E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Please check your microfilter covers

10-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
ndj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Please check your microfilter covers

Looking for some help from the forum.

The short story is the last time my car came back from a dealer service the lugs on my Microfilter covers were trashed. I suspect they were over torqued by a spanner monkey. Dealer replaced them FOC.

Car came back from latest service a few days ago and guess what!!!!

Service Manager is telling me it's a design fault and they were discovered in that state. I suspect the same spanner monkey knackered them. This time they've washed their hands of it and want £120 per side to replace them FFS!

Can you take a look at the lugs on the covers on your car and tell me if they're split/missing/similar?

Intending to take this to BMWUK and would like some supporting evidence.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

I had exactly the same in mine but I only discovered it a few weeks after it had been in the dealers when the cover was making a vibrating noise because the screws had come out. They had been threaded through over tightening. I put a bigger screw in and sorted it. Ham fisted £100/hr 'techs'
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
It's a poor design for a serviceable part. Shouldn't be self tappers. I've replaced mine. Drilled out the holes and inserted a rubber-sleeved threaded insert with threaded screws to locate the cover.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

They are a poor design, however for the last 4 years I have always changed that filter myself, so it seems fine on mine.
      10-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

I’ve also had these damaged when serviced at main dealer, when confronted they say it was already there, also clips broken etc.

The threaded insert seems the best solution....

The worst issue I had was a sump plug which was cross threaded by the main dealer, (they had serviced it previously). They were unable to get it out or tighten it back up!. I said that they had previously serviced it, but it made no difference!, they said someone else had fitted it wrongly not them. I really hate main dealers

Just
Appreciate 0