E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - rear underbody to diffuser cover

11-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
DIY - rear underbody to diffuser cover

I got a china knock-off diffuser that is made of fragile PP plastic so once slight touch with anything was enough to break off 3 clips and one fixing point.
It was DIY! time...
1 - jack up the car, fix it properly, place a stand to avoid fall down related recovery period
2 - dig the garbage to find a carton/paper box sheet
4 - do some basic measurements, cut a rough shape a try it on
5 - ask why point 3 is missing and start looking for scissors and sharp/tool knife
6 - re-do the shaping to a fresh muck up as your 1st attempt will be off for sure
7 - transfer it to plywood, alu sheet, ABS plastic or whatever you desire to fabricate it from
8 - ad same rakes/fences to guide the air and to reinforce it (remember, idea is to have the air attached as long as possible, make it gap-less fit to a plastic end part of diffuser, fences should be going from small to tall and narrow to wide, air behind the wheels should be excluded as it is to turbulent anyway)
9 - paint it black, make sure it does not touch the exhaust pipes or does not melt if made out of plastic/fiber
10 - go for a drive and enjoy the feeling how it sucks panties under your car along your drive path

PS - I am aware that is way too small to create any downforce, its main purpose it to secure the diffuser and to cover those giant holes in between differential, exhaust and bumper...
Attached Images

11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

So what material will you be using for this?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:56 AM   #3
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
Thin plywood (cardboard is still little floppy) and then stainless steel sheet reinforced by 4-6 fences... there are 5 strong fixing points at the rear (3 diffuser, 2 bumper), 4 on the sides (bumper), 2 at the middle (heat shields points, I will create a holder with a single fixing point, most likely just a bended sheet with a slip on thread) and finally 2 points at the differential/support subframe (drill 2 holes, thread or any fitting).
      03-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #4
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

Did you ever finish this? Did it help with gas mileage?
      03-19-2020, 03:00 AM   #5
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
I have been busy with other things like heat-exchanger delete, ICV valve, intake ports cleaning... but this one I did to the other DD Saab 9-5, there was a huge hole before, no cover what so ever... and it made an effect, quieting the front, possibly better Cdx :-)
Attached Images