E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 2010.08.22 - NASA HPDE @ Thunderhill

08-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
meepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

2010.08.22 - NASA HPDE @ Thunderhill

Finally got my Go Pro Hero setup and posted a few videos to Vimeo. Check out my turn 5a spinout @ 8:40 below:

Made the mistake of letting off the throttle as I crested the top of the off-camber turn. Also wasn't far enough left, so lost some traction at the crest. That being said, the car felt great with the Dinan Stage III Suspension, Morr VS8s and Michelin PS2s. Only real issue was that it felt a bit low on the acceleration...overall good times at Thunderhill.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Nice video. I've been seriously considering getting a Hero. Looks real clean. How/where is it mounted?

I've run Thunderhill several times. Turn 5 is common for a spin out because of that crest. The worst thing to do is turn and lift off the throttle. For anyone new, it's a natural reaction to lift off throttle when going over a blind hill but as you can see, the end result isn't so nice... lots of vacuuming needed. LOL.

Going out again anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Nice video. I've been seriously considering getting a Hero. Looks real clean. How/where is it mounted?

I've run Thunderhill several times. Turn 5 is common for a spin out because of that crest. The worst thing to do is turn and lift off the throttle. For anyone new, it's a natural reaction to lift off throttle when going over a blind hill but as you can see, the end result isn't so nice... lots of vacuuming needed. LOL.

Actually...T5 isnt that popular for spinning out. T1, T2, and T3 are...T8, T9, and T10 are...as well as T14. I personally have spun at T1, T3, T8, T9, and T10. I have about 80 track days at Thunderhill.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for sharing the video. Have wanted to try Thunderhill but it's just so far north.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can mount upside down with a suction cup off the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330MX View Post
You can mount upside down with a suction cup off the sunroof.
Yep - I used two different mount points. Session 1 & 2 are from a mount point under/behind my front bumper license plate holder. Session 3 is the upside-down suction cup from the moon roof right above the passenger's window. The first two sessions are a little shaky in comparison to the suction cup mount in session 3. I'm going to try to use RaceRender to add in the track map w/ data logging I got via Rev + Kiwi Wi-Fi.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The worst thing to do is turn and lift off the throttle. For anyone new, it's a natural reaction to lift off throttle when going over a blind hill but as you can see, the end result isn't so nice... lots of vacuuming needed. LOL.

Yeh, I spun in Session 4 (didn't have enough battery, forgot to turn off the camera after session 3 and didn't bring the charger) on Turn 8 for the same reason. Commitment is important! Never lift, it's better to tap the break with the throttle in (like DSC) than to lift.

It'll be a bit before I head back to Thunderhill, but going to the NASA event at Infineon during the weekend of the 25th. Drop me a line if you're headed up there.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Actually...T5 isnt that popular for spinning out. T1, T2, and T3 are...T8, T9, and T10 are...as well as T14. I personally have spun at T1, T3, T8, T9, and T10. I have about 80 track days at Thunderhill.
Hmmm. Well, although I've tracked several times at Thunderhill, you have a lot more experience there.

Funny, I've most seen most go off at T5a (crest, if not using Cyclone), T3 (off camber), & T9 (wrong line).

Personally, I've spun T3 but nowhere else there. Can't recall seeing a spin at T1 but if so, must have come in pretty hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
Yeh, I spun in Session 4 (didn't have enough battery, forgot to turn off the camera after session 3 and didn't bring the charger) on Turn 8 for the same reason. Commitment is important! Never lift, it's better to tap the break with the throttle in (like DSC) than to lift.

It'll be a bit before I head back to Thunderhill, but going to the NASA event at Infineon during the weekend of the 25th. Drop me a line if you're headed up there.
Actually, that's the day I plan to go! I'm just waiting for confirmation from a friend. I'm trying to get him to at least try Hyperdrive. I usually run 3 but I'm going to sign up for 2 so that I can run with 1/hyperdrive group. Then, maybe I'll switch back to 3. What run group do you take? Have you already signed up?

Lastly, I haven't run this year. Looks like the membership cost went up to $70. Do you know if that's a 1 yr membership or just for remainder of 2010?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, although I've tracked several times at Thunderhill, you have a lot more experience there.

Funny, I've most seen most go off at T5a (crest, if not using Cyclone), T3 (off camber), & T9 (wrong line).

Personally, I've spun T3 but nowhere else there. Can't recall seeing a spin at T1 but if so, must have come in pretty hot.

Actually, that's the day I plan to go! I'm just waiting for confirmation from a friend. I'm trying to get him to at least try Hyperdrive. I usually run 3 but I'm going to sign up for 2 so that I can run with 1/hyperdrive group. Then, maybe I'll switch back to 3. What run group do you take? Have you already signed up?

Lastly, I haven't run this year. Looks like the membership cost went up to $70. Do you know if that's a 1 yr membership or just for remainder of 2010?
I have seen more than a few get squirrelly exiting T5...wagging their tail...but only a few spun. Now if you do the bypass to T5...then it is different..you come over haulin ass..and cant see a damn thing..if you have your wheels turned slightly when you hit the ground again..you can spin. Yes, turning on T1...was very fun...I managed to stay on the track though. It was early in my driving career...and I lifted since my line was wrong and I was running out of track on exit.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I have seen more than a few get squirrelly exiting T5...wagging their tail...but only a few spun. Now if you do the bypass to T5...then it is different..you come over haulin ass..and cant see a damn thing..if you have your wheels turned slightly when you hit the ground again..you can spin. Yes, turning on T1...was very fun...I managed to stay on the track though. It was early in my driving career...and I lifted since my line was wrong and I was running out of track on exit.
Oh yeh, this was with the bypass.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yep, signed up a while ago. I think 1 is full, 2 might be also for Saturday. Rigth now I'm 1 on Sat and 2 on Sun.

The membership is for a full year AFAIK. Hopefully I'll see you out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

I just renewed my membership. It cost $45. $70 was for a license but I don't need that. Yes, you're right. It's a full 1 year from sign-up so I'm covered til Sep 2011.

I'm running Group 2 on Saturday. I noticed group 1 is open again. Looks like they may have added another.

They usually put 1 and 2 together. I hope they do as I'm trying to get a few more friends signed up for their first event. Hopefully, we'll run together too.

Anyone else here going to join?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

BTW, this is my first event in the 335i. Anyone have experience with one on Infineon? I'm especially curious about the handling on T10 and the braking at T11.

I'm certain the 335i will out-handle my SLK55 on the turns but will the brakes last the entire session? The brakes on the SLK were fade-free.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, this is my first event in the 335i. Anyone have experience with one on Infineon? I'm especially curious about the handling on T10 and the braking at T11.

I'm certain the 335i will out-handle my SLK55 on the turns but will the brakes last the entire session? The brakes on the SLK were fade-free.

Yes, I have gone to Infineon probably 6-8 days in my 335i. Turn 10 is fine...T11 you will have to baby the car around there..in stock form it will push. Mine had a non-staggered set up with R compounds..and so I have slight oversteer (with PSS9 coilovers, set with 6F/4R).....without an LSD...you will not be very happy with accelerating out of T11...your right rear wheel will spin a ton until you have fully rotated. Good luck. I have video at home..but it is not converted to Youtube yet.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

I'm running HR Sports and Yellows so the car should handle a little better around that corner but yeah, I remember it being very slow anyway.

My biggest concern is braking for 11. I'll take it easy there until through first couple of sessions.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Yankees 2010
Private First Class
Rep

Looks nerve racking approaching the hills! BTW what kind of brake pads were you using?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 2010 View Post
Looks nerve racking approaching the hills! BTW what kind of brake pads were you using?
All stock, quite a few miles on them too.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

Great videos!

I also got the GoPro HD and tried out the your sunroof mount location. I figured this will only work if you didnt have a passenger/instructor sitting there. What were your video settings? Also, was curious how you flipped the image since GoPro has not released this firmware upgrade yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

counter steer faster and more . I dont think you were too far off from catching it
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
figured this will only work if you didnt have a passenger/instructor sitting there. What were your video settings? Also, was curious how you flipped the image.
X2

I just picked up a cheapo Kodak HD camera for $116. I'll attach it to my sunroof with my Manfrotto mount. Want to know what software can flip the image.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
Great videos!

I also got the GoPro HD and tried out the your sunroof mount location. I figured this will only work if you didnt have a passenger/instructor sitting there. What were your video settings? Also, was curious how you flipped the image since GoPro has not released this firmware upgrade yet.
I used MPEG StreamClip to rotate the image:
http://www.squared5.com/

Looks hokey, but works and is free. I'm going to try to overlay my data from rev with racerender:
http://www.racerender.com/

Just haven't had the time to investigate.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
I used MPEG StreamClip to rotate the image:
http://www.squared5.com/

Looks hokey, but works and is free. I'm going to try to overlay my data from rev with racerender:
http://www.racerender.com/

Just haven't had the time to investigate.
Thanks for the advise! I actually figured out how to flip the video on iMovie on the Mac, but the StreamClip is much simpler and faster program to use! Thanks! Any advise on GoPro settings?
Appreciate 0