E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Where to buy 3m adhesion promoter in Vancouver?

09-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Where to buy 3m adhesion promoter in Vancouver?

Any ideas? I tried Canadian tire, Industrial Paint and Napa so far.
It's to install my front lip.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
JustinTS
Lurker
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

I've used alcohol wipes or isopropyl alcohol as a substitute for adhesion promoter. I've had no problems thus far with my performance spoiler and a previous front lip.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTS
I've used alcohol wipes or isopropyl alcohol as a substitute for adhesion promoter. I've had no problems thus far with my performance spoiler and a previous front lip.
Ok thanks. I'll do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette
I had the same problem as you when I installed my high kick spoiler. I ended up buying a couple off eBay for 5 bucks shipped. I literally couldn't find that stuff anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano
Quote:
I had the same problem as you when I installed my high kick spoiler. I ended up buying a couple off eBay for 5 bucks shipped. I literally couldn't find that stuff anywhere.
Yeah. Well I couldn't wait for it to be shipped so I installed it last night without using it. I guess I'll find out soon enough if that was a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. Well I couldn't wait for it to be shipped so I installed it last night without using it. I guess I'll find out soon enough if that was a mistake.
As long as you wiped it with alcohol I'm sure that lip won't be going nowhere for a good while
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As long as you wiped it with alcohol I'm sure that lip won't be going nowhere for a good while
I did. Really well. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Adhesion promoter does more than alcohol and while alcohol works many times, for something like a front lip, I'd definitely use it. A long time ago I owned a dash kit company and so used a lot of 3M tape, there is a big difference in how the tape sticks with just alcohol vs. if you use the promoter. It has a little alcohol in it, but it also has a lot of other nasty chemicals and even a little epoxy. You're not even supposed to ship it in large quantities without declaring it as hazardous, at the time, UPS wouldn't send it via air.

FWIW, I'd keep an eye on the front lip. So many stories about them flying off and getting run over.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191
Adhesion promoter does more than alcohol and while alcohol works many times, for something like a front lip, I'd definitely use it. A long time ago I owned a dash kit company and so used a lot of 3M tape, there is a big difference in how the tape sticks with just alcohol vs. if you use the promoter. It has a little alcohol in it, but it also has a lot of other nasty chemicals and even a little epoxy. You're not even supposed to ship it in large quantities without declaring it as hazardous, at the time, UPS wouldn't send it via air.

FWIW, I'd keep an eye on the front lip. So many stories about them flying off and getting run over.
Haha yup, I've lost one lip already. I'll probably get some new holes drilled into this lip since none matched up and it's not bolted at all.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
omniboo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Touring, MT

I work at 3M Canada and I used to make Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter!

I'm not violating any company policy when I tell you there isn't alcohol in it. The label clearly lists its' components by % content. Toluene is the biggest ingredient. And there's a little acetone in it too.

This stuff is designed to help filler stick to the plastic bumpers. But I've used it for painting not only the front lip of my e30, but to paint all kinds of crap. Like actually spraying those resin muskoka chairs before spraying them black - the paint's still clinging after 3 years!

Alcohol just removes grease and oil before you paint it. This stuff is designed to 'etch' the surface and make it slightly sticky to give whatever goes on next a better grip. That includes paint, in my opinion.

I had the bumper cover of my Honda ep3 painted last year and insisted he use Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter first. I do a ton of highway driving with the thing, and it's my winter beater, and there are no tiny little chips in it yet, which can really give it away it was repainted.

It's always hard to find some 3M stuff and it drives people crazy. A lot of people I meet who learn I work there have a story about some favourite product they can't find anywhere. I work there and can't get hands on some stuff! We'd really be a great company if they hired an ad agency and told people where to get stuff.

I digress.

And, because of the toluene and propane propellent, I can't stress enough to use it in a well ventilated space without sparks! And, for christ's sake, wear a respirator.

that is all.
Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniboo
I work at 3M Canada and I used to make Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter!

I'm not violating any company policy when I tell you there isn't alcohol in it. The label clearly lists its' components by % content. Toluene is the biggest ingredient. And there's a little acetone in it too.

This stuff is designed to help filler stick to the plastic bumpers. But I've used it for painting not only the front lip of my e30, but to paint all kinds of crap. Like actually spraying those resin muskoka chairs before spraying them black - the paint's still clinging after 3 years!

Alcohol just removes grease and oil before you paint it. This stuff is designed to 'etch' the surface and make it slightly sticky to give whatever goes on next a better grip. That includes paint, in my opinion.

I had the bumper cover of my Honda ep3 painted last year and insisted he use Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter first. I do a ton of highway driving with the thing, and it's my winter beater, and there are no tiny little chips in it yet, which can really give it away it was repainted.

It's always hard to find some 3M stuff and it drives people crazy. A lot of people I meet who learn I work there have a story about some favourite product they can't find anywhere. I work there and can't get hands on some stuff! We'd really be a great company if they hired an ad agency and told people where to get stuff.

I digress.

And, because of the toluene and propane propellent, I can't stress enough to use it in a well ventilated space without sparks! And, for christ's sake, wear a respirator.

that is all.
Cheers.
Wow, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0