E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sockets 335i build

01-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #881
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
How much cheaper can you find the bushings?

I've had my nolthane bushings in for several months now, very happy with the bang per buck, I bought mine from oziespares which was a little cheaper but had to pay shipping. So was only $5 or so dollars cheaper and the link for the site is always down. So I always just point people to the ebay link.

Its a great mod if you can get them installed for a reasonable price, paying a workshop will probably cost you over twice the cost of the bushings though, more if they don't know all the tricks of removing them.

Its definitely possible to DIY these if you make the correct tools and have spares handy. The first time I did these I used hand tools to wind the bushings out, thats pretty damn hard work and now I just use a huge impact gun which makes life a lot easier. But sometimes the bushings take more force to remove and the tool can be damaged with the impact gun. So its worth having spare nuts and threaded rod so you're not stranded and have to walk to bunnings.
DIY post ???? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #882
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
DIY post ???? Lol
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158856

Not rrally a DIY, this is my review thread which has a few more pics of this install process.
      01-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #883
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Beautiful day in Melbourne today
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #884
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

with my stiff AF setup - the bushings are a must to be upgraded? kms are high AF too
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #885
Flex68
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post

That's pure eye candy ..... Some m3 mirrors would be tops
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #886
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
with my stiff AF setup - the bushings are a must to be upgraded? kms are high AF too
Must have mod in my opinion, the stock bushings allow the subframe to twist under acceleration and cornering. Ruins the handling and makes the car unpredictable in my opinion. Can bend the bushings with your fingers lol.

Great bang per buck if you can DIY or know someone who can install, a workshop will charge you an arm and a leg for this kind of thing.
      01-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #887
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Must have mod in my opinion, the stock bushings allow the subframe to twist under acceleration and cornering. Ruins the handling and makes the car unpredictable in my opinion. Can bend the bushings with your fingers lol.

Great bang per buck if you can DIY or know someone who can install, a workshop will charge you an arm and a leg for this kind of thing.
u recommend i upgrade? I know this guys down Fern tree way. Got amazing hair.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #888
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
u recommend i upgrade? I know this guys down Fern tree way. Got amazing hair.
Hahah sounds like a top bloke, just get the parts and book it in then
      02-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #889
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
vtl would this kit off eBay take off the bushes on an E90 rear subframe?

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/141768664056

Also do you know if rear brake lines have enough slack to lower the subframe for this job? Or do I need to disconnect them and bleed the system later?
      02-01-2016, 01:16 AM   #890
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post

Also do you know if rear brake lines have enough slack to lower the subframe for this job? Or do I need to disconnect them and bleed the system later?
No that tool set won't work, theyre way too small. If youre in Melb I can just sort out the bushings for you.

On a 1 series the brakes do not need to be disconnected, on a 3 series, they must be disconnected. Only a tiny bit of brake fluid needs to be bled so you only need to top up like 40mls or so.

Last edited by vtl; 02-01-2016 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:35 AM   #891
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:

No that tool set won't work you need, theyre way too small. If youre in Melb I can just sort out the bushings for you.

On a 1 series the brakes do not need to be disconnected, on a 3 series, they must be disconnected. Only a tiny bit of brake fluid needs to be bled so you only need to top up like 40mls or so.
Yeah I am in Melbourne, thank you so much Vince, that would be awesome. I am ordering the bushes off eBay now and I'll pm you when they arrive.

Also, I replaced the front struts, rear shocks and all 4 springs on the weekend. I did it all by myself and it took me from Friday 5pm to Sunday 4am lol and I almost died at one instance...

More importantly; when I drive on ramps where only one of the front wheels is on the ramp to enter petrol stations, car washes... etc. I hear the chassis of the car creaking, is that just the chassis twisting due to stiffness of the new suspension?Would upgrading the from strut bar and installing an additional strut bar in the boot help stiffen the chassis and stop the twisting? Or may be front and rear sway bars can stiffen things up?

I installed Bilstein B8 shocks/struts and Eibach Sportline springs all around. So far the car handles absolutely amazing with Porsche 911-like steering feedback through corners.. But the ride is too stiff, hopefully when I get rid of the run crap tyres it'll soften up
      02-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #892
Flex68
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Coming down to Adelaide anytime soon? Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #893
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
OK started the two tone interior upgrade today.. started small with replacing the beige seat belts with a set of black seat belts...Ill put together a DIY for each stage and post a link.... when its all done Ill create a new thread covering the entire upgrade... meanwhile step 1 -- new rear seat belts

Rear seat belt - DIY link
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post19312781

Pic 1 - Before
Pic 2 - After
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 02-02-2016 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #894
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am in Melbourne, thank you so much Vince, that would be awesome. I am ordering the bushes off eBay now and I'll pm you when they arrive.

Also, I replaced the front struts, rear shocks and all 4 springs on the weekend. I did it all by myself and it took me from Friday 5pm to Sunday 4am lol and I almost died at one instance...

More importantly; when I drive on ramps where only one of the front wheels is on the ramp to enter petrol stations, car washes... etc. I hear the chassis of the car creaking, is that just the chassis twisting due to stiffness of the new suspension?Would upgrading the from strut bar and installing an additional strut bar in the boot help stiffen the chassis and stop the twisting? Or may be front and rear sway bars can stiffen things up?

I installed Bilstein B8 shocks/struts and Eibach Sportline springs all around. So far the car handles absolutely amazing with Porsche 911-like steering feedback through corners.. But the ride is too stiff, hopefully when I get rid of the run crap tyres it'll soften up
Yeah stiff suspension might cause the creaking. Adding the parts (especially the strut bracing) you mention can definitely reduce the creaking but you'll never know for sure until you put the parts on.

I would get rid of the runflats before putting the bushings in. General ride quality isn't affected too much but sharp/fast bumps are certainly more noticeable on the stock dampers. The stock suspension seems to rely on the soft bushings to absorb the fast bumps transmitted by the runflats. It doesn't help that the stock dampers don't really seem to react fast enough. Some people might find it a bit much on rough roads. Your upgraded dampers are better/react faster and may make it a non issue though.
      02-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #895
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
U gotta stop double parking socks. No spots for others who wanna do a photo shot at the same location. Tsk tsk tsk
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #896
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah stiff suspension might cause the creaking. Adding the parts (especially the strut bracing) you mention can definitely reduce the creaking but you'll never know for sure until you put the parts on.

I would get rid of the runflats before putting the bushings in. General ride quality isn't affected too much but sharp/fast bumps are certainly more noticeable on the stock dampers. The stock suspension seems to rely on the soft bushings to absorb the fast bumps transmitted by the runflats. It doesn't help that the stock dampers don't really seem to react fast enough. Some people might find it a bit much on rough roads. Your upgraded dampers are better/react faster and may make it a non issue though.
Thanks vtl, your explanation makes sense!

I tried to buy the bushings from eBay but its out of stock, seems like everyone on here jumped on them as soon as Socket got his haha

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nolathane...-/181608676703

Ozie Spares still had them in stock, so I bought them from there, $3 more expensive than the eBay listing
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #897
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
OK started the two tone interior upgrade today.. started small with replacing the beige seat belts with a set of black seat belts...Ill put together a DIY for each stage and post a link.... when its all done Ill create a new thread covering the entire upgrade... meanwhile step 1 -- new rear seat belts

Rear seat belt - DIY link
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post19312781

Pic 1 - Before
Pic 2 - After
Interior is coming along nicely Socket, my car has two tone (black/cream) from factory. It was one of these BMW Individual options, I'll post a photo when I get a chance. It's cream seats, black floor carpet, black dash, black centre console, black seat belts, and a two tone black/cream door trim.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #898
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Which m3 front bumper and lip combo are you running? How was fit and finish? Which vender did you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #899
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl

Is there really that much of a improvement in ride comfort with aftermarket dampers vtl ?

what dampers do you run? thinking of going with a set of koni yellows
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #900
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
Is there really that much of a improvement in ride comfort with aftermarket dampers vtl ?

what dampers do you run? thinking of going with a set of koni yellows
I am still on stock M sport dampers but in my opinion they are pretty crap to other cars I've been in. Will be looking for aftermarket dampers in the future. Having ridden in a 1M, it has much stiffer suspension yet glides over sharp/fast bumps on the road just fine instead of crashing over them like the M sport suspension.
      02-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #901
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

ahk vtl I've been reading and a few people have had success with firmer upper rear shock mounts. apparently they improve ride comfort a fair bit.

In almost all causes they've been paired with aftermarket dampers though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #902
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Awesome Socks! And great DIY contribution post also!!!

I really want to redo my seatbelts to red!
Appreciate 0