E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine oil Warning

04-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Isiteddy
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320i 2010 Executive

Engine oil Warning

Hi guys, recently had my car did a log book service, it was about 3 weeks ago. Was driving fine. Then today it came up with "engine oil at minimum, refill 1 litre". So I took it to the shop and had them fill it up again. The dash stil appears with YELLOW engine oil warning and also on the iDrive it measured the engine oil low. The level of the oil is also on low appearing on the dash. What could be my problem here? Should I suggest an oil leak? The mechanic said that there doesn't seem to be a leak. And it doesn't make sense for the engine oil to be low having that I serviced the car 3 weeks ago. What could be the issue here and how do I go about fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I had a similar experience last year, I had dinner at a friends house a little more than a mile from my house. I saw the red oil light on the iDrive display but the engine sounded normal. I got up especially early and looked at the engine compartment, put it on ramps to look at the oil pan and everything was extremely clean so I decided to check the level again. The oil level was a little low and I added 1/2 quart to get it to read full. I remember that sinking feeling when I saw the red light and haven’t had an issue since.
      04-03-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Isiteddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I had a similar experience last year, I had dinner at a friends house a little more than a mile from my house. I saw the red oil light on the iDrive display but the engine sounded normal. I got up especially early and looked at the engine compartment, put it on ramps to look at the oil pan and everything was extremely clean so I decided to check the level again. The oil level was a little low and I added 1/2 quart to get it to read full. I remember that sinking feeling when I saw the red light and haven't had an issue since.
Yeh I took it too the shop today to top up. After an hour or so I checked it again and the bar was still showing "minimum engine oil" left the car parked at work. Tonight drove it home and got into my garage, the engine oil measured with bar close to MAX saying "okay"
Strange how it is like that, it seems to be okay now but anyone might know the issue with this and why it's happening? This could be an ongoing issue where I have to refill every few weeks? That doesn't seem normal
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It confirms that a dipstick would solve the mystery or simply confirm whether the sensor is bad or not.
      04-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
The sensor takes some time/miles to change readings following an oil change or top-up.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You did this oil change at the dealership or just a random mechanic?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

The Oil Level Sensor may be on it's way out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Isiteddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
The sensor takes some time/miles to change readings following an oil change or top-up.
So I drove it around for a day from work to home, next day I hopped in and the meter shows "engine oil at maximum " the next few days it drop to "engine oil is okay" been driving around for a few days now. And it still stays on engine oil is OK", all this happened after I took it to the shop to get it topped up. Now it's sittin on "OK" I have a feeling it might drop to minimum again, if that's the case, could I possibly be looking at a leakage ? Mechanic said that there isn't any leaks visible. And surely it wouldn't leak after I just serviced it all good to go? But confused on this one. Hope the oil level stays on where it's meant to be, otherwise it's a leak or a faulty sensor ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It's not a faulty sensor. If they fail, they don't report an oil level at all. You are just observing the way the oil level system works. Whoever changed the oil probably did not fill the engine block correctly and with barely enough oil quantity that when completely warm triggers a "max"reading. The system reports in one-quarter quart/liter increments. If the e-dipstick is reporting "ok" for the oil level along with a bar graph icon showing the level is between the min. and max. lines, then the oil level is safe to operate the engine.

Stop worrying about it.
Appreciate 0