E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Employment Law (new job)

01-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Employment Law (new job)

I need some advice......

You apply for a job based on the JD / job title..... go through a number of interviews & you get the job.

When you start, you find what you'll be doing is significantly different, so much so you don't have any experience using the software, skills needed etc...

This was never stated in the JD or even asked in the interview.... in fact you have made no reference to anything what your required to do now in your CV!

It's your 1st week.... Where do you stand! Surely this can't be right.... it looks like they've changed the job before starting, so much so, you would have never taken the job!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

I'd start looking for another job if it was me
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

That doesn't sound right at all!
what does your contract say? Have you spoken to your boss/HR?

I would expect a job to develop over time and possibly change into something you didn't intially apply for. This happens to me on a regular basis. Being a Nurse/educator the job changes all the time with added responsibilities etc

Can't help with employment law but someone in HR may be able to help. Maybe you could approach them for advise - my understanding is they have to help in a private and confidential way.

Sorry to hear your troubles, starting a new job is tough enough without this!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'V' View Post
That doesn't sound right at all!
what does your contract say? Have you spoken to your boss/HR?

I would expect a job to develop over time and possibly change into something you didn't intially apply for. This happens to me on a regular basis. Being a Nurse/educator the job changes all the time with added responsibilities etc

Can't help with employment law but someone in HR may be able to help. Maybe you could approach them for advise - my understanding is they have to help in a private and confidential way.

Sorry to hear your troubles, starting a new job is tough enough without this!
Cheers for the advice!

It's not me but someone close! They are going to speak to the manager.... take it from there I suppose! Just wanted some insight case he goes... This is it now, take it or leave it!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Sounds similar to an experience a friend hand. In end they jumped ship as it turned out between when they where hired and started things changed. Head of the firm that hired them left , new guy came in totally new agenda and literally started to do everything to force them out the door. In end it all worked out for best as new job was far better and they left before anything could happen on ie redundancy / termination but sometimes there could be a hidden agenda and this is why its happening
      01-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #6
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
Cheers for the advice!

It's not me but someone close! They are going to speak to the manager.... take it from there I suppose! Just wanted some insight case he goes... This is it now, take it or leave it!
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this as in currently contemplating a new job which could potentially put me in a similar position - too hard to explain but would certainly like to hear what happens

Was thinking about this last night. I have a friend who is an HR manager for a very large well known company - a company I imagine have to do things to the letter!! If I can get hold of her I'll ask her about it, might be able to give you some info
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

What i would do is start looking for other jobs while getting paid to do nothing And if your manager pushes you to do something, you show them the job description you were offered.

Also i'd maybe see if i could get training in the new stuff while i was at it and add those skills to my CV.

I wouldn't bother with HR unless they come to me. And if they wanted rid, they'd just give me a weeks notice. If they wanted to performance manager then i would raise the issues that the skillset is different, however i'd be willing to take training courses and skill up.

All the while...i'm looking elsewhere in case i get bumped or something better comes up.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

care to share the company? company field or sector so we can have abit more feel for what it actually is?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
SamanthaClarkson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

I do agree with you, but you can train yourself and develop new skill and keep the same job. Only thing is desire and timetable. You can keep same workplace and get a right schedule for new trainings and that all. How you can do that? It's very easy, I found great service which is helping you to plan each and everyday, so you will not losing something really important. I really like it because they are cool reminders and nice design. I wish you will enjoy this https://tracktime24.com/Free-Employment-Contract-Template-Sample . Good luck and God bless you

Last edited by SamanthaClarkson; 08-08-2020 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:07 AM   #10
KFC_KID
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Speak to https://www.acas.org.uk/advice they will tell you exactly how you should handle it
Appreciate 0