E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "2AA8" code but large DISA working fine??

07-13-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
Big_Al_E91_330i
Big_Al
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i 2006

"2AA8" code but large DISA working fine??

I have a 2006 330i N52 E91. I've had a couple of DISA codes 3 years or so ago (c. 130,000 miles) and ended up replacing the large (upper) and small (lower) DISA's with new genuine OEM. Wind forward a few years (now 176,000 miles) and I've got a "2AA8" code - no other codes - so I pulled the large DISA and visually it looks fine - resistance so can't move it by hand, fully open. Took a video of it and as soon as I start the car the flap snaps shuts, rev the car over 4/5,000 RPM and it snaps open, drop the revs and it snaps shut, turn car off and it snaps open. So the DISA looks to be working fine. Was a small amount of oil when pulled out of car but not much.

Before pulling the DISA out I was getting ready to buy another or more likely just repair with the i6 kit but now lots of headscratching - I could open it up and check for oil/gear wear inside but don't think that's it as it operates fine. Anyone got any ideas what to check?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al_E91_330i View Post
I have a 2006 330i N52 E91...I've got a "2AA8" code - no other codes - so I pulled the large DISA and visually it looks fine - resistance so can't move it by hand, fully open...Anyone got any ideas what to check?
Here's the TIS circuit diagram for DISA on your 2006 330i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/p2Ru7TJ

2AA8 is NON-specific by itself. You would do better with the P-code (P1511, P1512 or P1513). Here are the Bentley Definitions:
P1511 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit
P1512 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit Signal Low
P1513 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit Signal High

From ANY of those three definitions, it sounds like a loose/open connection in the DME activation wires, grounds, or F03 Fuse or Orange Power Supply wires. If you had INPA, ISTA or other BMW-specific Software or Scan Tool, you could Activate either the Large or Small DISA and see its On/Off position. I'll attach a sample screen (my 328xi does NOT have DISA, so it's NOT active on that screen) -- just to show you what CAN be monitored. Next post so as NOT to ruin margins here.

INPA would provide a definition, as well as other Details & Freeze Frame Data (SOME translation required as mostly in German), but Google Translate does good job on technical German, at least if you already know the English terms.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

INPA DISA Activation Screen, F6 | Shft+F6 Activate DISA
Appearance of Screen for MSV70 DME should be similar
Your Menu Function Key designations may differ
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
ahsm
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Here's the TIS circuit diagram for DISA on your 2006 330i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/p2Ru7TJ

2AA8 is NON-specific by itself. You would do better with the P-code (P1511, P1512 or P1513). Here are the Bentley Definitions:
P1511 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit
P1512 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit Signal Low
P1513 | 2AA8 | DISA (Differentiated Intake Manifold) Control Circuit Signal High

From ANY of those three definitions, it sounds like a loose/open connection in the DME activation wires, grounds, or F03 Fuse or Orange Power Supply wires. If you had INPA, ISTA or other BMW-specific Software or Scan Tool, you could Activate either the Large or Small DISA and see its On/Off position. I'll attach a sample screen (my 328xi does NOT have DISA, so it's NOT active on that screen) -- just to show you what CAN be monitored. Next post so as NOT to ruin margins here.

INPA would provide a definition, as well as other Details & Freeze Frame Data (SOME translation required as mostly in German), but Google Translate does good job on technical German, at least if you already know the English terms.

George
Hello

Sorry to bump the thread but didn't want to create a new thread.

I have a N52 (3 stage intake manifold), I recently bought a Foxwell NT520 scanner and I am still learning how to use it correctly. I scanned my 330i and got some codes, one of these was "2AAB/not present DME: Variable intake system, self-diagnosis"

I cleared all the codes and went for a 30 minute spirited drive and the code above came back. Reading about the code leads me to believe it is the larger DISA valve (beside the throttle body). Although you mention that this code is non specific and better to know the P code (is it possible to know the P code with the Foxwell scanner?). One other thing is that I noticed that my ground strap is green and corroded (the one at the bottom of the car, not in the engine bay) is it possible that the bad ground strap is causing the 2AAB code and it's not actually the DISA valve? Last question - If I take out my DISA valve today for inspection, do I need any new gaskets before putting it back on?

Thank you
Appreciate 0