E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw 335i major oil leak

12-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

if it were a high pressure side PS leak you'd know quickly.

low pressure side leaks are much more common.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #24
E92fanboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

My engine bay looks the same as MarkN54 so I believe we may be having the same issue. It is A LOT of oil coming out but the times I have fired it up I cannot see the exact location, it almost looks like it is coming from under the intake manifold near the alternator.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
When I had issues with a PS leak it was from the connectors to the PS cooler. The cooler connections can start pitting causing the fluid to bypass the connector. Most of the fluid runs down the lines and ends up dripping down by the pump. The correct way to fix it was remove the cooler, but once I saw how much effort it was I just cleaned everything up and sealed it up with liquid gasket maker. Sure it isn't elegant but saves me removing my bumper, draining my radiator and AC condenser so it was totally worth it.

Are you talking about the plastic clip connectors by the front where the radiator is? So what I jus did was I replaced the crush washers on the banjo fittings and it’s still leaking so what I did was I double the crush washer and now it’s leaking even more... stupid mistake I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #26
MarkN54
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=nsjames;24095877]if it were a high pressure side PS leak you'd know quickly.

low pressure side leaks are much more common.[/QUOTE

How would I know? It leaks only when I drive not when it’s at idle I’m pretty sure I let it idle for and hour and no leaks drove 300 feet and I see oil on the ground
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

a few hundred PSI of hydraulic pressure is pretty hard to miss if it has a leak.

all of the high pressure side hoses are crimped style, they usually work or they fail. The low pressure side is just hoses and clamps, much more likely to have a slight leak. About the only place I would expect to see a slight weep on the high pressure side would be at the fittings themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #28
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Coupe

I had serious oil leaks myself.
Changed the head cylinder valve cover gasket (it was dropping oil on the vacuum valve bracket, then dropping on the exhaust manifold: smoke was coming out).

Normally, you can have oil leaks from the following on N54:
- Oil Filter Housing gasket flange to cyl head
- Oil Filter housing gasket flange to oil cooler
- Cyl Head cover gasket
- oil pan
- Crank shaft seals

I knew I was in for a big job, and was trying to avoid it... Then had no choice. I have decided to check engine compression first to determine engine's health condition.

My compression was low. So I have elected to fix the engine at the same time as I'll fix the oil leaks.

You can find the entire process (in progress) on my YouTube Channel.
If you'd like to be posted when a new video is released, just subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrf...f2b4-fZVKDUi-w

Here is the list of the videos that have been released so far
Engine Removal is covered through 17 videos.
01 Underhood Shield Removal (Actual Youtube name: 01 BMW 135i N54 E82 - Engine Removal - Underhodd shield Removal)
02 Gas Pressure Relief (Actual Youtube name: 01 BMW 135i N54 E82 - Engine Removal - Gas Pressure Relief)
03 Air Cabin Filter and Engine Cover Removal
04 Intake Air Duct Removal
05 Radiator Fan Removal
06 Intercooler Removal
07 Throttle Body Air Pipe Removal
08 Vacuum Accumulators Removal
09 Water Pump Removal
10 Radiator and Thermostat Removal
11 Vacuum Valve Bracket Removal
12 Pre-Catalyst Removal
13 Belt, Accessories 1st step, Intake, Starter Removal
14 Exhaust, Heat Shield, Drive Shaft Removal
15 Transmission Removal
16 Accessories 2nd Step, Wiring, Fuel Line Removal
17 Engine Removal Final

Engine Disassemble is to be covered in 8 videos
20 Oil Leaks Inspection, pulleys removal
21 Turbos removal
22 Cyl Head cover, coil packs and spark plugs, fuel rail removal
23 vacuum and high pressure pump removal
24 Timing chain 1 st step and cyl head removal
25 oil pan and pump removal
Not finished released yet…
26 Fuel Injectors, Cams, Valves, Oil Filter Housing Removal

You might want to take a look at this one...

Hope it helps,
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #29
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecDIY View Post
I had serious oil leaks myself.
Changed the head cylinder valve cover gasket (it was dropping oil on the vacuum valve bracket, then dropping on the exhaust manifold: smoke was coming out).

Normally, you can have oil leaks from the following on N54:
- Oil Filter Housing gasket flange to cyl head
- Oil Filter housing gasket flange to oil cooler
- Cyl Head cover gasket
- oil pan
- Crank shaft seals

I knew I was in for a big job, and was trying to avoid it... Then had no choice. I have decided to check engine compression first to determine engine's health condition.

My compression was low. So I have elected to fix the engine at the same time as I'll fix the oil leaks.

You can find the entire process (in progress) on my YouTube Channel.
If you'd like to be posted when a new video is released, just subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrf...f2b4-fZVKDUi-w

Here is the list of the videos that have been released so far
Engine Removal is covered through 17 videos.
01 Underhood Shield Removal (Actual Youtube name: 01 BMW 135i N54 E82 - Engine Removal - Underhodd shield Removal)
02 Gas Pressure Relief (Actual Youtube name: 01 BMW 135i N54 E82 - Engine Removal - Gas Pressure Relief)
03 Air Cabin Filter and Engine Cover Removal
04 Intake Air Duct Removal
05 Radiator Fan Removal
06 Intercooler Removal
07 Throttle Body Air Pipe Removal
08 Vacuum Accumulators Removal
09 Water Pump Removal
10 Radiator and Thermostat Removal
11 Vacuum Valve Bracket Removal
12 Pre-Catalyst Removal
13 Belt, Accessories 1st step, Intake, Starter Removal
14 Exhaust, Heat Shield, Drive Shaft Removal
15 Transmission Removal
16 Accessories 2nd Step, Wiring, Fuel Line Removal
17 Engine Removal Final

Engine Disassemble is to be covered in 8 videos
20 Oil Leaks Inspection, pulleys removal
21 Turbos removal
22 Cyl Head cover, coil packs and spark plugs, fuel rail removal
23 vacuum and high pressure pump removal
24 Timing chain 1 st step and cyl head removal
25 oil pan and pump removal
Not finished released yet…
26 Fuel Injectors, Cams, Valves, Oil Filter Housing Removal

You might want to take a look at this one...

Hope it helps,
Hey what’s up man, sorry I was on vacation just got back, I have an oil leak that I can’t find! Fixed PS leak, it was the washers on the rack for the pressure lines. Now I have engine oil leaking at the front of the engine, here’s everything I replaced, OFHG, valve cover, front crankshaft seal, camshafts sensor o rings both of them. The vanos solenoids are not leaking, no oil around them. It’s coming right under the head gasket it doesn’t seem to be coming from the head. It leaks when I drive to. when it’s idling it doesn’t leak! Making me go crazy
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #30
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep

Seems like mine was leaking from: oil filter housing (again), oil pan... These 2 mainly (highly probably more would have come soon, after 10 years...)

I had replaced cylinder head valve cover gasket not long ago (was dripping on vacuum valve bracket, then exhaust manifold).

Knowing I was in for a good amount of work, I had the brilliant idea to check engine compression... It was low, very low.

It seems like these engine are well thought. The cylinders and pistons are build to be relatively tough, but the compression rings are the one taking the wear.

I would suggest people to really keep an eye on their compression as the N54 grows old. There was a guy on youtube that got given an engine (sorry can't recall his channel name).

He's just going down on it, disassembling it all (without any plans to put it back together) just trying to see what went wrong... Compression ring broke, broke piston and create damage.

I am glad I had the idea to check it. So I am joining all that amount of work at once. In the end, making it easier and avoiding myself to get involve in big work again in 1 or 2 years.

Back at your oil leak... I would say that it seems that most sources seems to be:
- oil filter housing to cyl head
- oil filter housing to oil cooler hose flange (I would suggest to replace both at the same time when you're on it)
- cyl head valve cover gasket
- oil pan gasket
- crankshaft seal (pulley side / front)
- crankshaft seal (transmission side / rear)
- Head gasket

Don't think those are common, but I guess in extreme conditions, you can have leaks coming from:
- turbos o'rings
- turbos oil leaks accumulating in intake air ducts

When looking at where the oil leaks are on your engine, you can figure the source of the leak. You are looking for gross fat mess, not light fume barely wet kind of thing.

If it seems to be coming from under the head gasket... it looks like it might be it. I would think it is doable without removing the engine from the hood. But I would check compression, to do it all once if needed.

Hope this answer/helps
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
like blood in a Quentin Tarantino movie
      01-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #32
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Seems like mine was leaking from: oil filter housing (again), oil pan... These 2 mainly (highly probably more would have come soon, after 10 years...)

I had replaced cylinder head valve cover gasket not long ago (was dripping on vacuum valve bracket, then exhaust manifold).

Knowing I was in for a good amount of work, I had the brilliant idea to check engine compression... It was low, very low.

It seems like these engine are well thought. The cylinders and pistons are build to be relatively tough, but the compression rings are the one taking the wear.

I would suggest people to really keep an eye on their compression as the N54 grows old. There was a guy on youtube that got given an engine (sorry can't recall his channel name).

He's just going down on it, disassembling it all (without any plans to put it back together) just trying to see what went wrong... Compression ring broke, broke piston and create damage.

I am glad I had the idea to check it. So I am joining all that amount of work at once. In the end, making it easier and avoiding myself to get involve in big work again in 1 or 2 years.

Back at your oil leak... I would say that it seems that most sources seems to be:
- oil filter housing to cyl head
- oil filter housing to oil cooler hose flange (I would suggest to replace both at the same time when you're on it)
- cyl head valve cover gasket
- oil pan gasket
- crankshaft seal (pulley side / front)
- crankshaft seal (transmission side / rear)
- Head gasket

Don't think those are common, but I guess in extreme conditions, you can have leaks coming from:
- turbos o'rings
- turbos oil leaks accumulating in intake air ducts

When looking at where the oil leaks are on your engine, you can figure the source of the leak. You are looking for gross fat mess, not light fume barely wet kind of thing.

If it seems to be coming from under the head gasket... it looks like it might be it. I would think it is doable without removing the engine from the hood. But I would check compression, to do it all once if needed.

Hope this answer/helps
Oil is leaking right under the lip where the head meets the block... head is dry, I replaced oil filter housing, valve cover, camshaft sensor o rings (2), vanos solenoids are dry but those are all above where the leak is coming from, could it be the vacuum pump? Even tho it lower then we’re I see the leak coming from? Idk dude I’m so stuck with this crap I’m using a oil dye that’s why in the picture it looks kinda green, it seems to be coming from up top moving down the engine and since the engine is on an angle looks like it’s coming from the head I’m guessing? And I also forgot to mention when the car is parked and on it doesn’t leak, only when you drive it leaks, makes it even harder to find exactly where rd leaking
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkN54; 01-09-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #33
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep

Didn't had anything close to it, yet at least.

Not 100% sure, but I would suggest these:
- try to run the engine idling with hood open to see if you can see where it comes from (watch your fingers with the belt obviously)
- have someone give it a bit of gas to rev it up a bit, and hopefully with one of these 2 steps you might see where it comes from

Else:
- Check your turbo air duct that connects up front your engine (the one that you removed to take the 2nd picture. Check it for cracks as it might has oil in it trough time.
- on mine, the turbo rubber seal in between the turbo and that duct was destroyed (on both turbos). I will replaced both of them with new ones (be careful, different part number). See part no 2 and 10 on realoem's link below
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1184

- The idea suggested by some others about the oil cooler pipes is also possible (didn't had that). I will replace the 4 O'rings on mine (1 o'ring at each end of pipes x 2 pipes (no 7 on realoem' link below)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0375
- Cylinder head gasket leaking from the front is possible as per the picture

I don't think it can be your vanos or cam sensors. There will be a trace of oil from them on the way down.

As you seems to have fresh oil leaking on your pics, for some reasons, I would check the turbo duct a lot. I'd even go to put a thick zip-loc (for the freezer) with tie wraps on both end. One end having a longer one (so it has a bit of slack). Then I would make a little hole inserting a compressed air nozzle and spray a bit of air into it to see if there is a crack. Maybe 45 psi is enough. Be careful with that, a bit of air at the time (don't make it blow up your face!)

Hoping that can help and that you'll find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #34
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Not to be harsh but it is pointless trying to pinpoint a leak when your baseline is so dirty.
Go and buy some brake cleaner or water based degreaser (sodium hydroxide) and a large drip pan. Spend some time degreasing it thoroughly, dry it all off, then commence your examination.

With a clean engine, and a leak that's as bad as yours it shouldn't take long to pinpoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #35
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Not to be harsh but it is pointless trying to pinpoint a leak when your baseline is so dirty.
Go and buy some brake cleaner or water based degreaser (sodium hydroxide) and a large drip pan. Spend some time degreasing it thoroughly, dry it all off, then commence your examination.

With a clean engine, and a leak that's as bad as yours it shouldn't take long to pinpoint.
Here’s the crazy thing, the head is dry, I wouldn’t see how it could be leaking it would be very obvious it would leaking from especially with the uv dye
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #36
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

That's a very swollen coolant hose. Are you sure it isn't coolant you are losing? Possibly through a cracked plastic fitting to the head which can be broken during an oil filter housing repair.

If oil stains keep reappearing around the perimeter between the head and block, perhaps the head has been off before? Did you notice anything unusual when you took the valve cover off? One time I did have a persistent oil leak like yours. It turned out to be a bit of metal between the head gasket and the block.

Last edited by juld0zer; 01-17-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #37
chuckn0rr1s
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flackoo View Post
Hey i have a 09 bmw 335i and was just driving normal and all of a sudden I see smoke coming out from my hood so I pull over and see that a whole bunch of oil is leaking out. I am no expert and idea of what it could be? Any thing is helpful
My car is currently at the mechanic but I wanted to get a idea of what it could be.
Is the serpentine belt intact? If not, the 335's had an issue where the serpentine belt would wrap around the crank shaft and tear through the front main seal and go into the oil pan. Thus causing a major oil leak from the front of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #38
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Not just 335's all e90's with an accessory belt tensioner in front.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #39
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
That's a very swollen coolant hose. Are you sure it isn't coolant you are losing? Possibly through a cracked plastic fitting to the head which can be broken during an oil filter housing repair.

If oil stains keep reappearing around the perimeter between the head and block, perhaps the head has been off before? Did you notice anything unusual when you took the valve cover off? One time I did have a persistent oil leak like yours. It turned out to be a bit of metal between the head gasket and the block.
Coolant leak is my least worry lol that’s simple, this is oil 110%
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #40
Tonethejackal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Mine was similar when the front crank seal ate my serpentine belt. I have a seal removal kit I'd consider selling or renting you if that's your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Didn't had anything close to it, yet at least.

Not 100% sure, but I would suggest these:
- try to run the engine idling with hood open to see if you can see where it comes from (watch your fingers with the belt obviously)
- have someone give it a bit of gas to rev it up a bit, and hopefully with one of these 2 steps you might see where it comes from

Else:
- Check your turbo air duct that connects up front your engine (the one that you removed to take the 2nd picture. Check it for cracks as it might has oil in it trough time.
- on mine, the turbo rubber seal in between the turbo and that duct was destroyed (on both turbos). I will replaced both of them with new ones (be careful, different part number). See part no 2 and 10 on realoem's link below
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1184

- The idea suggested by some others about the oil cooler pipes is also possible (didn't had that). I will replace the 4 O'rings on mine (1 o'ring at each end of pipes x 2 pipes (no 7 on realoem' link below)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0375
- Cylinder head gasket leaking from the front is possible as per the picture

I don't think it can be your vanos or cam sensors. There will be a trace of oil from them on the way down.

As you seems to have fresh oil leaking on your pics, for some reasons, I would check the turbo duct a lot. I'd even go to put a thick zip-loc (for the freezer) with tie wraps on both end. One end having a longer one (so it has a bit of slack). Then I would make a little hole inserting a compressed air nozzle and spray a bit of air into it to see if there is a crack. Maybe 45 psi is enough. Be careful with that, a bit of air at the time (don't make it blow up your face!)

Hoping that can help and that you'll find it.
I found this Quebec, the gasket around the inlet pipe could this push oil outta the turbo to the front of the engine?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #42
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
I found this Quebec, the gasket around the inlet pipe could this push oil outta the turbo to the front of the engine?
That's gotta feel good...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #43
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
That's gotta feel good...
Ik air is supposed to go there but could oil push outta there? First turbo car so not filimlar with it trying anything at this point
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:56 AM   #44
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

It's not good but if there was that much oil leaking out of the turbo inlet i think you'd be pumping out massive clouds of smoke also

Those seals also don't just fall out. Could a turbo/both turbos have been replaced? Damaged turbo oil feed/return?
Appreciate 0