E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Best OBD tool + iOS

09-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #45
ameyarao
Ameya
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2008 modelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Ista D and Inpa toghtether will do more than anything else.
Ista D is what BMW used in there dealerships for years.
Inpa is there Engineering development tool.
You can do any type of coding with Inpa well beyond the canned
routines you get with things like Carly.
Ista D is like having a shop manual with guided trouble shooting. It also has schematics and mechanical diagrams
its something like 50 gigs of space on a disk.

The catch is you have to know your way around a PC and it you have
Apple products you have to run these programs inside a Virtual
machine. It will also require effort to set up and learn to steer either
of these.

See the coding sub forum and Bimmergeeks.net for more options.
I've downloaded Ista and ista P for my E93, 2008 model. Want to be sure if these are all I need before I plug in. Don't want to mess it up
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #46
Freemorfeem
2010 e90 335i 6MT, RWD, Msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i RWD, 6MT, Msport

I need to disable my Tire Pressire Gauge sensor and headlight washers. Can I do that with my Foxwell NT530 or do I need to get an app like BimmerCode.app (iOS) and use that with my MHD OBDII reader?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #47
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

As far as updates go you don't need them .
Why they stopped making E9x's in 2013 it's now
2022. Any updates probably would have stopped coming
unless it was something for a specific recall.
Every thing you need to work on the car is in the Ista D/plus.
Eveything you need to program the car is in Standard Tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:01 AM   #48
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Old laptop running whatever Windows + SSD

K+DCAN Cable
Bimmergeeks inpa

If you want more get a SSD over 500GB and look for ISTA D / ISTA P+

All of the software you can get for free
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 11:55 AM   #49
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerisalwaysbroken View Post
Old laptop running whatever Windows + SSD
K+DCAN Cable
Bimmergeeks inpa
If you want more get a SSD over 500GB and look for ISTA D / ISTA P+
All of the software you can get for free
I would be interested in knowing what benefit you believe is added by SSD. I use two Lenovo Laptops, one with 500GB (12 years old) and other with 1TB HD (NOT SSD). Both work flawlessly (Windows 10, NON "S" Mode) and with NO delay running EITHER INPA or ISTA+. I have NEVER used ISTA-P, and never plan to.

BimmerGeeks INPA (BMW Standard Tools with E89 Datens) requires ~ 2.5 GB of HD space, and ISTA+ requires ~ 21.5 GB disk space. See attached pdf for Links to MEGA Downloads.

Neither INPA or ISTA installation or use interferes with any other software I have installed (MS Office Pro, Acrobat Reader, Google Web connection via WiFi, etc.) and I save ScreenPrints to jpg files using 'MS Paint' image editor. Alt+Tab allows navigation between open applications. ONLY issue is ISTA must be "minimized" to perform some functions, such as opening other programs, at least using "Speed Keys".

I'm NOT sure why there seems to be a "belief" that you should install INPA/ISTA on an OLD computer. I "Live" on my laptops, and have NEVER had a Software Issue or conflict. I've had INPA installed for 5+ years, and ISTA for ~ 4 years. ONLY issue I've had (using BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable) is that "Windows Updates" frequently resets COM 1 Latency from 1 to 16, causing connection issues until reset correctly.

ANYONE with differing experience, please advise.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1 E9x References.pdf (344.9 KB, 65 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 04:05 AM   #50
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I would be interested in knowing what benefit you believe is added by SSD. I use two Lenovo Laptops, one with 500GB (12 years old) and other with 1TB HD (NOT SSD). Both work flawlessly (Windows 10, NON "S" Mode) and with NO delay running EITHER INPA or ISTA+. I have NEVER used ISTA-P, and never plan to.

BimmerGeeks INPA (BMW Standard Tools with E89 Datens) requires ~ 2.5 GB of HD space, and ISTA+ requires ~ 21.5 GB disk space. See attached pdf for Links to MEGA Downloads.

Neither INPA or ISTA installation or use interferes with any other software I have installed (MS Office Pro, Acrobat Reader, Google Web connection via WiFi, etc.) and I save ScreenPrints to jpg files using 'MS Paint' image editor. Alt+Tab allows navigation between open applications. ONLY issue is ISTA must be "minimized" to perform some functions, such as opening other programs, at least using "Speed Keys".

I'm NOT sure why there seems to be a "belief" that you should install INPA/ISTA on an OLD computer. I "Live" on my laptops, and have NEVER had a Software Issue or conflict. I've had INPA installed for 5+ years, and ISTA for ~ 4 years. ONLY issue I've had (using BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable) is that "Windows Updates" frequently resets COM 1 Latency from 1 to 16, causing connection issues until reset correctly.

ANYONE with differing experience, please advise.
George
From memory, ista p takes something like 250gb with all the databases + all the other software you'd want to be installed I don't know many people who would want that on their main computer also an SSD is just better and faster times, especially on ista and if you drop it you don't lose your entire computer.

Personally, I run a new surface dedicated to BMW diagnostic you don't have to run an old one but not many people are gonna be spending surface money on a diagnostic laptop.

Also, I'd like to add it was a pain trying to get INPA and ISTA to run on win 11 so most people who are not tech orientated would be better off to just get something with XP which would be an old laptop where the programs run straight up

P.S SSD are dirt cheap now and if you aren't seeing an advantage of your SSD vs HDD I'd suggest looking into what brand you bought
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #51
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

No trouble getting standard tools (and Ista sorta )running on win 7 to win 10
skipped Vista .

ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #52
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerisalwaysbroken View Post
From memory...
RAM Memory?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:04 AM   #53
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

I use ULTRA OBD app. It is all free and also finds all codes from all systems. No idea why anyone would want to pay more or use a PC to just read out fault codes
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:59 AM   #54
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ista D is a shop manual with guided trouble shooting .
No looking up codes because the meanings and solutions
are attached in a searchable database along with schematics
wiring diagrams procedures and assembly disassembly instructions.
Plus all torque specs etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 01:21 AM   #55
jasonevans2812
Registered
Rep
Drives: 18 bmw x3

The Foxwell NT510 Elite is a great pick. I personally use one, and it can read codes from all systems. What's cool is it can also handle crankshaft relearn and battery registration, which can save you a bunch of money. While ISTA/INPA can do similar things, they're a bit tricky to navigate. Check out this review for more details to help you make a decision.
https://www.obdadvisor.com/bmw-scan-tool/
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 01:41 AM   #56
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

I have the Schwaben 14020SCH and while ECS sent me the old version rather than the new one I paid for. It has proven to be indispensable when it comes to maintenance.

The only code I have to deal with now however is 29F5. It told me when my water pump speed deviation was off. Can read some live data and reset ABS recently after tapping the motor housing in order to free up internal brushes. It just tells me what the issue is mostly.

I want to setup the BMW Ista software with this extra laptop I have but it seems kind of scary. I don't want to lock out anything and don't like messing with things I don't understand haha.
Appreciate 0