E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Trying to track down a 30ff that intermittently gets thrown N54

07-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Carbonschwarz_
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Trying to track down a 30ff that intermittently gets thrown N54

As the title says got a random boost leak code that pops up on my 08 335xi. Typically when warm and getting on a curved freeway on ramp or climbing a hill and putting my foot in it.
It will pull hard (after warm up of course) when I floor it on a flat road and city driving never pops the code up.
I've felt the exposed vacuum hoses, cable covered obviously can't do a feel check, and visual inspection of all exposed vacuum hoses and all parts of the system I can visually inspect. My only findings were that there is a little bit of buildup around the DV's but unsure if that could have been from the leaky power steering reservoir.
Logged a bit with BimmerLink and since I'm not familiar with logs have no true idea of what I'm looking at. I can see obviously that it isn't hitting boost at all at certain points and seems to be worse with more throttle but was hoping someone could give their input on what it is saying.
My next steps are to replace plugs and coils, while I'm in there I've got some silicone vacuum hose on order from FCP just as a piece of mind replacement.
After that I'll start trying to test DV, probably pull the charge pipe for an inspection, and work my way down the list of ruling things out.
Also of note, I've got no waste gate rattle nor does there seem to be any excessive play in the actuators.

Much appreciated as this is my first BMW and I can't believe it took me this long to fall in love with a modern car (came from old hot rods).

Link to pdf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vg27mvxu2...drive.pdf?dl=0
      08-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Just do the Vacuum Lines First....30ff is a vac line leak...and vac lines are the number one culprit at this age of the car.....alog with most other plastic in the engine bay.
DO NOT Replace the PLastic lines on top of the front of the engine.
See my thread on how to replace the Front Turbo Vacuum line to the actuator.
It will save you a shit load of time.

Check this thread.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440745
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Carbonschwarz_
Rep

Thanks, yeah new lines will be here tomorrow so I'll get started on that. While I was changing the coils and plugs I looked more closely at the lines and they are up there in age based on the mfg date printed on them haha

Not much activity here but I'll post my finding once the code stop coming up.

Also out of curiosity, do people transfer the cloth cover from the old lines when installing new ones? Unsure if that is actually necessary with silicone lines.
      08-14-2022, 02:39 AM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

No, No need to transfer the cloth at all.
Just keep the lines that are on top of the engine going from left side to right side new the front they are hard plastic and should be fine.
If you replace them, then you may have burning smell in the cabin.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 07:57 PM   #5
Carbonschwarz_
Rep

Late update: replaced lines, still happening. Bought a smoke tester, tested and 0 smoke came out.

Leaning towards solenoids based off of logs and will update after replacement.