E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > '15 N55 Retro-swap into an '11 335i AWD begins

08-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #45
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Any Update* ?
      08-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #46
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
Any Update* ?
Methanol Injection Issues:

Yes, upon opening the final box which should have contained the remaining parts to my methanol injection kit, I realized that it was missing the controller & associated hardware. I texted the owner/manufacturer of my methanol injection kit immediately upon this discovery at 1100 pm his time last night. To my dismay, he called me back this afternoon infuriated that I texted him at such a late hour & demanding the return of his incomplete kit in return for a full refund.

Sheez, just what I needed...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #47
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post

Yes, upon opening the final box which should have contained the remaining parts to my methanol injection kit, I realized that it was missing the controller & associated hardware. I texted the owner/manufacturer of my methanol injection kit immediately upon this discovery at 1100 pm his time last night. To my dismay, he called me back this afternoon infuriated that I texted him at such a late hour & demanding the return of his incomplete kit in return for a full refund.

That's Okay, Box it back up and send it to him. Guys like that dont need your good business. Especially if he wants to get angry at his or his companies mistake. I am a business man and whether its day or night. Money and good customer service is my priority.

Any other Meth Kits you were interested in from another brand perhaps?
      08-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #48
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

So is the new engine fully installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #49
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
In answer to your question: Not anymore!
Well, it was very close. Now, I have to remove the 3 gallon tank, the SS braided hose and manifold. I destroyed my intake during the removal & I just ordered assorted gaskets, etc. from my local bmw dealership in order to try and get this project back on track.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #50
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
Quote:

That's Okay, Box it back up and send it to him. Guys like that dont need your good business. Especially if he wants to get angry at his or his companies mistake. I am a business man and whether its day or night. Money and good customer service is my priority.

Any other Meth Kits you were interested in from another brand perhaps?
From my point of view and understanding of water/methanol injection, the ProMeth intake design is superior to anything else out there. Further, I already have the tank mounted, lines run, etc. My back is against a wall with respect to time. The going to get an AES controller and more or less wing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #51
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From my point of view and understanding of water/methanol injection, the ProMeth intake design is superior to anything else out there. Further, I already have the tank mounted, lines run, etc. My back is against a wall with respect to time. The going to get an AES controller and more or less wing it.
Sad to hear, But as always with BMWs there will be hurdles in the way. Just keep going brother!
      08-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #52
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=DiFFv1;2519368

Sad to hear, But as always with BMWs there will be hurdles in the way. Just keep going brother![/QUOTE]
Thanks Diff, this kinda setback was one I never saw coming nor did I plan for. I'm heading back into the garage to install the turbofold. Appreciate the. encouragement.
Appreciate 1
DiFFv189.50
      09-05-2019, 01:26 AM   #53
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
PROGRESS???
It's slow but steady. This is a one man job. The most difficult part is the fact that nowhere exists a parts list for what I'm trying to accomplish. This project quickly turned from an engine swap into a performance upgrade and semi-restoration.

If the oil seals, o-rinds, additional fasteners (I decided to replace the ferrous fasteners also), and miscellaneous hardware arrive tomorrow, I should have all the ancillary equipment attached to the engine and the engine attached to the tranny by Sunday. Assuming I haven't forgotten anything else

The sub-frame restoration is taking much longer than I expected. Hopefully, I'll have the steering rack reattached to the sub-frame by Sunday night also.

If things go well, the power train will be installed by Tuesday. Then my vacation is over. All that should be left is the F?M3 bbk & mc which I should be able to finish up working a few hours per night on the car. I'll try and post up some pics of the motor tomorrow night
Appreciate 1
DiFFv189.50
      09-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #54
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PROGRESS???
It's slow but steady. This is a one man job. The most difficult part is the fact that nowhere exists a parts list for what I'm trying to accomplish. This project quickly turned from an engine swap into a performance upgrade and semi-restoration.

If the oil seals, o-rinds, additional fasteners (I decided to replace the ferrous fasteners also), and miscellaneous hardware arrive tomorrow, I should have all the ancillary equipment attached to the engine and the engine attached to the tranny by Sunday. Assuming I haven't forgotten anything else

The sub-frame restoration is taking much longer than I expected. Hopefully, I'll have the steering rack reattached to the sub-frame by Sunday night also.

If things go well, the power train will be installed by Tuesday. Then my vacation is over. All that should be left is the F?M3 bbk & mc which I should be able to finish up working a few hours per night on the car. I'll try and post up some pics of the motor tomorrow night
Good stuff brother, Take your time. Slow progression will be a greater outcome.
      09-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #55
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Is it ok to pull the torque converter off the transmission and empty it? I plan on changing the tranny pan and filter anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #56
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Is it ok to pull the torque converter off the transmission and empty it? I plan on changing the tranny pan and filter anyway.
Little late, but yes, you can remove it and make sure it click (snaps) into place twice when you are reinstalling it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #57
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Little late, but yes, you can remove it and make sure it click (snaps) into place twice when you are reinstalling it.
Not too late. After place the motor & trans assembly into the car...My project came to a screeching halt due my wife's illness and subsequent treatment. She's now just starting to bitch: "When are you going to finish that damn thing!" I'm happy that the radiation and chemo didn't change her winning personality.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the weather to stay above 60F. I have re-group and get motivated. This has been made more difficult by another acquisition. I found a '08 335i E93 with 18k miles in mint condition for $11.5k

At my age, there isn't much enthusiasm amongst my friends to help. I have to pull the motor and tranny cause something definitely is not right. Cracked the oil pan. I was unable to line-up the trans, flywheel, motor assembly properly.

However, I'm planning on taking my time and get this right. I pull the converter but did not hear a click. Thank god there is a "u-pull it" fairly close. I figure ripping the front end off of one will help me remember how to put mine. back together
Appreciate 5
      09-24-2022, 05:08 AM   #58
f30giovanni
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I(RWD/PWG)

did you end up doing the swap? my engine is toast, my mechanic found metal shavings in the engine oil..anyway it needs a new engine.. im looking at this m235i engine with only 75k miles, i was wondering if i could replace my engine with that(i have a 2013 bmw F series N55PWG). Gonna have a good shop do it.! they are charging me $3500 for labor, i just needed to know 100% before i buy it and have them attempt it. If it doesnt work out id be on the hook for labor costs and still have a broken car with a new/used engine that doesnt have no use for me. They are willing to do it but they didnt confirm that it will work out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #59
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30giovanni View Post
did you end up doing the swap? my engine is toast, my mechanic found metal shavings in the engine oil..anyway it needs a new engine.. im looking at this m235i engine with only 75k miles, i was wondering if i could replace my engine with that(i have a 2013 bmw F series N55PWG). Gonna have a good shop do it.! they are charging me $3500 for labor, i just needed to know 100% before i buy it and have them attempt it. If it doesnt work out id be on the hook for labor costs and still have a broken car with a new/used engine that doesnt have no use for me. They are willing to do it but they didnt confirm that it will work out.
Uh, are you sure that the N55 w/75k miles is sound? $3.5k for labor seems inexpensive. Be prepared to spend at least another $1500 on "stuff."
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #60
f30giovanni
Rep

Quote:
Uh, are you sure that the N55 w/75k miles is sound? $3.5k for labor seems inexpensive. Be prepared to spend at least another $1500 on "stuff."
Yeah, there’s this BMW dismantling shop here in San Diego that parts out a lot of bmws and they have this very good condition M235i, only has rear end damage, in and out looks super clean. They make sure the engines are running too. And I’ll be ready for that little extra charge lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #61
f30giovanni
Rep

Quote:
Any updates on your 2011 335i with the 2015 N55? Trying to get this ball rolling with mine .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:55 PM   #62
Neil.Patel21
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30giovanni View Post
Yeah, there’s this BMW dismantling shop here in San Diego that parts out a lot of bmws and they have this very good condition M235i, only has rear end damage, in and out looks super clean. They make sure the engines are running too. And I’ll be ready for that little extra charge lol.
What’s the name of the shop? I need an engine☹️
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #63
Neil.Patel21
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i E92

Quote:
PROGRESS???

Any more progress updates or is this post toast☹️? I spun a rod on my n55 e92 last week at Buttonwillow. Worst part is that I had a VAC oil baffle pan welded into my oil pan when I changed my rod bearings. Anyway even if you did end up finishing or not I would love to get in contact with you since I’ll prob end up doing the same things. Thanks for any reply.
Appreciate 0