E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I got gatsoed!

07-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I got gatsoed!

i got flashed by a forward facing gatso camera a few days ago in a 30 zone and its been on my mind ever since. thing is there were no markings on the road. how does (or doesnt) that work?

my new Sergei Edition Nav disk didnt pick this one up either :P
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
recalluk
Rep
Drives: 320i Edition SE Touring

Was it a Gatso or Truvelo ? Gatso can not "do" you if its facing you. Truevelo can :

Gatso :

Truvelo

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
G33
Colonel
Rep

thats what i thought.

it certainly wasnt blue with Truvelo written on it! im pretty sure it was a gatso (defo looked like one). will check it out again tonight.

it was on my side of the road facing me - pavement side....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
what speed were you doing mate? More than 30?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
We should take a leaf out of the Dutch motorists handbook and set up organisations to pull the fcukers down.........they are nothing more than goverment piggy banks.......

In the words of Ricky Tomlinson....."redcue accidents - my ar$e"!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
G33
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
what speed were you doing mate? More than 30?
maybe

wat puzzles me more is that there were no other cars on the other side of the road?! maybe they just wanted a photo of the beast (car, not me)! lol

will take a photo of the fecker tonight
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
kushtrimp
Ambassador
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have an idea how to solve the "gatso" prob... it involves some SIMTEX and a few wires...
and BOOOOOM
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #8
G33
Colonel
Rep

i might go down there with a few cans of spray paint this saturday after a few 'bevoirs' good job i dont have a uk license
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ZiL-41047

Thinking about buying my next car with Polish number plates. Would then be able to drive at excessive speed passed Gatso's etc and be exempt from prosecution.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
G33
Colonel
Rep

honestly i was in no way intending to breach 30mph. im a law abiding citizen.
i was maginally over... there wasnt even any point in me jamming the brakes on
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_toed_tree_sloth View Post
Thinking about buying my next car with Polish number plates. Would then be able to drive at excessive speed passed Gatso's etc and be exempt from prosecution.
how true ... cameras can only catch the law abiding

sorry to hear about the flash, hope you wernt going to quick as its so easy to loose concentration especialy in a car like ours where the speed is so deceptive.

good luck !

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushtrimp View Post
i have an idea how to solve the "gatso" prob... it involves some SIMTEX and a few wires...
and BOOOOOM
Or....1/8 " titanium tiped drill bit, 1 x cordless drill and some expanding foam
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
Or....1/8 " titanium tiped drill bit, 1 x cordless drill and some expanding foam
i like it far more stealthy

or as clakson did in one of his videos - rip them out of the ground with a chain and a Range Rover

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
cant flash the other way the law was brought it to protect drivers with blindness at night
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

If it flashed facing you then as been said already, you are fine. You can only get done when flashed from behind.

Even so, if there were no markings on the road then there is no way for the police to calibrate your speed. It was probably a new camera which hasnt been calibrated yet.

Also, sometimes you can trip a camera, from behind, if you accelerate too hard as you cross the lines half way, but it has to flash twice in order to calibrate your speed, so if it only flashes once, your ok. M3 and 335 owners would prob get away with that lol!

If you do get flashed correctly, you must recieve the notice through the post within 14 days for the police to be able to prosecute you, if they send it weeks/months later, you should be able to contest. This is so to cover joe public, so he/she is able to determine who the driver was at the time of the incident. (dont take this as solemn, law may have changed since I last checked, but pretty sure its still the case)

All in all, you ok G33, I trip my local gatso facing me regularly............
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
i got flashed by a forward facing gatso camera a few days ago in a 30 zone and its been on my mind ever since. thing is there were no markings on the road. how does (or doesnt) that work?

my new Sergei Edition Nav disk didnt pick this one up either :P
have a look on here

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-database.htm

also, trying to find a link to a site which told you which were active etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Or make some thermite and have a fireworks display at the same time .

These speed cameras are like a virus and are getting out of control; they are just another driver tax. I wish the speed camera locations on the sat nav disks would result in an audio warning when approaching them within say 100 yards.
      07-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

The satnav/camera gizmo companies compile their own databases, so as I guessed that camera is probably still in its infancy, therefore not picked up by the detector/satnav company's researchers and not classed as listed/live.

Depending on which satnav/detector you purchase, their databases vary greatly. Snooper I beleive are one of the best, updating frequently, some companies take longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Someone ought to take a photo of some foreign (France comes to mind) car in an area that looks the same and rig it in front of the camera lens so that when any other car trips it, the camera takes a picture of the picture. Poor foreign guy suddenly gets a bunch of tickets in the mail from a place he's never been to.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #20
G33
Colonel
Rep

right i scoped it out after work but forgot my digi cam. im pretty sure that camera has been there for at least 6 months...

anyway it was a truvelo as correctly pointed out by recalluk. I looked closely and saw two circular 'peepholes' as opposed to the squares on the gatso. however it looked exactly like one. no blue livery as per truvelo also no markings from what i could see but ill double check this for my peace of mind.

on the link that was posted above it says:

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver. These rely on 3 white-lines in the road, painted just before the camera, and are triggered by strips in the road, used to gain the vehicles speed.

i did see bright flashes thats why i knew i had been flashed!!! maybe once or twice in quick succession! WTF?!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
just have to wait and see my friend any one wanna take bets i think the postman is gonna drop off a letter to your home in the next 14 days
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
right i scoped it out after work but forgot my digi cam. im pretty sure that camera has been there for at least 6 months...

anyway it was a truvelo as correctly pointed out by recalluk. I looked closely and saw two circular 'peepholes' as opposed to the squares on the gatso. however it looked exactly like one. no blue livery as per truvelo also no markings from what i could see but ill double check this for my peace of mind.

on the link that was posted above it says:

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver. These rely on 3 white-lines in the road, painted just before the camera, and are triggered by strips in the road, used to gain the vehicles speed.

i did see bright flashes thats why i knew i had been flashed!!! maybe once or twice in quick succession! WTF?!
Fingers crossed mate

I had the same a few months back...and nothing ever turned up....best thing is to forget about it, nothing you can do now mate..... or get a mate who has a license but doesnt drive to take the points for a set agreeable fee got any family from abroad who's been over on a holiday recently?
Appreciate 0