E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Shannon's E91

05-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Shannon's E91

Hi guys, beside a quick hello post when I first joined (I think it was one of sockets threads), I never really introduced myself or put up any decent pics of my ride.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer in my mid 40's working in the aviation industry at Brisbane Airport and live in Brisbane. In June 2019 I picked up this 2007 E91 323i MSport in Metallic Sapphire Black (475). Its totally stock with a few options but like my last ride I'll probably end up modding it a bit more but nothing too serious (you can see my last ride where I modded up a stock E46 318i Exec. by searching for my same name over on https://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48).

I'm planning on just some practical mods at the moment like upgrading to ACC, full electric seats, power folding side mirrors and CIC to CCC/NBT with reverse camera. The mods I've done so far is install Whispbar slimline roof rack rail bars, centre console phone cradle to tray replacement and some cheap Chinese 7000K headlight halo LEDs (I know, I know, one side of my halo's died and I just wanted a cheap solution).

Anyway here's some pics.

Appreciate 4
      05-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Hey Shannon

Welcome aboard. Good to see a few more Queenslanders joining the forum

Beautiful car mate, don't see many wagons around tbh. They are the equivalent of a bmw unicorn But so nice.....

Keep us updated on progress mate
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I reckon e91s rock. Welcome aboard mate!
      05-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Gorgeous Touring mate. M Sport really makes these look amazing.

Good luck with the mods!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Hey Shannon

Welcome aboard. Good to see a few more Queenslanders joining the forum

Beautiful car mate, don't see many wagons around tbh. They are the equivalent of a bmw unicorn But so nice.....

Keep us updated on progress mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
I reckon e91s rock. Welcome aboard mate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1275 View Post
Gorgeous Touring mate. M Sport really makes these look amazing.

Good luck with the mods!
Cheers guys. Yeah I love my E91 MSport, especially the more aggressive front end look.

As mentioned, my first mod was the slimline roof rails and the second was the center console phone cradle to tray replacement.

My next two, maybe three, mods are are going to be Active Cruise Control, CCC to CIC and maybe OEM reverse camera retrofits. I'm already in the process of collecting parts with 90% collected already for both the ACC and CIC retro's. I just need to get around to installing INSTA, INPA and NCSExpert on my laptop so I can do all the coding after install.
Appreciate 2
Socket4542.00
      05-30-2020, 01:08 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
Cheers guys. Yeah I love my E91 MSport, especially the more aggressive front end look.

As mentioned, my first mod was the slimline roof rails and the second was the center console phone cradle to tray replacement.

My next two, maybe three, mods are are going to be Active Cruise Control, CCC to CIC and maybe OEM reverse camera retrofits. I'm already in the process of collecting parts with 90% collected already for both the ACC and CIC retro's. I just need to get around to installing INSTA, INPA and NCSExpert on my laptop so I can do all the coding after install.
Nice Good luck with the mods
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:21 AM   #7
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice Good luck with the mods
Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #8
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

I'd love to know what's involved in the ACC install. I have it on my car but ive heard different things
Bimmergeeks download page has all the tools as you would probably know..
      05-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd love to know what's involved in the ACC install. I have it on my car but ive heard different things
Bimmergeeks download page has all the tools as you would probably know..
Yeah I got a K+Dcan USB cable off Bimmergeeks and I'll be downloading the software soon from them.

As for ACC, it all depends on what cruise control your car has or doesn't have to begin with. if you don't have cruise control at all its a bit harder as you need everything to get the system to work. From my understanding there's four different setups when is comes to cruise control. 1. No cruise control. 2. Basic cruise control that maintains speed but no braking ability to slow you down. 3. Dynamic cruise control with braking function. 4. Active cruise control with distance and braking functions.

Lucky for me, I've already got dynamic cruise control with the braking function so all I need is the front radar, new bumper grill and radar trim, a wiring loom, ACC steering column stalk and because my car is 2007, I need a LDM module. Then its wire it all in and reprogram a few modules to activate the ACC and done. The hardest part of all this is getting a front E9X radar that's not ridiculously expensive. All up for me, this mod is going to cost just a bit over $1K, but I use my cruise control a lot and having the ACC function is a God send and must for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #10
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Mate i swear by mine as i do a lot of Highway K's
I bought my car in Melbourne and drove all the way to sydney with it... Arrived in sydney and felt like i could turn around and do it all again!
      06-01-2020, 12:35 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Doesnt the ACC have the sensor in the bumper grill? There was one advertised here on the forum a while back
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesnt the ACC have the sensor in the bumper grill? There was one advertised here on the forum a while back
Yeah that's the front radar I was talking about. I haven't seen one on here for a while. There was a guy on the Gold Coast that was offering his whole system for sale back in 2016 and then someone revived that that thread again back in 2018 and again in 2019 but the original sellers seems to have disappeared and moved on and isn't here anymore as he never answered anyone's messages.

These radar sensors are a PITA to find one for a decent price and are a pretty rare option here in Aus on the E9X's. Brand new from BMW here in Aus, your looking at approx $6K and from Europe your looking at approx 2.5K Euro's. I rang a heap of wreckers all over the country and couldn't find any second hand one's here in Aus. In the US and Europe, they go anywhere from 400 Euro's up to US$1.5K, and then there's the currency conversion on top.

I was so lucky and found one on the German ebay Classifieds site www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de for only 240 Euro's and it came with the mounting brackets and adjustment screws and nuts included. An absolute bargain. With conversion and shipping, its costing me about AU$565.

The rest of the parts are relatively cheap compared. The new grill is AU$100, sensor trim AU$50, wiring harness AU$40, LDM AU$45 and steering column stalk AU$210. Then it's just all the retrofit install and programming (hopefully I don't brick anything that could cost me a lot more ).
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 02:00 AM   #13
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah that's the front radar I was talking about. I haven't seen one on here for a while. There was a guy on the Gold Coast that was offering his whole system for sale back in 2016 and then someone revived that that thread again back in 2018 and again in 2019 but the original sellers seems to have disappeared and moved on and isn't here anymore as he never answered anyone's messages.

These radar sensors are a PITA to find one for a decent price and are a pretty rare option here in Aus on the E9X's. Brand new from BMW here in Aus, your looking at approx $6K and from Europe your looking at approx 2.5K Euro's. I rang a heap of wreckers all over the country and couldn't find any second hand one's here in Aus. In the US and Europe, they go anywhere from 400 Euro's up to US$1.5K, and then there's the currency conversion on top.

I was so lucky and found one on the German ebay Classifieds site www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de for only 240 Euro's and it came with the mounting brackets and adjustment screws and nuts included. An absolute bargain. With conversion and shipping, its costing me about AU$565.

The rest of the parts are relatively cheap compared. The new grill is AU$100, sensor trim AU$50, wiring harness AU$40, LDM AU$45 and steering column stalk AU$210. Then it's just all the retrofit install and programming (hopefully I don't brick anything that could cost me a lot more ).
Yes I agree is super hard to find second hand sensors, better chance of meeting a unicorn driving a golf R hahaha
I was never sure if the ACC worked as described or were a bit of a gimmick, but clearly work just fine from what you guy describe.
Looks like a pretty good value mod all up, given the whole set up will cost you under $1000

Take lots of pics of the project, install and coding. I am sure a DIY on the ACC would be a great help to the community

Good luck mate
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:54 AM   #14
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I agree is super hard to find second hand sensors, better chance of meeting a unicorn driving a golf R hahaha
I was never sure if the ACC worked as described or were a bit of a gimmick, but clearly work just fine from what you guy describe.
Looks like a pretty good value mod all up, given the whole set up will cost you under $1000

Take lots of pics of the project, install and coding. I am sure a DIY on the ACC would be a great help to the community

Good luck mate
It works awesome. I wouldn't buy another car without it. Unless it's a track weapon then ...
      06-02-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck mate
It works awesome. I wouldn't buy another car without it. Unless it's a track weapon then ...
@shannon1
Let me know if you need any reference pics or data. Happy to help a Brutha!
      06-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #16
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Good luck mate
Quote:
@shannon1
Let me know if you need any reference pics or data. Happy to help a Brutha!
No problem Socket, I'll try to remember to do a DIY. I'll be using Nickco43's DIY he's already done https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1530925

Cheers Aus335iguy, if I do have any questions or need pics, I'll hit up.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 01:34 AM   #17
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
How did the ACC install go Shannon ??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #18
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How did the ACC install go Shannon ??
Unfortunately I haven't done it yet mate

I'm still waiting on a few pieces from BMW that I was quoted would take 3 months to get here from Europe due to Corona. I've also been collecting parts for a few other mods I'm planning so that I only have to pull the car apart once to lay in all the required wiring.

I'm hoping to start in a month or two once I've got everything I need. I'll definitely put in an update on here when that time comes.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:01 AM   #19
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't done it yet mate

I'm still waiting on a few pieces from BMW that I was quoted would take 3 months to get here from Europe due to Corona. I've also been collecting parts for a few other mods I'm planning so that I only have to pull the car apart once to lay in all the required wiring.

I'm hoping to start in a month or two once I've got everything I need. I'll definitely put in an update on here when that time comes.

Cheers.
ah yep the corona delayed parts deliveries
Waiting on a few of these myself
Hope they arrive soon, keep us updated
Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      11-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #20
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Well, after 3 years of waiting, I've finally completed my ACC retrofit install. Had a few hiccups along the way but I worked through them all with this sites and everyone's advice.

So happy its finally done and loving it .

Now to get around to doing my CCC to CIC and OEM Reverse Camera retrofits. Hopefully not another 3 years .

Last edited by shannon1; 11-13-2023 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
jzx_andy245.00
      11-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #21
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
After some more hiccups, got my CCC to CIC retrofit done as well . Unfortunately my replacement CIC head unit is not the latest C1A software, so now I just need to script activate it to get navigation working or I'll just buy an emulator.
Appreciate 0