E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > E90 Battery Drain after Valve Cover Gasket Coolant Pump Running Key Out

01-16-2024, 08:46 AM   #1
alexrok
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335

E90 Battery Drain after Valve Cover Gasket Coolant Pump Running Key Out

I mistakenly made this post in the regional forums and am unsure how to delete it.

2009 323i. Just did the valve cover gasket. The battery died during the operation and i brought it back with a trickle charger.

Now, the first time i started it up the idle was a little low. I brought it back home and had trouble starting. Basically after parked, the battery would die hard.

The car is draining the battery with the water pump running constantly even with the key out. I checked the temp sensors and the values seem OK? I'm not sure how to diagnose it... someone said the car might be in "maintenance mode"? I have no clue what that is...

There is an aftermarket head unit, and the little sensor on the cowl is unplugged, which may explain some codes.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
TLMNICK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, E91, E93

Based on your scan data, my suspicion is you need a new water pump. You probably need a new battery too if it drains within a few minutes of turning the engine off.

I had this issue once before where the water pump would run after shutting the engine down. I didn't have any battery issues, but once I swapped out the water pump, it's been good ever since. That was a few years ago.

I doubt it has anything to do with your valve cover gasket job. Just a coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:44 PM   #3
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrok View Post
There is an aftermarket head unit, and the little sensor on the cowl is unplugged, which may explain some codes.
I think that explains all the codes.

Leave it on the trickle charger for a day and see what happens. If the pump is running (you say it is) and it's not throwing any codes(they're not in the results) then the pump is probably fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
alexrok
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335

I put a new battery in and note that the pump is no longer constantly running,
though, it is still draining with a 3a draw. Now im confused.
Appreciate 0