E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 20 Deg Drop In Temps

08-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

20 Deg Drop In Temps

New WP + NEW THERMO + NEW COOLANT + NEW OIL = 220-230TEMPS
.Sitting in traffic = 220deg with 94deg outdoor air temp
230deg on a heavy run @ 94deg outdoor temp

Prior was 240 and 245 and even seen 250

The coolant had a black substance (some black specs) and I am guessing they were from a gasket ( another problem -- oil filter gasket???). The pump and thermo I got from Tischer along with the correct length bolts. Followed several of the DIY here and really no big issues. Some things did surprise me.

1) Once my 335i MT rad fan and intercooler were removed I could get at the 3rd pump alum bolt rather easily.

2) I did find some oil in the intercooler -- perhaps a teaspoon full both sides but other than that it was easily removed.. So easy in fact I may find a new IC soon. Will have to see if the benefit without a tune is worth the money.

3) New thermostat must be set to open sooner and is a little bigger than the old one.

4) 12 min air purge was really cool --- my battery was not phased by the run.

5) Job was overall not that hard: 3 hrs last night and 5 hrs today just because I checked everything 5 times. Not nearly as difficult as the walnut blasting I did weeks ago.

6) Both pump and thermo fit in nicely -- if it does not go in easily then you have routed something incorrectly. I hooked up all the hoses before tightening the pump to structure as well as thermo to pump. Kind of loose installed everything -- then tightened it all up.

THANKS FOR THE DIY --- BENTELY JUST DOES NOT MAKE IT CLEAR ENOUGH.
Appreciate 0