E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering lock problem (E90)

08-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
The ratchet sound is what I got on mine, sometimes with the amber light and sometimes not. The E91 has been sold on now so it is BMW's problem - lets just hope the E93 doesn't develop the same fault.
i am sure it is only a matter of time before the warning lights come on as well
ive got a service due in a couple of weeks so i will tell them then to have another look.....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
i am sure it is only a matter of time before the warning lights come on as well
ive got a service due in a couple of weeks so i will tell them then to have another look.....
If you have the service coming up then it's not too critical unless between now and then the padlock symbol appears. By all means tell them about the ratcheting sound because that is both a precursor to, and a symptom of, the lock failure.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #25
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

My 56 Plate 335D is going in first week in September for the same wheel lock issue.

The dealer asked if the issue was happening with wheels straight and I said it happens on both straight and turned and is happening 50% of the time now.

He said it needs to go in for two days with both component changes and a software upgrade.

I'll report on what the outcome is... I'm hoping for the new iDrive software and for it all to be done under warranty... or at least the 'Carlos Clause' where I mention safety etc....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #26
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
He said it needs to go in for two days with both component changes and a software upgrade.
Wow, they're slow.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #27
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Wow, they're slow.
I think it's the 96k link to Munich that's slow...

I've always been led to believe that the software upgrade is a right royal slow pain in the arse...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #28
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

I had this on my car, got progressively worse, reported it to the dealer who had to order parts which took 3 weeks to come.
Very inconvenient, not a steering column issue, it's the electronic lock that is the problem. Trouble is replacing this also required replacing the key fob dash insert. I got to see my car half way through the job, the wood trim and vents on the face of the dash were out, wiring out all the way back to the boot. Took them about 5 days to do it all waiting for another part half way through the job.
All is well now.

If you getting this issue as more than a one off get it checked out ASAP. 2 to 3 times a week is where mine started, 3 weeks later it would take up to 5 minutes to get the car to start as it kept insisting the steering lock was still engaged, the problem being it never engaged in the first place.

Good job still under warranty, hate to think what it would cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #29
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
I had this on my car, got progressively worse, reported it to the dealer who had to order parts which took 3 weeks to come.
Very inconvenient, not a steering column issue, it's the electronic lock that is the problem. Trouble is replacing this also required replacing the key fob dash insert. I got to see my car half way through the job, the wood trim and vents on the face of the dash were out, wiring out all the way back to the boot. Took them about 5 days to do it all waiting for another part half way through the job.
All is well now.

If you getting this issue as more than a one off get it checked out ASAP. 2 to 3 times a week is where mine started, 3 weeks later it would take up to 5 minutes to get the car to start as it kept insisting the steering lock was still engaged, the problem being it never engaged in the first place.

Good job still under warranty, hate to think what it would cost.
That's what worries me..my warranty is up mid October
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
That's what worries me..my warranty is up mid October
So long as you report it before the warranty is up (I'd suggest right now ), even if they say no action for now, you can argue that the problem existed before warranty expiry and get it covered.
There is a TIS on this issue where apparently cars manufactured from Novermber 2005 have an improved design. The issue also affects 1 and 5 series cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #31
mikenuts
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Does anyone know the TSB # for this?
      09-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #32
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Got it back today after a software upgrade only. Fixed under warranty on my 56 plate..

The release mechanism sounds much, much quiter now. So hopefully the intermittent fault has gone.

Got the new light brown software look too.

Not had chance to see if the car drives any different, but will report back once I've popped to work tomorrow.

Just need to see what the new software delivers over the old...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #33
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
Got it back today after a software upgrade only. Fixed under warranty on my 56 plate..

The release mechanism sounds much, much quiter now. So hopefully the intermittent fault has gone.

Got the new light brown software look too.

Not had chance to see if the car drives any different, but will report back once I've popped to work tomorrow.

Just need to see what the new software delivers over the old...
CAn you provide us a picture of the new light brown? My software upgrade a year ago took it from brown to a silvery colour (sic). Now it is back to a brown?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #34
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenuts View Post
Does anyone know the TSB # for this?
I actually read the TSB for it online somewhere, just had a search cannot find it now.
I remember it also affects 5 series and some others and that it was allegedly fixed on cars built from November 2005 onwards, which is may be why some are getting away with a software update as a fix on later cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #35
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
CAn you provide us a picture of the new light brown? My software upgrade a year ago took it from brown to a silvery colour (sic). Now it is back to a brown?
Hi mate...

I was going to take a picture, but found the pic below..

Mine has gone from the top colour to the bottom colour with the totally different design on the iDrive knob. I don't think it has the same 'warm' feeling... seems to have a harder edge to the look and feel.

I'm also getting some different options under Nav where I can now do a search for POI. The Nav map colours are also brighter and clearer.
It also starts where it was left on switch off. No more having to navigate from the Home screen again... Minor I know, but a useful touch.
It's also noticeably quicker around the various sections.

Not sure what other upgrades there are...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #36
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. That bottom picture is what I have. People had described this as the silvery colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right, sorry but i need to have a rant

Took it in last Tuesday for the 60k service and also to check again the steering lock issue. Last time all they did was reset the OBC, I knew they had done this as the Info data in the I-Drive had all changed.
Since this was done I have not seen the padlock warning symbol appear, but the ratchet like noise when you put the key in and the wheel unlocks itself, has happened a few times. Reading what other people have reported on this problem on here and another Beemer site here in Spain, either the software is updated and/or the steering column changed.

This time, in my best Spanish (and English) I explained that this was a known fault to BMW and was usually resolved by the above, I don’t think the guy I told this to listened though.....
I spent 10 minutes explaining and showing the problem to him, even giving the ratchet like noise sound effect (which sounded nothing like it by the way ).

So, 3 days go by and still nothing from them. Great I thought, they must be updating the software or waiting for parts. Friday afternoon I still had not heard from them so gave them a call, they said it was in the wash bay and I could collect in a couple of hours. They gave me the price for the service and said the ‘problem’ was fixed and that a ‘technician’ would explain the problem. So we go there and pay the service bill (275 euros) and ask for a technician to tell me what had been done regarding the steering lock.
After 20 minute wait , the guy who I explained everything to 3 days earlier shows up and cant remember what the problem was so I explain again and he still cant f****** understand what the problem is !
He says, "So you put the key in and you cant turn the wheel ? !!!!” He must have remembered after I did the sound effect again, then he says, “Yes, they changed the software and they tested for 3 days without problem”. He said if it happens again they will check again even if out of guarantee.
So first thing I check is the I-Drive screen, same colour background so knew straight away they had done FA, plus all the info was as it was before.
By this time I really wasn’t in the mood to have a go at him, he then said his contract wasn’t being renewed and he had only 2 days left so felt a bit sorry for him actually. I thought I would just leave it for the moment until it starts happening more frequently, at least then I can show them what I am talking about. It done it again today but as it unlocks the wheel I can live with it, but am worried more for the long term.

If this is a known BMW fault, does anyone have a copy of an official BMW Technical Bulletin or similar that I can show them ? (It doesn’t have to be in Spanish )

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #38
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Andy, here are a couple of TSBs (technical service bulletins) for your dealer to scratch his head over:

1- ELV Warning in Instrument Cluster, &
2- Steering Column Clicking Noise (for cars built until 11/05 only)

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #39
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Andy, here are a couple of TSBs (technical service bulletins) for your dealer to scratch his head over:

1- ELV Warning in Instrument Cluster, &
2- Steering Column Clicking Noise (for cars built until 11/05 only)

All the best.

Viv
thanks Viv, can always rely on you

cheers

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #40
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Has anyone is the US experienced this? Happened for the 3rd time today. I have the M3 Wheel. Do you think BMW Dealer would have any issue about repairing column with Modified wheel?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #41
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

I dont know if my issue is related to this exactly because I dont have any lights on the dash, but starting yesterday, if I make a sharp turn into a parking place, or turning around... when ONLY turning right, and then straightening the wheel out, I get a popping sound that happens several times. Its very audible (and annoying) and I can actually feel it a little as well.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #42
tambo916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie's BMW View Post
Has anyone is the US experienced this? Happened for the 3rd time today. I have the M3 Wheel. Do you think BMW Dealer would have any issue about repairing column with Modified wheel?
Yes, this is happening to me. I had the software upgraded, but clicking noise and steering wheel lock warning light still an issue. Called the dealership to get some information on what needs to be done to fix, but no response yet.

Not sure if the modified wheel would prevent them from fixing under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #43
Ciao
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335 d Sapph Black fully loaded

Garage List
207 335 d  [0.00]
Steering lock. Problem

Hi guys got a problem with my car. Display in IDRIVE says steering lock failure. Leave engine on. Red steering wheel with pad lock in display.
Vehicle does not start!!!
Help
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
oh shit.

;Leave it 10mins then try and start. When mine had that issue it started ok.