E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Looking at an 07 323i

09-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
mpelley92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Toyota Matrix

Looking at an 07 323i

Hi all, I found a 2007 323i that I'm having trouble wondering if it's worth purchasing or not. This particular model is a 6 speed manual, with 330,000 km. The guy is asking for $5000 without a safety inspection (this is in Ontario, Canada).

The car's body is mint, no signs of abuse. The engine and transmission seem very smooth. The interior isn't too bad - except for small things like the start button being worn off almost entirely.

There's only one orange warning light on the dash, and the owner says it's because HID lights are installed - it needs a resistor or something to communicate with the car properly or something?

Then there's the red "inspection" light (the one that looks like the car is up on a lift), which he says is because of the headlight issue.

He's got all the history on the car, says there's only three owners (two of which were him and his brother in-law). He's taken it to the local BMW dealer to get everything serviced, completed all the recalls, recently installed 6 new coilpacks.

To me, it seems like a decent deal. I'm going to mostly be driving the car long distances (like across the country), not to-from work.

My major concerns are:
- is this car worth the asking price?
- what is the resale value of a high mileage BMW?
- will I even be able to sell it again for what I'm paying for it?
- what can I expect to see in terms of maintenance on this car in the next say, 2 years?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Why not get a 328i/330i? The prices are fairly similar (5000CAD ~3800USD). With that kind of mileage, the car could be on its last leg for all you know.

Can you resell for what you're paying? Probably not as only enthusiasts would go for that kind of mileage and not many people want the 323i.

In terms of maintenance, you could be looking to put in what you paid for the car even if you DIY. Maybe suspension is optional, but things like vanos solenoids, waterpump/thermostat, torn half shaft boots, PCV issues could be potential costs.

1. When was the waterpump/thermostat replaced? Typically done every 120k km-180k km. ($370 USD)
2. Were the vanos solenoids replaced ($400 USD for the pair)
3. When were the suspension components replaced? ($600-700 for Bilstein B4 Struts, $1200 for front/rear control arm/tie rod components.
4. PCV/Valve cover
5. Not entirely sure if the 2007 323i has DISA flaps ($700 for a pair)
6. Probably looking at a clutch kit (DMFW $650 USD, Clutch kit $370 USD, shifter linkage components $100 USD)
7. Engine mounts/Bracket bolts
8. Drive shaft guibos (at most $200 USD for both)
9. At that mileage, your half shaft boots must be on their way out.
10. Similarly, diff and transmission bushings might need replacing.
11. Any oil leaks?
12. Does the car burn oil?
13. Expansion tank can crack, it's good to replace. ($80 USD)
14. Your headlight issue could get expensive.
15. Was the airbag recall done? I think they replace the sensor in the seat.
16. Battery

Just look for a 328i/330i. 328i slightly less maintenance due to no DISA flaps and built in PCV in the Valve cover. 2007-2009 328i could have an issue with camledge bearing wear if oil was rarely changed. You'd see Vanos related codes before buying. If you want a car for 2 years, pay more for a low mileage 328i. I've noticed the value of a clean 328i/330i 6speed steadily increasing, but at the end of the day you're buying a BMW for the driving experience and not a store of value.

Also if you can, check for subframe rust and scan the car.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 09-21-2022 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
mpelley92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Toyota Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Why not get a 328i/330i? The prices are fairly similar (5000CAD ~3800USD). With that kind of mileage, the car could be on its last leg for all you know.

Can you resell for what you're paying? Probably not as only enthusiasts would go for that kind of mileage and not many people want the 323i.

In terms of maintenance, you could be looking to put in what you paid for the car even if you DIY. Maybe suspension is optional, but things like vanos solenoids, waterpump/thermostat, torn half shaft boots, PCV issues could be potential costs.

1. When was the waterpump/thermostat replaced? Typically done every 120k km-180k km. ($370 USD)
2. Were the vanos solenoids replaced ($400 USD for the pair)
3. When were the suspension components replaced? ($600-700 for Bilstein B4 Struts, $1200 for front/rear control arm/tie rod components.
4. PCV/Valve cover
5. Not entirely sure if the 2007 323i has DISA flaps ($700 for a pair)
6. Probably looking at a clutch kit (DMFW $650 USD, Clutch kit $370 USD, shifter linkage components $100 USD)
7. Engine mounts/Bracket bolts
8. Drive shaft guibos (at most $200 USD for both)
9. At that mileage, your half shaft boots must be on their way out.
10. Similarly, diff and transmission bushings might need replacing.
11. Any oil leaks?
12. Does the car burn oil?
13. Expansion tank can crack, it's good to replace. ($80 USD)
14. Your headlight issue could get expensive.
15. Was the airbag recall done? I think they replace the sensor in the seat.
16. Battery

Just look for a 328i/330i. 328i slightly less maintenance due to no DISA flaps and built in PCV in the Valve cover. 2007-2009 328i could have an issue with camledge bearing wear if oil was rarely changed. You'd see Vanos related codes before buying. If you want a car for 2 years, pay more for a low mileage 328i. I've noticed the value of a clean 328i/330i 6speed steadily increasing, but at the end of the day you're buying a BMW for the driving experience and not a store of value.

Also if you can, check for subframe rust and scan the car.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm starting to think I'm not really ready for a BMW at this point in life. I initially looked at it as just a long-range comfortable ride, but then again, I can get that from a Toyota.

To answer your questions one by one:
1. No information on that
2. No information on that
3. He recently installed Bilstein struts, just not sure which ones they were or when
4. Valve cover was done within the last year
5. Not sure about that
6. The clutch seemed fine, is that something that wears out fast on these cars?
7. No information on that
8. No information on that
9. No information on that
10. No information on that
11. No information on that
12. He kind of bounced around answering that question, so I'm not sure
13. No information on that
14. Thinking so
15. No information on that
16. No information on that

Like I said, I think considering the things you mention about resale value, I may just not be ready for a BMW yet in my life. Money isn't too big of an issue, but I prefer reliability over "driving experience", at least during this point in my life.

Again, thanks for the reply. I think I'm just going to tell him I'm not interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #4
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
With 300k mileage, some of the parts should have already been replaced but then since you don't have much information on when it was done, I would walk away.

$5k is overpriced for a base model 3 e90.

Is there accident history? Did you run a Carfax?
Appreciate 0