E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Any coders local to Boston area?

11-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Any coders local to Boston area?

I have an SOS error due to a new Head Unit that I need coded out. I have instructions on what to set - but I don't want to take this on myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I have an SOS error due to a new Head Unit that I need coded out. I have instructions on what to set - but I don't want to take this on myself.
There's no reason to be afraid of this - if you've got a cable and NCSExpert installed on a laptop, it's about as simple a coding operation as there is. And you cannot hurt anything permanently with coding. I could explain in detail if you wish to try.

Alternatively, again if you have a cable, there is no need for anyone local - this can be done remotely by professional coders, many of whom contribute to E90post and other forums.

Caveat: the above assumes that all other features of the new headunit are operating normally and there are no errors beyond the SOS light.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

I don't have any experience with NCS Expert, but it seems easy enough to change the two parameters to inactive.

andy_06xi if you'd like to give it a whirl with my laptop/cable you're welcome to
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
I don't have any experience with NCS Expert, but it seems easy enough to change the two parameters to inactive.

andy_06xi if you'd like to give it a whirl with my laptop/cable you're welcome to
Even easier to change the VO, so that the deletion would not be reset if someone (like dealer or indy service personnel) subsequently default coded the car.

Load "Expert" or "Default" profile
Add +TELD to the VO (TELD = telecom delete; eliminates BMW Assist)
FA_Write to CAS and NFRM modules
SG_Codieren to KOMBI and to CIC (if there is a CIC), CAPPL (if there is a CCC), TCUM (if there is a TCU), 2RAD (if there is a radio and no iDrive system).

The other strategy as you seem to know requires using the "manipulation" profile and hand-edit of the TRC file resulting from SG_Lesen (read) of the KOMBI module.

The OP hasn't indicated what headunit the car came with, why he thought it needed to be replaced, what type of headunit he replaced it with, if the MOST ring integrity has been restored and whether the car has a combox, which could affect the steps needed in both strategies.
Appreciate 1
CDirks135.00
      11-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post

The OP hasn't indicated what headunit the car came with, why he thought it needed to be replaced, what type of headunit he replaced it with, if the MOST ring integrity has been restored and whether the car has a combox, which could affect the steps needed in both strategies.
My car came with a Logic 7/Professional system. About 10 years ago I added a TCU (as well as a new overhead console) to get factory Bluetooth. This required coding.

I replaced the factory Head Unit with an Eonon GA9465 with a Fiber Optic adapter driving the Logic 7 amp. The TCU is still present in the system (but I don't think it is doing anything).

Any suggestions as to the best way to eliminate the 'SOS' error is welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
My car came with a Logic 7/Professional system. About 10 years ago I added a TCU (as well as a new overhead console) to get factory Bluetooth. This required coding.

I replaced the factory Head Unit with an Eonon GA9465 with a Fiber Optic adapter driving the Logic 7 amp. The TCU is still present in the system (but I don't think it is doing anything).

Any suggestions as to the best way to eliminate the 'SOS' error is welcome.
Still didn’t tell us what type of headunit you replaced: CIC, CCC (both iDrive) or 2RAD (non-idrive). When asking for help it is useful to include model and year as well as all relevant options and retrofits snd exact error codes if any.

That said, in my opinion, simply adding +TELD to the VO is the best and easiest way to eliminate the SOS error
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car is a 2006 330Xi w/Manual Transmission. The only added option was the cold weather package. It is non-iDrive with the 'Professional/Logic 7" radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had it done remotely

Just to follow up on this -- I wound up having it done remotely by Joe at:

https://topgearsolutions.com/bmw-rem...-f-g-i-series/

Very quick and professional while reasonably priced ($50 not including K/DCAN cable).

Was also able to code my "ALL" button back to "REST"
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50