E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e92 M3...has anyone increased their bhp yet?

12-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #45
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Ive read this thread with some interest as im considering an E92 M3 myself. Seems a little ironic that your car has now finally managed exactly the same figure as biscuits (426bhp) dont you think?? Im a huge fan of Sal & Imran and IF i jump into an M3 next then i will certainly be paying them a visit as i trust them and thats the most important thing for me. But it just seems strange that your first figures were really poor via Kevin then suddenly you get a dyno dynamics figure exactly the same as biscuits??? Sorry to be the pessimist but that would bug me.
One other thing that i dont understand - mainly because im a bit of a gimp - is i assumed that because the new M3 is a V8 that it would be a similar engine to the later RS4 and because i know companies like MTM can get crazy performance figures from RS4's i again assumed that the same could be done with the new M3 - why is this not the case???
      12-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #46
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Ive read this thread with some interest as im considering an E92 M3 myself. Seems a little ironic that your car has now finally managed exactly the same figure as biscuits (426bhp) dont you think?? Im a huge fan of Sal & Imran and IF i jump into an M3 next then i will certainly be paying them a visit as i trust them and thats the most important thing for me. But it just seems strange that your first figures were really poor via Kevin then suddenly you get a dyno dynamics figure exactly the same as biscuits??? Sorry to be the pessimist but that would bug me.
One other thing that i dont understand - mainly because im a bit of a gimp - is i assumed that because the new M3 is a V8 that it would be a similar engine to the later RS4 and because i know companies like MTM can get crazy performance figures from RS4's i again assumed that the same could be done with the new M3 - why is this not the case???
I have to admit... I did think the same pesamistic thoughts... 426 exactly... hmmm. I'm not bothered if it came out higher or lower, but it does seem a little too coincidental.

Did they give you a print out of your graph PB? Anychance you could scan it and we can then have a look at both graphs.

The reason MTM can get crazy figures from RS4's Steve is that they are talking about the old B5 Bi-Turbo 2.7 V6 S4 & RS4's. MTM can only get crazy figures from the V8 S4 & RS4 if they supercharge it (which they have done!)

B.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #47
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Can someone explain what the concern is and I will help explain if I can?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #48
Terza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Anyone of you guys looked into the new Akrapovic offer for M3's?

If any of you drive motorcycles, you should of heard about them... They do systems for motorcycles, but they're also involved in racing bikes (MotoGP).

They promise an impresive +24 HP, +35 Nm, -23 Kg with their system! And thats for a fully stock M3... Could 460hp be possible with a custom remap on top of that exhaust?

Take a look here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191550
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #49
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Can someone explain what the concern is and I will help explain if I can?
Hi Imran,

We were all being moody Monday morning groucho's... just surprised palmboys car came out excatly the same figure as mine that's all.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #50
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Paul

It won't be exactly the same. There will be a . difference somewhere I am sure

Your car was a strong standard one - his is a remapped one that may have had less than yours as standard. No reason why they can't produce the same power.

Also I don't know who dynoed it before and I would like to know what they did to get the low figures they did. Maybe they don't know how to put the cars into Dyno mode and the rev limiter kicked in early.

Its Monday afternoon now so the Monday blues should be fading away...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #51
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terza View Post
Anyone of you guys looked into the new Akrapovic offer for M3's?

If any of you drive motorcycles, you should of heard about them... They do systems for motorcycles, but they're also involved in racing bikes (MotoGP).

They promise an impresive +24 HP, +35 Nm, -23 Kg with their system! And thats for a fully stock M3... Could 460hp be possible with a custom remap on top of that exhaust?

Take a look here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191550
I think 460 BHP is possible with the right exhaust system.

Supersprint claims good figures for their race system with racing cats.

Supersprint E92 M3 Exhaust

In our experience their own dyno figures have matched ours when we have tested their products.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #52
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

After Abingdon last week; I can really do with more lower end torque, especially around 3rd gear. I have changed to AFE oiled filter, and a set of Remus Sports exhaust and thinking of a remap (talking to Evolve) - maybe a turbo will help
      12-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #53
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Well I didn't think this post would cause so much sceptisism!

I did get a print out on both occasions and I'll upload these tomorrow for all to see - the RR Kevin used and Evolve's are quite different.

I'm not looking for big BHP gains from the remap - it just isn't going to happen on a NA car. However, I was just concerned that the first RR was so low and I couldn't believe that an M3 could make so little power. This is the most powerful car I have owned, the previous being a standard 335i so although it is clearly a lot faster than the 335i when the nuts are driven off it, I didn't really have much to compare what a 420ish bhp car should feel like. Therefore, after seeing the first RR result (after a remap!) I was a little shocked that it seemed so low hence my further investigations!

Anyway, give me until tomorrow and I'll bang the graphs on.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #54
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mid range torque is a big change for me since owning the E60 M5; and this feels very feeble. Anything that can be done Imran?
      12-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #55
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
V10 conversion LOL.

Either that or supercharge it.
      12-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #56
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=600

ESS so it seems has developed a bolt on kit. 601rwhp dyno peaks at 9PSI@8400RPM.
      12-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #57
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
so approx 670-680bhp at the flywheel.

Can stock internals take this power.

Also can the gearbox and clutch?
      12-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #58
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
so approx 670-680bhp at the flywheel.

Can stock internals take this power.

Also can the gearbox and clutch?
I guess its too new to say (stock E46 internals are good for 8PSI on pump fuel). ESS test everything for 50K miles before releasing but Asbjorn does say in the thread, it`s being turned back to around 500-530 at the wheels for re-sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #59
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, I've now attached the RR graphs.

The first graph is the one Kevin arranged - two maps showing power at the wheels both before and after the remap and as you can see, it looks like the remap did very little.

The second one is the RR result from Evolve which shows power and torque at the flywheel.

Finally, the third one is the RWBHP figure that Evolve got for direct comparison with the first one...there is a 20+bhp difference between the two!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #60
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well....it's finally done!

I dropped the car off at Birds last Saturday, went and spent the new year in New York and have just got back (literally landed this morning) and picked it up!

So what did Kevin do this time?

He's put a different map on the car and fitted the Hartge exhaust and cat. And what a difference.

Where before I couldn't 'feel' the difference between the car as standard and the car with the 1st map that Kevin tried, I'm ecstatic to report that the combination of a new map and the exhaust / cat has transformed the feel of the car.

In a standard M3 there is a slight lack of torque below 4k, however any such hint has totally disappeared and it now has amazing pull from 2k upwards. As I tend not to rev the nuts off it on a daily basis, the difference now makes it a much quicker car on the road.

As soon as I have chance to get it on the rollers I'll report what the actual difference is but needless to say, if it performed well when I couldn't tell the difference then it's sure to put in some good gains now, especially in the mid range.

After I've had some sleep I'll post some photo's as the exhaust also looks stunning - an excellent fit and just the right size & shape.

I've also had some new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups fitted as I got a puncture on Boxing day; the rear tyres were barely legal so I thought a new set of Cups all round would be good for my imminent track days!

Anyone fancy a pair of half worn front tyres - 245/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? £100 for the two and they've easily got over 4mm of tread left.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #61
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking good, and love to hear the Hartge exhaust sounds. Paul met up with me today, and I have uploaded some sound vids for comparison.
      01-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #62
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Looking good Palmball... would love to hear it, I'm gagging to change the system on mine.
Appreciate 0