E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering vibration when braking hard?

07-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #45
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post18237960

all sorted
      07-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #46
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

So yesterday I went to Steve and received the usual A* service. Hopefully the problem is now resolved, for those interested please see Steve's excellent write up:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post18237960

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:45 AM   #47
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Very pleased for Seb. Sadly, having already changed discs and pads twice, it's not my issue. Actually wondering if it might be rear discs after all. The deep groaning noise/vibration is not felt through the steering, but through the whole bodyshell and up through the seat, which can indicate rear rather than front. New rear discs and pads to be fitted soon.

I like the idea of using the MOT rollers to check brake balance - might try that...

I'll keep everyone following this thread updated.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #48
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Very pleased for Seb. Sadly, having already changed discs and pads twice, it's not my issue. Actually wondering if it might be rear discs after all. The deep groaning noise/vibration is not felt through the steering, but through the whole bodyshell and up through the seat, which can indicate rear rather than front. New rear discs and pads to be fitted soon.

I like the idea of using the MOT rollers to check brake balance - might try that...

Do what Seb did Phil PM me a picture or 2 of all your brakes side on and we'll go from there at least I can look, valid point re the rears but you'll feel a tremor through the wheel, re your front what brand out of interest did you go with
      07-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #49
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Do what Seb did Phil PM me a picture or 2 of all your brakes side on and we'll go from there at least I can look, valid point re the rears but you'll feel a tremor through the wheel, re your front what brand out of interest did you go with
Finally ended up with genuine OE BMW parts (for front discs, pads, caliper and hub). Rears were from ECP and are Bosch (not fitted yet). I'm in the Far East at the mo, so won't be able to send you any pics until next week. Do you mean pics of fronts or rears? Only the fronts are only a few hundred miles old...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #50
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Finally ended up with genuine OE BMW parts (for front discs, pads, caliper and hub). Rears were from ECP and are Bosch (not fitted yet). I'm in the Far East at the mo, so won't be able to send you any pics until next week. Do you mean pics of fronts or rears? Only the fronts are only a few hundred miles old...
Phil I've found and as you can imagine we do shed load of brake replacements here that OEM parts fit and do not give us any grief, when we have fitted stuff like Pagid and TexTar and stuff like that we do I have to say get mixed results and mixed results for us sometimes mean a return customer which is inconvenient to all of us.

So common practice is to use OEM and guess what if you use OEM and there's a problem under their parts warranty BMW have the car back and providing its been fitted as required then under the warranty they will replace a part(s)as required if they find the product is defective.

Front by all means send a picture or 2 if you like rears why not send them too
      07-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #51
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Good luck Phil. I'd take Steve up on his generosity, the man is eagle eyed!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #52
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Good luck Phil. I'd take Steve up on his generosity, the man is eagle eyed!!
Dunno about that but I'll have a look yours were an easy spot though not severe when you looked closer the issue was just about visible sometimes thsts all it takes to create an isdue, along with paint covered sliders on occassions as the boss stated to you on Saturday there's a chance you'll get an isdue or two
      07-25-2015, 04:45 AM   #53
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Pleased to say that at last I've sorted my issue!

Just to back track, I was getting a grinding noise/vibration when braking from high speed (though not much through the steering).

Both my indy (who I totally trust) and me were convinced the noise was coming from the front of the car. So the following was done:
  • Replace front discs and pads (twice)
  • Replace n/s/f caliper
  • Replace n/s/f hub and carrier

none of which solved the problem. All the suspension bushes seemed pretty tight and I also eliminated tyres and wheels as the source by swapping over my winter wheels/tyres in various combinations.

So, running out of ideas, I turned to the rear. The vibration seemed to be coming up through the body shell and could be felt slightly through the seat, which can be symptoms of rear issues.

I then replaced the rear discs and pads...and problem solved! As you can see from the following pictures, the outer face of the discs looked AOK

Name:  P1050972 S.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  122.1 KB
Name:  P1050973 S.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  109.9 KB
Name:  P1050974 S.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  120.8 KB

But examining the rear faces revealed significant corrosion

Name:  P1050976 S.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  108.4 KB
Name:  P1050977 S.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  138.4 KB
Name:  P1050978 S.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  115.7 KB

It was the same with the pads, the outer pads were pretty good

Name:  P1050981 S.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  133.2 KB

But the inner pads were being chewed up by rubbing on the corrosion which was obviously causing the grinding noise

Name:  P1050983 S.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  104.0 KB
Name:  P1050986 S.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  109.2 KB
Name:  P1050987 S.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  92.8 KB

So the moral of this story is, if you're changing pads, change your discs too. Don't do what I did and try to get two sets of pads from one set of discs. Or at the very least, when you change pads, remove the discs and treat the corrosion, which will undoubtedly be present on the inner face.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help with this issue especially Old Grey Steve (as always).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #54
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pleased to say that at last I've sorted my issue!

So the moral of this story is, if you're changing pads, change your discs too. Don't do what I did and try to get two sets of pads from one set of discs.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help with this issue especially Old Grey Steve (as always).
No worries

Good that you've found the issue, if the vibration was from the rear it would of as you've discovered of been travelling through the chassis and would I'd of said felt slightly different from the kind of vibration that Seb expierienced, but a vibration is a vibration plus it's damn difficult to put in to words what you are feeling. But the easiest way of getting assistance re these sort of things is to employ a but if tech..... I.e. MOT rollers as you'd of been looking for imbalance. We done this with Seb's saw a tiny bit of fluctuation took it out on the road put some heat into them then back on the rollers and saw a much greater variance in the results so we knew we were right but this confirmed it.

But looking at those photos(out and about on the iPhone at present) I can see the inners which as you say are corroded, which is nice and easy to determine, likewise like Sebs I can see the cut in the pads, but the outer face I can think I can see a lip and the discs are a wee bit scored as well.

But main thing is you've found the problem. Re discs and pad rotation usually find that replacing both, though more costly produces limited drama, replacing pad only is determined by visual inspection, we measure discs for thickness as well as possible high spots/runout usually find 60%+ won't support a pad only change.

Last edited by old grey steve; 07-25-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #55
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Really pleased you solved it Phil! What a relief it must be.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #56
Alex e92
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92 DCT

Have you had the chance to bed your new pads/discs in Ess? I'm just interested as I have already done rear pads/discs and front pads on mine but I just had the front discs skimmed so if your is a cure then I am tempted to replace my front discs with oem BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #57
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex e92 View Post
Have you had the chance to bed your new pads/discs in Ess? I'm just interested as I have already done rear pads/discs and front pads on mine but I just had the front discs skimmed so if your is a cure then I am tempted to replace my front discs with oem BMW.
Hi Alex,

Yes, I've been leaning on them quite hard at higher speeds and so far I've been absolutely unable to replicate the issue. I think it's fixed!

Good luck with yours, fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #58
Alex e92
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92 DCT

Quote:
Hi Alex,

Yes, I've been leaning on them quite hard at higher speeds and so far I've been absolutely unable to replicate the issue. I think it's fixed!

Good luck with yours, fingers crossed!
Sounds good! Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #59
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Alex,

02-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #60
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Just wanted to add to this as I've found I had all the same issue's but mine would come and go and always on the way to and from work at exactly the same time and place.
So hopefully this might help you so you don't spend a fortune replacing pads, discs and all kinds of other stuff like I did 🙄
My issue was the sliding pins had gotten hot at some point and melted a bit of the rubber sleeve on to them and as such stopped the caliper moving as freely as it should and thus caused the brake judder and vibration as the caliper was not flat.
So solution was emery paper the pins and grease them and I got new rubber sleeves.
Hope this helps guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #61
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
wonder if the build up in the rear brake rotors could make the car seem like its out of balance at higher speeds, as well as cause shuddering while normal braking? im experiencing some mystery issues.

thought it was tires,then rims,then wheel bearings, then control arms, but still getting issues, gonna try and get the rear brakes changes out after seeing that nasty ass rotor
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #62
bayerischer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

if not brake discs, or bent wheels, then sure the control arms
Appreciate 0