E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dreaded DPF and Engine Issues

09-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Coupe

Dreaded DPF and Engine Issues

I have 2008 335D with 90,000 on the clock.

Earlier in the year the DPF warning light started coming on so i added some forte DPF cleaner to the fuel and the light stopped coming on after around 1/2 tank. Did about 2,000 miles motorway and fast A Road driving and now the light is coming back on.

Engine has now also developed a rough idle on startup (had same issue at start of the year and had all glow plug and Glow Plug Control Unit changed) also feeling a bit sluggish and slow to respond in Auto.........

Anyone had anything similar?

Last edited by rovers_andy; 09-29-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I take it you had the glow plugs and glow plug controller replaced?

Really you need to have the fault codes read. It's likely there is a primary problem which is preventing the DPF from regenerating.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

It's probably something to do with having spark plugs changed considering it doesn't have any..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
It's probably something to do with having spark plugs changed considering it doesn't have any..
haha sorry writing thread when i've just woken up didn't help
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

You say it's a 335D? If your car is a diesel it will have glow plugs. I don't really understand what you are talking about with regards to spark plugs. Diesel engines do not require them...

Edit:

Ah I've just seen you've changed your first post. So, we need to know what codes are being thrown which indicate why the DPF may not be regenerating.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah sorry it is Diesel. Waiting for AA man to come and look at the car and plug his Diagnostics kit in then i can what the error codes are
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
David c
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport

It could be anything when it comes to these dpf's it's a minefield,when mine was playing up it was down to the egr valve sticking and that took bmw the third attempt to find that.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok The Error Codes are 4D00 4667 480A 481A.

If anyone can help me out with what they are?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
PAULDON
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovers_andy View Post
Ok The Error Codes are 4D00 4667 480A 481A.

If anyone can help me out with what they are?
480A DPF -Bank 1
481A DPF -Bank 1
4667 – partikal filter system
4D00 Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor Bank 1

These are all DPF codes as to be expected with your symptoms, you DPF is probably full of soot. Its very important that your car reaches the correct running temperature i.e 85 Degrees - 95 Degrees (Coolant water temp) .

Or the DPF will not regenrate, and will clog eventually (this could be the cause). Another cause is frequent short journeys in the car, and it not getting up to temperature and so not re-generating.

You need to go into your secret settings in the dash display, to find your running temp. The 335d has x2 thermostats, one Main and one EGR, they are both very prone to failure. And they get stuck open, and the engine runs cool. (preventing the re-gen process)

You can do a force re-gen but it will need to be plugged into a BMW diagnostic (DIS), DIS will also tell you how full your DPF actually is. You can also try some more DPF cleaner to clear it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

The back pressure sensor is the one that's concerning.

480A and 481A refer directly to the DPF being partially and then heavily clogged.

I'd PM old_grey_steve and get his opinion. There have been lots of recent DPF threads.

There is obviously an underlying problem which needs sorting before any forced regens are attempted as PAULDON suggests.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting back to me. i'm relaying this info 2nd hand but apparently the AA guy said with regard to 4D00 code that the reading was too high and it was right on the limit of 35???

Do you think it will be safe to drive to the garage or will it be better on a truck?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
PAULDON
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

You would get excessive exhaust back pressure if your DPF was clogged
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
phozy888
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

agree with @PAULDON most likely low running temp causing it not to regen.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Paul and Phozy for the replies it will be taken to the garage this week and i will make sure they look at the thermostats.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
phozy888
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

you can check the temp in the hidden menu. You need to add up your vim numbers to give you the code. Then access the hidden menu by pressing the milage reset thing for a few secs until you get the menus.

Then its option 19 if I remember right , then press the reset button until you've reached the code 'calculated' by your vim number.

Once this is done go to option 7 - which will show you the temps.

my Temps around 88-90 deg on idle.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Phozy, thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
The back pressure sensor is the one that's concerning.

480A and 481A refer directly to the DPF being partially and then heavily clogged.

I'd PM old_grey_steve and get his opinion. There have been lots of recent DPF threads.

There is obviously an underlying problem which needs sorting before any forced regens are attempted as PAULDON suggests.
Oh gee thanks WE do see a fair few DPF issues true and there are a wide range of reasons why they pop up

480A/81A are commonish back pressure sensor faults, temp faults aren't unheard off either we look at the codes but also look for "why they've triggered" as we can call upon data stored to find out why, from poor quality fuel(yes diag reads if the fuels been underpar)to low fuel to an off day for a sensor we can read it all but codes do appear for a reason its discovering why thats the key.

From memory the above was an 82000 mile 335d DPF that was removed by us, repalced with a customer supplied "cleaned"unit from a internet company that had them exchange off the shelf, fitted by us all data cleared sensors replaced and it lasted roughly 70 odd miles before light came back, checked all work/sensors and done a back pressure test(which came back abnormally high!) and opted to do the only thing possible and take it off for a look and at the front flowing section of the replacment unit nothing untoward was found meaning the gasses to it were flowing as specified yet turn it round and look at the back and it looked way way to clean meaning back pressure measured up with the item we were looking at.

Customer opted for a new Gen BMW CAT as we'd suggested from day 1 fitted and all codes dialed out car drove A1 from the word go I understand the cars done 4k+ with no issues whatsoever.

The only thing I can honestly say is get it read by someone with Autologic like we have or gen BMW diag kit which we also have as its in depth info that'll assist you re what's going on

But on cars with 90k on we've removed DPF's and they've been heavily clogged and some clogged beyond recovery with less mileage too

Last edited by old grey steve; 09-30-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Oh gee thanks WE do see a fair few DPF issues true and there are a wide range of reasons why they pop up

480A/81A are commonish back pressure sensor faults, temp faults aren't unheard off either we look at the codes but also look for "why they've triggered" as we can call upon data stored to find out why, from poor quality fuel(yes diag reads if the fuels been underpar)to low fuel to an off day for a sensor we can read it all but codes do appear for a reason its discovering why thats the key.

From memory the above was an 82000 mile 335d DPF that was removed by us, repalced with a customer supplied "cleaned"unit from a internet company that had them exchange off the shelf, fitted by us all data cleared sensors replaced and it lasted roughly 70 odd miles before light came back, checked all work/sensors and done a back pressure test(which came back abnormally high!) and opted to do the only thing possible and take it off for a look and at the front flowing section of the replacment unit nothing untoward was found meaning the gasses to it were flowing as specified yet turn it round and look at the back and it looked way way to clean meaning back pressure measured up with the item we were looking at.

Customer opted for a new Gen BMW CAT as we'd suggested from day 1 fitted and all codes dialed out car drove A1 from the word go I understand the cars done 4k+ with no issues whatsoever.

The only thing I can honestly say is get it read by someone with Autologic like we have or gen BMW diag kit which we also have as its in depth info that'll assist you re what's going on

But on cars with 90k on we've removed DPF's and they've been heavily clogged and some clogged beyond recovery with less mileage too
Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply

Just waiting to get the car taken to the garage now but have to wait for AA to sort recovery truck as i don't want to risk driving it.

I'm still hoping it is dodgy sensor or maybe thermostats stuck open as others have said. I've had the car from 42K and its had regular runs on the motorway........
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So a quick update. DPF was removed and cleaned in an Ultrasonic bath. DPF has been refitted and test run for 80 miles so far by the garage. No lights or warnings so far. Just waiting for a copy of the service report and i'll post the before and after back pressure readings.....it looks like if done correctly and before the dpf is too clogged then Ultrasonic cleaning can work. Will reserve judgement until i've put a few 1,000 on it though
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Old Steve ,
would it not be a good idea for us with working dis software to force a regen A couple of times along a decent run ? One regen after another? just to clean out the dpf even if it has no issues just as a prevention method or would this cause more harm than good?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Leah. Just for info the garage first changed the DPF pressure sensors and main and EGR thermostats then tried to do a forced regen but DPF was too clogged for the forced regen to work, hence the decision to remove and attempt ultrasonic cleaning.

Total for everything was 750
Appreciate 0