E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > ZF automatic gearbox oil change

03-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #45
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
OH Really? so ZF LG 6 is only partially synthetic? How can they advocate for a oil to be used for 100k kms seeing as its only partially synthetic?
Is fully synthetic better?
If so, just wonder why pays extra for ZF which is partially synthetic?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #46
TIRA
tirabytes.com
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungsai View Post
That is a heap cheaper than I've been quoted!

Can I steal workshop details of where you got this done?

Thanks mate!
PM'ed
      03-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #47
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Is fully synthetic better?
If so, just wonder why pays extra for ZF which is partially synthetic?
Fully synthetic is far superior to partially synthetic in terms of lubrication, protection against friction, heat dispersion, oil's life (list goes on and on)

Just a question of whether ZF LG6 is ACTUALLY partially synthetic. If it is, personally would stay away from that and go with Motul Multi ATF seeing as so many companies recommend it as well (FCPeuro, ECStuning, M@Dbargains, Topgearsolutions, our local Clickable)

PS: Please forgive me for mentioning one of the companies who are apparently banned on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #48
CYL
Major
Rep

Just thought of something, while changing the ATF will not drain ALL ATF from the car, some fluid will still be inside the torque converter if I am correct.
So, I think it's not a good idea to mix 2 different ATF?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:23 AM   #49
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

As i read its suggested you dont remove all the fluid, whatever comes out put back in, mine took like 7L, but if you run nulon, whats 50 bucks to run it through and drain it all again just to be sure haha.
MHD Stage 2+ e60 OTS|VRSF V2 Catless DPs|VRSF 7 Inch FMIC|VRSF Charger Pipes|Turbosmart Supersonic BOV|K&N DCI's|VRSF OEM Silicone Inlets|BMS OCC|FUEL IT STAGE 2|07+ TCU Conversion|XHP Flashtool Stage 3 Race Map|1m Front Bumper|CSL Wing|Aero Rear Bumper|DTM U Shaped LED Angel Eyes with RGB Demon Eyes|M3 Cowl
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #50
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
OH Really? so ZF LG 6 is only partially synthetic? How can they advocate for a oil to be used for 100k kms seeing as its only partially synthetic?
Yes really.

The wording "Partially Synthetic" under the standards allows upto 75% mineral oil. No where on any legitimate ZF LG 6 product, specification sheet, MSDS or website does it say "Fully Synthetic". To say otherwise is mendacious.

If you read the attached ZF document on page 6 and read the highlighted component it explains not only is ZF LG 6 a partially synthetic oil it also explains in detail the service requirements.

If you then read the next page 7 it provides the approved products for TE-ML-11. The document dated 01/01/2017 does not list Motul Multi ATF but rather another Motul mineral based product.

As previously stated "Motul Multi ATF is NOT the same specification as ZF LG 6."

Really.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TE-ML-11.pdf (101.4 KB, 167 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:22 AM   #51
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I disagree, driven heaps of zf 6ats at various kms and a service is definitely worth it if you're at 100k.

You won't notice it unless you drive other cars but whenever I drive a high km one they drive like crap compared to recently serviced ones or low kms ones. The shifts slush more (could be worn out seals which reduces the hydraulic pressure) the transition between coast and drive can be clunky, downshifts not accurate (tries to rev match but doesnt give enough revs and has to slush the shift ). Imo these transmissions dont feel great after 100k and makes me very glad I drive a manual.

tawfeeqh car was upgraded by nizpro but was also rebuilt and freshened up and I can say it is by far the best zf 6at i've ever driven. Drive heaps better than any stock, tuned or recently serviced 6hp21 ive ever driven. Shifts were crisp and downshifts were actually accurate, instead of slushing the mismatched revs.
Thanks for your feedback bro. I'll give it a go then. Would be nice for you to drive my cars and see what you think.. I haven't noticed any of those signs but perhaps it can perform even better than what I am used to..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #52
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM335 View Post
As i read its suggested you dont remove all the fluid, whatever comes out put back in, mine took like 7L, but if you run nulon, whats 50 bucks to run it through and drain it all again just to be sure haha.
I read that it's better not to drain the fluid inside the TCU or damage may occur?
So, if there has been one brand fluid inside the transmission already, should we refill with other brand fluid?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #53
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
I read that it's better not to drain the fluid inside the TCU or damage may occur?
So, if there has been one brand fluid inside the transmission already, should we refill with other brand fluid?

Each brand and type of oil is made up of different friction modifiers, viscosity modifiers, anti-foaming agents, wear reducing agents and pressure additives to name some.

As a general rule it is not suggested to mix mineral based oil with synthetics. With transmission fluids it is somewhat difficult because of the remaining fluid retained in the torque converter. So it is also not suggested to mix mineral based oils from different brands as no one can show what the chemical reaction will be.

Some people have used methods to remove most of the remaing fluid in the torque converter however there is an extremely high risk of damge occuring from the methods I have seen.

With the ZF transmission most of the fluid can be extracted via the drain plug. The amount varies according to losses but 5 to 7L is common. The ZF 6 speed transmission is a 9.5L fill + 0.5L for the cooler.

If you are replacing the oil with the ZF product then follow the fill procedure and forget.

If you are replacing the oil with an alternative product that meets the ZF & Shell standard then follow the fill procedure. At this point you may choose to 'flush' the sytem after some distance travelled to help 'dilute' the original oil. Realistically this is not what happens as it is cost prohibitive.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence with people using alternative oils with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #54
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
Each brand and type of oil is made up of different friction modifiers, viscosity modifiers, anti-foaming agents, wear reducing agents and pressure additives to name some.

As a general rule it is not suggested to mix mineral based oil with synthetics. With transmission fluids it is somewhat difficult because of the remaining fluid retained in the torque converter. So it is also not suggested to mix mineral based oils from different brands as no one can show what the chemical reaction will be.

Some people have used methods to remove most of the remaing fluid in the torque converter however there is an extremely high risk of damge occuring from the methods I have seen.

With the ZF transmission most of the fluid can be extracted via the drain plug. The amount varies according to losses but 5 to 7L is common. The ZF 6 speed transmission is a 9.5L fill + 0.5L for the cooler.

If you are replacing the oil with the ZF product then follow the fill procedure and forget.

If you are replacing the oil with an alternative product that meets the ZF & Shell standard then follow the fill procedure. At this point you may choose to 'flush' the sytem after some distance travelled to help 'dilute' the original oil. Realistically this is not what happens as it is cost prohibitive.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence with people using alternative oils with no problems.
The ATF inside the transmission is BMW one, isn't it?
So, by using ZF fluid, we are already mixing Aatf from 2 different brands?

What would be the best approach if one is to change the transmission fluid? Using BMW fluid? ZF? Or even Motul?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:29 AM   #55
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The BMW ATF is ZF re-branded. ZF have a commercial agreement with BMW and other car manufacturers including Audi, Bentley and Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #56
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRA View Post
I just did this last week, cost me $500 including labour here in Melbourne.

Did the whole transmission fluid kit replacement (pan + gasket + oil) + Sealing Sleeve!
Can you PM me where you had this done? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #57
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
The BMW ATF is ZF re-branded. ZF have a commercial agreement with BMW and other car manufacturers including Audi, Bentley and Jaguar.
This, BMW just rebrands as there own.
MHD Stage 2+ e60 OTS|VRSF V2 Catless DPs|VRSF 7 Inch FMIC|VRSF Charger Pipes|Turbosmart Supersonic BOV|K&N DCI's|VRSF OEM Silicone Inlets|BMS OCC|FUEL IT STAGE 2|07+ TCU Conversion|XHP Flashtool Stage 3 Race Map|1m Front Bumper|CSL Wing|Aero Rear Bumper|DTM U Shaped LED Angel Eyes with RGB Demon Eyes|M3 Cowl
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #58
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Hi all

Though not specific to my 335i, I would like to change the gearbox fluid on my X6.
Real OEM lists 83222152426 as the part number. Motul ATF VI tech data sheet lists the aforementioned part number as being compatible. I see many people on the forum using various different brands of fluids but I just extra confirmation that this can be mixed with the factory fill fluid (since some fluid will be stuck in the torque converter).

Thanks
Appreciate 0