E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Receiver/Drier Not Replaceable?

06-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
Jim_B
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Wife's '09 328i xDrive

Receiver/Drier Not Replaceable?

The car is a 2009 BMW 328i and I'm looking to replace the receiver/drier. The top of the tube on the side of the condenser appears to be welded. (It's in an awkward spot, so it's tough to get a really good look at it.) Would the RD normally drop out the bottom? The parts places all listed the RD as fitting "to 01/09" and the car was made in 01/09. Does this look like the type that's not replaceable? I'll put the car up on jacks tomorrow and have a better look. (It's getting late and I don't feel like screwing around with it tonight.) The bigger black round piece isn't just a cap that can be removed, correct? (This is a picture of the bottom of the R/D.)

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
EnintyToo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325

It's not replaceable after 12/08 production. See note in the TIS:
Attached Images

Last edited by EnintyToo; 06-23-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jim_B7.50
      06-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Jim_B
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Wife's '09 328i xDrive

Great info - THANKS!

I guess the description on the parts websites should read "to 12/08" instead of "to 01/09". What a great idea BMW had: "Let's take a fairly easy, fairly inexpensive job and make it much more difficult and much more expensive."

Stupid question, but what's the TIS? Seems like that's got some good info. I have the Bentley manual and, aside from a basic system diagram, it has essentially no information regarding the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
EnintyToo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B View Post
Great info - THANKS!

I guess the description on the parts websites should read "to 12/08" instead of "to 01/09". What a great idea BMW had: "Let's take a fairly easy, fairly inexpensive job and make it much more difficult and much more expensive."

Stupid question, but what's the TIS? Seems like that's got some good info. I have the Bentley manual and, aside from a basic system diagram, it has essentially no information regarding the A/C.
The TIS is BMW Technical Information Service. It's were Realoem is based out of. If you go to the DIY section you can find a link to it for free. It used to cost money to open a 24-hour session. I have the Bentley too and figured you may have been referencing it. The condenser is available on line for $133.00 from ECP Euro. I just bought one for my '06 325i E90. The dealer price is $600. Mine was damaged in a deer accident, which is why I'm buying a new one. 12 years ago, the AC compressor seized and I replaced just the drier when I had the compressor replaced.

Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0