E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ultimate driving machine my ass!

03-27-2016, 04:14 AM   #45
The Londoner
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325
I must say, these cars are a PITA. However, I love driving it.
That^^^^^^ is it in a nutshell.

By the way, anyone know if it's possible to code the onboard computer so when it dings with a fault "£" signs show instead? Reckon that'll be a truer representation of what your problem is...

£ = no lunch for a month to pay for repair
££ = bread and water for entire family for a month to pay for repair
£££ = surrender and exit car immediately, even if in motion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #46
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londoner View Post
.....probably took close to £197k of repairs to get it there, I imagine.

Just typing.
Hasn't wanted much to be honest! Original Turbo, was original clutch until the release bearing died about 10k ago. Other than the usual thermostats going and obvious things like bushes, dampers etc.

You bought a car with some faults, god knows you could do it with any other brand.

To be honest I'm not even entirely convinced you own a 335i! The trolling is just a little too obvious, not to mention outdated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #47
The Londoner
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londoner View Post
.....probably took close to £197k of repairs to get it there, I imagine.

Just typing.
Hasn't wanted much to be honest! Original Turbo, was original clutch until the release bearing died about 10k ago. Other than the usual thermostats going and obvious things like bushes, dampers etc.

You bought a car with some faults, god knows you could do it with any other brand.

To be honest I'm not even entirely convinced you own a 335i! The trolling is just a little too obvious, not to mention outdated.
I've never claimed to own a 335i... I own a 330i, but still feel I'm qualified to comment.

As mentioned a few times in my past posts... My grumble isn't engine specific. In fact, so far the engines themselves seem to be quite well behaved. But it's all the other components that appear to be made of cheese, with platinum prices.

What is it they say... A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. In my opinion these cars (the "chain") and their potentially excellent engines are massively let down by stupid little pricey sensors and pumps and ecus (the" links") kicking the bucket after a few years.

Example... My car has only covered 50k miles. Before me it's had hpfp failure, all injectors died, coilpack swapped, etc etc... So big money there if wasn't covered under warranty. I've had a nox sensor go... Price of part £400-£500. A rollover sensor go... Price of part £400-£500. ABS unit looking likely to go... Price of part approx. £2000. Every single thing all very common problems. Design faults I'd say. So with the labour, even at an indy... Potentially £4000 upwards since I've owned. I could go another route on the ABS unit and save shed loads, but it's a pain. I probably will though.

So, trolling??... Nah.
I'm being serious about what I think, but with a bit of jesting along the way.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 05:28 AM   #48
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any high performance (or French) car comes at a price premium to maintain.
OP, if reliability and low maintenance costs are your primary concern don't buy a 9 year old performance car and start crying when it needs work. Go and buy a Daihatsu.
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #49
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 330i M-Sport

I purchased a 330i (about 2 years ago) over the 335i due to reliability considerations. I looked at a stunning 07 335i SE coupe locally but the dealer was so desperate to get rid they knocked 2k off the asking price due to an "unknown knocking noise", probably a turbo wastegate issue. Instead of trading in my old car for the 335i I sold my car privately and traveled 400 miles to purchase the cleanest reasonable mileage, high spec 330i (n52 powered) M-Sport I could find (which happened to be an E90 rather than a coupe).

I sometimes wonder if I should have purchased the 335i or M3 I'd looked at, however when I consider the cost of maintenance the 330i still seems like the logical choice. They have enough power to entertain, sound awesome and are comfortable on long tours.

Having had BMW for 10 years I was first shocked to hear the cabin squeaks (since sorted) in the E90. BMW's build quality has certainly decreased while most mainstream makers have increased. Are BMW still top, hell yeah. Find another mainstream maker who builds rear wheel driven cars with high powered engines and similar driving dynamics.

325i/330i = less power but less risk of going wrong
335i = more power but more risk of going wrong

Last edited by BMW-330i; 03-27-2016 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #50
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Just have the fault codes read, fix the problem, and drive it like you stole it. There aren't Problematic cars. Just ones that need a repair. Mines pushing 226k and not much to speak of problem wise. If it just happened, it was probably something the dealer knew about. Get the codes read and fix it then talk to him. You are experiencing limp mode. Car protecting itself from damage due to a problem. It's not normal. Correct it and move on with your fun.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #51
LM
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
Any high performance (or French) car comes at a price premium to maintain.
OP, if reliability and low maintenance costs are your primary concern don't buy a 9 year old performance car and start crying when it needs work. Go and buy a Daihatsu.
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer
Why do you bring up the age of the car? people had to get their hpfp's replaced as early as 500 miles 1-2 months. It's a problematic car end of.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, I'm blaming myself because I knew the common problems and still went for it. Just a shame such a beautiful car with good specs turned out to be a so unreliable. It has nothing to do with the performance. Audi s3, golf r, audi tts, audi s5 all performance cars but the common problems are stuff like window regulators, sagging seats and maybe coil packs. Nothing nearly as pricey or hard to fix as with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #52
Nickos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 325d

This thread reeks of troll, but you clearly didn't check the car fully when you bought it, your loss.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #53
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM View Post
Why do you bring up the age of the car? people had to get their hpfp's replaced as early as 500 miles 1-2 months. It's a problematic car end of..
Replaced free of charge under a BMW warranty.

Quote:
Nothing nearly as pricey or hard to fix as with this.
You don’t even know what the problem is yet.

I do agree however that BMW’s need to be more reliable and less expensive to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #54
B@man335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 335i Xdrive

What was to be achieved by posting this thread? Did you think people would rally around you and agree? The vast majority of people with n54s love them, don't think this thread would change their mind. I mean if you just had a moment and wanted to vent to someone, I don't think a "fanboy" forum was the best place
      03-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #55
LM
Rep

Seriously I only wanted to show how frustrated I am. Everyone saying ye it's expensive to maintain but it's worth it. It's not worth it. Just because you have a performance car it doesn't mean the cost of maintaining it needs to be high there is plenty of brands out there that have similar or better performance with much better reliability. Yes it's my mistake and I have to live with it I will ofcourse have to pay up and keep it in good working order as I did with all my previous cars. But just don't like the idea of parts failing that are expected to be fine for 100k+ miles.

Either way I'm sorry for making you fanboys cry. Please don't cry it's only a car and at some time you will move on to better and more reliable brands I'm sure as will I. In the meantime she is my precious and who knows maybe I might turn out to love her more and more.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #56
k9david
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i E92

Have you considered taking out a warranty. For a known amount per month you will cover all/most of the risk, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #57
LM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9david View Post
Have you considered taking out a warranty. For a known amount per month you will cover all/most of the risk, just a thought.
Ye I actually looked into it but apparently you can't claim in your first three months plus most of the time they argue and find a way not to pay you. Also I'm thinking to get a remap so don't think that will really help.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #58
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'M WITH THE OP 100%....

I don't get why so many fanboys act like they work for the PR department of BMW...

Anyway, op do some reading on the n54 common issues...

Normally the error codes would relate to hpfp failure, bad sparks plugs, coil packs and injectors, carbon built up, boost pressure loss, vanos failures.

If a manufacturer is fucking up, they should be held accountable ( like BMW cracking wheels and dealer blame it on potholes...and everyone comes up with all sorts of excuses like the wheels are made by a different sub contractor or whatever...)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #59
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Seriously I only wanted to show how frustrated I am. Everyone saying ye it's expensive to maintain but it's worth it. It's not worth it. Just because you have a performance car it doesn't mean the cost of maintaining it needs to be high there is plenty of brands out there that have similar or better performance with much better reliability. Yes it's my mistake and I have to live with it I will ofcourse have to pay up and keep it in good working order as I did with all my previous cars. But just don't like the idea of parts failing that are expected to be fine for 100k+ miles.

Either way I'm sorry for making you fanboys cry. Please don't cry it's only a car and at some time you will move on to better and more reliable brands I'm sure as will I. In the meantime she is my precious and who knows maybe I might turn out to love her more and more.
In terms of performance, i don't think there are other cars that will give you the straight line speed performance and tunability of the n54 (you get about 60/70 bhp with just a remap). You mentioned tts and s5 ....just to be clear, a stock 335i will be faster than both a tts and an s5 ( i've driven a tts on numerous occasions). A remapped 335i will piss all over a tts.

Jap sti and evos, well they have 4 doors and don't look as good as an e92.

My brother just bough a c63 amg coupe and i drove it. It didn't feel that much faster than my remapped 335i... but the c63 is faster, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #60
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Buying a BMW makes absolutely no sense if you can't afford to maintain it, and any 9 year old car is a potential money pit. Fix it or flog it and move on.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 01:24 AM   #61
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100
Buying a BMW makes absolutely no sense if you can't afford to maintain it, and any 9 year old car is a potential money pit. Fix it or flog it and move on.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:02 AM   #62
pmmcbl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport

I think we need to put an end to this thread. We all have different opinions about the car. We all agree that the 335i is a great car. I love mine and I planned to keep it for a max 12 months, but I have a feeling I will keep it forever.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:44 AM   #63
The Londoner
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmcbl View Post
I think we need to put an end to this thread.
Do you??

I guess that's it then, thread done.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #64
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
In terms of performance, i don't think there are other cars that will give you the straight line speed performance and tunability of the n54 (you get about 60/70 bhp with just a remap). You mentioned tts and s5 ....just to be clear, a stock 335i will be faster than both a tts and an s5 ( i've driven a tts on numerous occasions). A remapped 335i will piss all over a tts.

Jap sti and evos, well they have 4 doors and don't look as good as an e92.

My brother just bough a c63 amg coupe and i drove it. It didn't feel that much faster than my remapped 335i... but the c63 is faster, no doubt.
Not really in Europe. In the US that's a different story. That said again you already did the work. It's not like you will need to do what you did monthly. Why bitch after the fact. The cows already left the barn.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #65
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Not really in Europe. In the US that's a different story. That said again you already did the work. It's not like you will need to do what you did monthly. Why bitch after the fact. The cows already left the barn.
I got every right to bitch like all the other people on n54tech whose experienced boost pressure loss and hpfp/ injector failures. And it happens across the globe not just the US.

Before i bought the car, I had the fan boys on the forum saying that everything is good and it's only after, when issues crop up and you start researching that you find out about the "common issues".

I'd rather have people commenting about their experiences rather than a bunch of fan boys saying things like "with every car, you could end up with a lemon ...or people only come on forums to complain"....

Even on this forum, there were members who sided with BMW on the cracking wheels issue. Fucking spunkbucket dildo breath asslicking cunts blaming potholes and rfts when it's the wheel that is of SHIT quality.

Don't get me wrong, i love my 335i but I'd rather be honest about my experience and I'm not the only one.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #66
Yoxall
Yox335d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d Msport 91 Touring

At the end of the day ! As said previously you have bought a car that has its fair share of problems !

Cracking car when spot on and running right ! But a mare when not !

If I did not love BMW's for how they drive, look and feel ! I would of saved a fortune and a lot of sleepless nights with my first e46 330d !

It was a nightmare ! But I loved it ! Common sense says by a Honda Accord and be done with it ! All the drama is part of owning a BMW !

I've bought and own a 9 year old 335d e91 ! I know the potential problems I face but there is no other car in my opinion that ticks the boxes it does !

I had a Leon fr between my 2 330d's e46,e90.

It was a cracking car but going from a 330d to a front wheel drive Leon with a horrible cheap Feel inside, and tractor sounding engine ! I had to go back to a BMW !

I understand your frustration but it's all part of owning the ultimate driving machine ! Lol !
Appreciate 0