E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e90 cam sensor problems? help?

10-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 318 2007 petrol

e90 cam sensor problems? help?

Hello all. Am new here and need some help.
Got a bmw e90 318i 2007. Petrol Automatic.

When i start the car in the morning, it starts, idles rough then cuts out. After maybe 2-3 goes it runs.

I ran obd tool. It said cam sensor on exhaust. So i changed it.
Same issue remains.

Ran inpa, this says 2b63, same fault. But i have changed the part.

So i ran ista, this shows 2b62, cam sensor on intake.

Spoke to a friend who believes the timing chain may have jumped a notch and the timing in off, but inpa/ista says nothing to that effect?

Someone else is saying change the vanos non return valves( not the vanos solenoids) but i cannot find this part on bmw oem as a part.

Can is still running rough on start up, not always starting on first go. And sometimes needle is bouncing up and down on idle.

I would really appreciate any advice insight.
i have ordered another cam sensor to replace on the intake just to eliminate.
Thoughts please?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshbmw View Post

When i start the car in the morning, it starts, idles rough then cuts out. After maybe 2-3 goes it runs.

Same issue remains.

Spoke to a friend who believes the timing chain may have jumped a notch and the timing in off, but inpa/ista says nothing to that effect?

Someone else is saying change the vanos non return valves( not the vanos solenoids) but i cannot find this part on bmw oem as a part.

Can is still running rough on start up, not always starting on first go. And sometimes needle is bouncing up and down on idle.

Thoughts please?
I believe the part number you are looking for is:

However, most people on will be less familiar with 318's so take the recommended fixes with a grain of salt. They are looking at your problem through the lens of an N52 engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshbmw View Post

Same issue remains.

Thoughts please?
I believe the part number you are looking for is:

However, most people on will be less familiar with 318's so take the recommended fixes with a grain of salt. They are looking at your problem through the lens of an N52 engine.
Hello, thanks for the reply.

Is this a check valve or a non return valve filter?

Does head need to be removed to change this?

I have the second cam sensor for the intake coming on tue, after i replace this, you are saying I need to get this part that you have shown and replace that also? How many pieces do i need?

Is that what is causing the fault moving from exhaust to intake cam sensor and causing the rough starts and rough idle?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

This is a non-return valve. You have to remove the cylinder head to replace it on an N46. On an N52, you do do not. In fact you don't need to remove anything. Thats why I said take the solutions with a grain of salt.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, although other posters on the international forums have said it had to do with the timing chain. I was just commenting on the part in question. You won't find much expertise on that engine here.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is a non-return valve. You have to remove the cylinder head to replace it on an N46. On an N52, you do do not. In fact you don't need to remove anything. Thats why I said take the solutions with a grain of salt.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, although other posters on the international forums have said it had to do with the timing chain. I was just commenting on the part in question. You won't find much expertise on that engine here.
Gotcha. Ok. Thank you.

Have I posted this in the correct forum? This is the e90 forum right? Or do i need to move it to another section so I may get the international members 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

I would place it in the regional forums. The vast majority of people on here have US-spec or at least commonly spec'd cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Moshbmw
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would place it in the regional forums. The vast majority of people on here have US-spec or at least commonly spec'd cars.
Ok. Thank you. Am abit if a noob. How do i do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

If you are using the app, the regional forums are the 4th line down under the e90. On the website they are towards the bottom of this page:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php
Appreciate 0