E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Injector and Boost deviation issues....

05-22-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

Injector and Boost deviation issues....

09 335d US spec
Replaced injectors 2&4 due to a sluggish idle and take off from a stop, replaced them and reset adaptions but they keep give me the mean quantity code again and again after about 100 miles or so, any way to fix this? Are the injectors at fault? The injectors were purchased from autohauz soooo yeah.
Injector code I'm getting for injector 4 which is the same as 2 is:4593
Also keep getting a 429A when getting on the interstate as my on ramp is a bit of a hassle to get on, however the vacuum lines and boost controllers for the vacuum are new, as well as the big wastegate, bmw will not sell the smaller actuators, haven't contacted a local turbo shop to see if they can get me some or borg Warner yet, I do have a feeling this code keeps appearing is because of the adaption reset but I could be wrong....
Any reply helps thank you! Stay safe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Have you done any data logging? Is this car stock? What is the status of the CBU or cleaning if it’s been done?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Have you done any data logging? Is this car stock? What is the status of the CBU or cleaning if it's been done?
Had the turbos rebuilt then those blew so had to get them warrantied. The wastegates worry me and prior to them blowing the first time it would throw wastegate codes like crazy for the lower and high pressure turbo. It is soon to get a cbu cleaning, as when I replaced the vcg it was pretty knarly in the intakes which I cleaned with a vacuum and soaked the intake in simple green drum over a week to clean the carbon or loosen it and power washed the inside which cleaned it very well, the valves however will need to be wallnut or bg cleaned soon which I will doing. The dme May need a update from ista or however that process works, car is delete completely from emissions equipment, stage 2 dudmd tune. I am running 5w-30 liqui moly oil with a lucas pure synthetic additive for that light of oil( normally use regular lucas with 15-40 oil). Car has around 138.000 miles on it. Gutted exhaust with muffler deletes, prior owner was a exotic dancer who didn't maintain the car very well but hey got it cheap. Didn't need much work but knew as soon as I deleted the car the turbos where heading out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Hmm, I can’t fully follow the story well. I apologize. It would be great if you could outline the repairs and trouble codes in a sequential fashion. Sounds like you had a lot of work done to the car and are trying to sort it out. I did not understand why the original turbos had failed and why the replacement had failed. Why did you decide to replace Injectors 2 and 4. How bad is the CBU. Have you had a chance to clean your boost sensor. How old is the MAF. What adaptations had been reset. Has the injectors been properly coded to the car. And my previous question about data logging. Have you done any?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I can't fully follow the story well. I apologize. It would be great if you could outline the repairs and trouble codes in a sequential fashion. Sounds like you had a lot of work done to the car and are trying to sort it out. I did not understand why the original turbos had failed and why the replacement had failed. Why did you decide to replace Injectors 2 and 4. How bad is the CBU. Have you had a chance to clean your boost sensor. How old is the MAF. What adaptations had been reset. Has the injectors been properly coded to the car. And my previous question about data logging. Have you done any?

Timeline:
November 2019: car was purchased
January 2020:
Car was deleted
VCG was replaced a few weeks after due to smoke at idle as well as 2&4 injectors due to rough idle and sluggish takeoff from standstill
February 2020: Oem turbos seals blowout causing massive oil loss which were sent off to be rebuilt
March 2020: rebuilt low pressure turbo exhaust fan blade cans apart and welded itself to the exhaust housing. Probable cause was bearings installed wrong which caused the shaft to get hot and starve it of oil. (Does have oil going to both turbos and new oil lines)
May 2020: car has warranty set of turbos from rebuilder and is running great, however I am starting to get codes for the low pressure turbo about boost deviation in 3 or 4th gear at around 3,000 rpms. All data states that it could be the controller for the actuator or the actuator itself or possibly a leak which would be weird as the vacuum lines are new.
I am as well getting injector adaptation codes from injector 4 and sometimes injector 2. As stated in the prior rushed type up, the car does need carbon cleaning either wallnut or a bg blast, I have cleaned the intake housing with simple green and a power washer with a water heater which cleaned it spotless.
The valves otherwise need a blasting.

Mods:
Dudmd stage 2
Full delete
Atm boost hoses
Apex anthracite 17's 9.5's

Maintenance:
Done every 7,000 miles
Liqui moly 5w-30
New fuel filter at this mileage
Air filter changed as well
Oil filter changed as well

Data logging as in? Please elaborate, I do collect some data but we could be talking about different things.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:16 AM   #6
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Data logging: have you ran a comparison of your boost values to requested and against exhaust pressure. Have you ran data that looks at your rail pressure against requested. Have you looked at the behaviour of the voltage values for your boost sensor. Previously asked: has boost sensor been replaced or cleaned? How old in your MAF sensor?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Data logging: have you ran a comparison of your boost values to requested and against exhaust pressure. Have you ran data that looks at your rail pressure against requested. Have you looked at the behaviour of the voltage values for your boost sensor. Previously asked: has boost sensor been replaced or cleaned? How old in your MAF sensor?

I have been data logging the requested boost vs actual, I adjusted the lower pressure wastegate and it not longer lugs itself around 60-75 mph, it will build boost. However, I'm waiting for my number 4 injector to throw the adaptation code again. So now all there is to fix is the injector code 😯
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Sound of it after wastegate adjustment.

Stuck a go pro on the rear bumper of the car facing the passenger exhaust exit, I'm thinking of a 4 inch exhaust as that's probably as big as I can get, I tried a 5 inch and that would require some drilling on the bumper.
Appreciate 0