E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Front diff swap in Westchester NY, Reputable shop/s?

08-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Front diff swap in Westchester NY, Reputable shop/s?

Hey guys, so I’ve confirmed that my buddy needs to replace his front diff. I changed the old diff fluid after some howling noises coming from the front of his x5 at basically all speeds in both drive and neutral. Thought it may be the wheel bearings but after changing the fluid for him, there looks to be some small metal shavings in the oil. I added a friction modifier as well when I changed his fluid and the noise seems to persist so he’s purchased a new diff and has asked me to install it.

I’m a little weary about taking on this job only bc it’s not my car and that i don’t know if I would have to drop the subframe or not. I have an x5 myself as well as an e90 lci 335i xDrive that I have done an oil pan gasket on. So I’ve dropped the subframe on ny e90 and still have the engine stabilizer bar I bought. I really only have 3 questions;

1.)I know you need to obviously pop out both front axle shafts but do you have to drop the subframe to do the front diff swap?

2.) If you do have to drop the front subframe and I decide to not take this on myself for my buddy, how much should the labor be for him to get his old front diff swapped out with the new one he has purchased and has in hand.

3.) Does anyone know a reputable shop in or around west Chester NY that could perform this work for a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, F10, F30 and F48

I use Euro Meccanica in Mount Vernon. Mike does great work and is very honest.
Appreciate 0