E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler question

05-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Intercooler question

So I know and have read many of the "do mods void warranty" threads and I know the answer. My question is specifically for an intercooler though. I really want to upgrade my fmic, but not at the expense of my warranty. I know Dinan sells intercoolers and BMW approves their upgrades, so right there it shows they approve of an intercooler upgrade, which would lead me to think upgrading intercoolers in general would be okay?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
So I know and have read many of the "do mods void warranty" threads and I know the answer. My question is specifically for an intercooler though. I really want to upgrade my fmic, but not at the expense of my warranty. I know Dinan sells intercoolers and BMW approves their upgrades, so right there it shows they approve of an intercooler upgrade, which would lead me to think upgrading intercoolers in general would be okay?
go ask your local dealer. Having an intercooler may not void your warranty. it all depends what the problem or part you need replaced or going in for. Also, there is always RISK going into the dealer with mods. 99% of the time they will always try to blame the problem on a mod they may see, even if it has nothing to do with the problem.
      05-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley View Post
go ask your local dealer. Having an intercooler may not void your warranty. it all depends what the problem or part you need replaced or going in for. Also, there is always RISK going into the dealer with mods. 99% of the time they will always try to blame the problem on a mod they may see, even if it has nothing to do with the problem.
I understand that, but to bring up the fact that they allow dinan parts and one of those parts is an intercooler I would think they wouldn't have much of an argument. If they blame an intercooler for something failing then why would they allow an aftermarket Dinan intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
I understand that, but to bring up the fact that they allow dinan parts and one of those parts is an intercooler I would think they wouldn't have much of an argument. If they blame an intercooler for something failing then why would they allow an aftermarket Dinan intercooler?
I think you might have a slight misunderstanding on how Dinan works - BMW doesn't approve any aftermarket changes, even from Dinan. Dinan just matches the BMW warranty - should anything go wrong, and the dealer doesn't cover it, Dinan will cover it.

I agree with the post above - talk to your dealer about it. Some may be OK with an intercooler, some may not.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=richpike;15941308]I think you might have a slight misunderstanding on how Dinan works - BMW doesn't approve any aftermarket changes, even from Dinan. Dinan just matches the BMW warranty - should anything go wrong, and the dealer doesn't cover it, Dinan will cover it.

I agree with the post above - talk to your dealer about it. Some may be OK with an intercooler, some may not.

-Rich[/QUOTE

Oh ok I understand. Well I guess it would be hard to convince them you just are putting an intercooler in and not tuning it, so that would be a tough argument to win.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Chances are they will never notice it if you get Wagner or some that doesn't scream at you from the front of the car. Unless they have to remove your front bumper for something they won't see it. Secondly dealers like doing warranty work, they will not simply shoo you away because of an intercooler.

For something major like turbos, ya you might get some trouble depends in the dealer but only because they will double check your DME for a tune once they see the FMIC for major work like that.

My last 335i (May she rest in peace) had a tune FMIC DCI and exhaust and I never had a problem. Injectors, coils, gaskets galore, water pump, HPFP, not one issue. For common issues that plague this car I do t think they will hassle you. Just don't be a dick to your SA and you don't sound like one.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4cs 2020

Also don't forget the fact that in the event they do try to void the warranty they have to give proof without a doubt the aftermarket part was the cause if the issue. Else your lawyer could have a field day with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have a FBO car (jb4,cobb,dci,intercooler,dp,inline LPFP).
Asked my dealer and they said as long the reason why you are visiting the dealership is not related to one of the mods they do not care what you have added.
If you visit is related to the mod (highly doubt it would be related to an intercooler) dealer said just remove the mod before you get here

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Jhe
JHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

Correctum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbudh001 View Post
Also don't forget the fact that in the event they do try to void the warranty they have to give proof without a doubt the aftermarket part was the cause if the issue. Else your lawyer could have a field day with them.
This a true statement. It doesn't hurt to find a cool service writer just for a little piece of mind.
Appreciate 0