88
opjose
Captain
opjose's Avatar
139
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTriggy14 View Post
Oh I see! So I have to code the VO? What program do you use to do this? Sorry this is my first time really getting into coding a vehicle myself. Is there a third party person on the forum that will help with doing this? Yes I do have the rain sensor. Thanks for all your help!
You'll need a INPA & NCS Expert setup.

There are a Version 3 Virtual Machine image, containing a ready to run setup of all of the programming software, floating about.

HINT: CLICK ME

That image can be mounted under VMWARE or Virtual box on a decent laptop to do coding with a USB - OBD2 cable.

There are also people on these forums that offer coding services.

Last edited by opjose; 11-30-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST