E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > All 6 injectors fail?

02-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #45
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I've thought about the situation with the engines discussed in this thread and the e mail the OP was sent. This wording they use of 'gesture of goodwill', is not the same legally as accepting liability and admitting and agreeing that the numerous incidents with the engines means 'not fit for purpose', hence presumably why the cost of labour isn't covered (although they're arguing because of no warranty).

Either way you shouldn't have to tolerate this from a so called premium brand, because as far as I know, the dealers take instructions from the manufacturer (and yes there are other German marques with coil and injector issues but not on this scale). Will be interesting to see what comes of the law suit in the US re. the 35i.

I'm not criticising you Graham, but just curious, why you didn't take out a warranty or did you not know about the possible problems with the engine before you bought the car?

Last edited by beemerbird; 02-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
Graham W
Rep
Drives: 3251 M Sport Cab

I had no idea there were problems and the car has been without fault through the 3 years, when the recall work was done it was called in I had no issues with the car and have been very happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #47
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I'm not sure what to suggest...injectors are NOT what I would consider a "consumable". They should be good for the life of the car surely? I appreciate that odd one or two may die but ALL 6 on the same car?

They were replaced at 8,400miles and now all 6 are dead after just 24,000miles? I'm not buying it for a minute.

Ask the dealership why, if they are willing to release the error codes that have been logged, they will not hand over the printout from the diagnostic tool? What are they worried about people (you/anyone else) seeing?

I would be applying pressure on BMW with a view to them swallowing the entire cost of this. Clearly there was a recall, did the replacement parts/recall procedure actually fix the issue?

I would be looking for an independent mechanic with a diagnostic tool to have a look a the car. I would also be willing to bet they would hand over the printouts without a fuss. However, the only independent that I know of that is always highly rated is Birds (never used them myself though). They're in the South though and I realise it's a bit of a mission for you. However, it might be worth the trip down to get them to look at the car, if their diagnostic read is at odds with the dealer then I would be spitting nails.

I simply do not believe that ALL 6 of the plugs, injectors and coils need replacing UNLESS there is a more serious underlying problem. It sounds like the lazy route to gouging you for a wedge of cash to cure a misfire.

I wonder if a Bavarian Technic tool would be capable of reading the information we need?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #48
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
I had no idea there were problems and the car has been without fault through the 3 years, when the recall work was done it was called in I had no issues with the car and have been very happy.
This is the thing isn't it, you're happy with the car apart from this recent fiasco. Just brings back bad memories on my first new car ever bought a few years ago.

Anyhow, in case you didn't know, the US lawsuit is re. the 35i engine and not yours but what I meant was the actual engine parts. So the Yanks do have their uses lol, and if it wasn't for them the clutch thrust bearing fault on the Audi S5 (manuals) wouldn't have been sorted under warranty work and if it wasn't for t'internet, I wouldn't have known what to look out for whilst test driving them. They pushed and pushed Audi and got them to admit it was an issue, although as with yours, not a safety issue and doesn't happen with every car etc.

Hope you get it sorted as all you want to do is continue to enjoy your car at the end of the day as do we all.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #49
Graham W
Rep

Thank you alll for comments and support BMW Uk have rang me to say they will pick up the bill for all repairs, I rang the dealer and he offered me a loan car, maybe I hit a nerve asking for diagnostics I will never know, I was cheeky and asked the dealer if the repairs came with a warrenty? The answer A point blank no!!!!!!! any way I am happy for now, Thanks again and have a great weekend and happy motoring
Regards
Graham
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #50
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
Thank you alll for comments and support BMW Uk have rang me to say they will pick up the bill for all repairs, I rang the dealer and he offered me a loan car, maybe I hit a nerve asking for diagnostics I will never know, I was cheeky and asked the dealer if the repairs came with a warrenty? The answer A point blank no!!!!!!! any way I am happy for now, Thanks again and have a great weekend and happy motoring
Regards
Graham
Now that's a result!

However, surely the newly installed parts will be warrantied???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #51
Graham W
Rep

They said not
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #52
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Who the hell is this dealer? Surely any newly fitted parts/repairs should be warrantied to be free of defects for a period of time (usually a year) after they have been installed???

What would happen if the car developed a problem and any of the injectors needed replacing again? I'm not trying to rain on your parade as you've got a great result out of the dealer/BMW in terms of the bill. However, the lack of warranty on the newly fitted parts smells fishy to me and I would ask for clarification on this.

Also, you are allowed to name the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #53
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

What startled me is that they want to replace the DME too? What's up with that?
If the problem was the DME, the whole thing wouldn't work anyway regardless of the plugs/coils/injectors!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #54
Graham W
Rep

Dealer is Rybrook in Shrewsbury
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #55
Graham W
Rep

Just had BMW on the phone, replaced 6 injectors 6 coils 6 spark plugs and management computor,
Guess what the diognostic now say cat convertor needs replacing £3500 however they will pay for convertor and half labour leaving me a bill of £274+VAT
Is there anything else can go wrong on a 32000 miles car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #56
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Hrm,

It sounds to me like there has been a fundemental issue with this car at some point.

Speculating now but maybe the cat needs replacing because unburnt fuel has been geting pushed into it on the exhaust stroke? I wonder if the DME has been on the fritz for a while and as a consequence eventually trashed everything else?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #57
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Hrm,

It sounds to me like there has been a fundemental issue with this car at some point.

Speculating now but maybe the cat needs replacing because unburnt fuel has been geting pushed into it on the exhaust stroke? I wonder if the DME has been on the fritz for a while and as a consequence eventually trashed everything else?
Is usually the case in north american cars. computer goes kaput and takes out the cat.
If that happens to me, I go catless.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #58
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

How can a cat cost £3500??????????????????? Modern cars are becoming throwaway - you can't change anything economically...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #59
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
How can a cat cost £3500??????????????????? Modern cars are becoming throwaway - you can't change anything economically...
Indeed. The problem is, some of us need our cars to last a good few years (a decade even!).

In the past it was common to see 20 year old vehicles being driven around and to some extent you still do today. I doubt it will be the case soon.

Step outside today and you will see plenty of early E46 models being driven around. However, in 10 years time how many E9x cars do you think will still be on the road?

I have a feeling there are so many (complex) electrics and the components are so expensive that they might become uneconomical to keep on the road once things start failing out of warranty.

A hypothetical £3,000 bill would be insane, you could lease a car for £300 a month surely? And get a new one every 3 years no? Ok it might not be a beemer but with the prospect of a repair bill well into 4-figures just outside of warranty....who could blame anyone for choosing not to outright own a car any more?

Also, what are the odds that it's all a cunning ploy by manufacturers to ensure new models continue to sell???
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #60
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

I think it is a ploy, to an extent. I drive an auto purely due to current mileage, normally I'd want a manual but soon there will be none. DSG-type gearboxes and even modern autos are not that reliable - but they give OEM's the ability to fudge the CO2 figures a bit and make the cars massively complex and expensive to buy/repair. Electrics are now silly. Many parts have crazy prices.

At least quality marques like BMW have manufacturer-supported extended warranties (though only up to 100k) - generic aftermarket warranties have a terrible record for paying out on anything major.

All quite depressing! Time to buy a 911SC and another Caterham
Appreciate 0