E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > OHYEAH.JPG (my bluetooth works now)

11-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

OHYEAH.JPG (my bluetooth works now)

FINALLY got my E90 bluetooth coding to work! (I haven't done the retrofit, wanted to make sure I could code it before I spent money on the hardware)

Backstory: I have a late 2009-produced 328i. It HAS SA6FL (USB) and Professional Radio (2URAD) but NOT bluetooth, voice, or BMW Assist.

For a month I've been trying to code the thing. Nothing I tried worked. I added $644 to the VO easily enough (see Changing the Vehicle Order, attached), but nothing I tried could get the radio to respond to the updated VO.

Yesterday I tried downloading Revtor's profile for ncsexpert and "coding the whole car", but that didn't work either. Finally, I realized there's an "SG_RESET" job which I could do for the 2URAD module successfully, but it wouldn't take even being reset (which did complete successfully).

So finally, today, I realized that a bunch of people talked about "coding with a blank .man." Here's what I did.

1. Open NCS Expert.
2. File>load revtor's profile
3. F1, then F3, then E89, OK, CAS, OK (as usual)
4. Back
5. At this point, open FSW_PSW.trc, clear it, then save as FSW_PSW.MAN
6. Process Car
7. Other functions (F5, I think? At this point I'm going from memory, but I don't want to re-flash the car)
8. Load from FswPsw (as usual)
9. Process car (again).
Here, I got an error on the 2MULF (as you normally would trying to SG_CODIEREN it). I lost hope. But in desperation:
10. Change job to SG_RESET
11. Process Car. This now resets all modules one by one.
At this point, the radio restarted and I realized there was a TEL option in the menu. YIPPIEEEEEEEEEE!

I was able to pair my phone by putting it in the trunk in the back right corner right next to the MULF. Without an antenna, the BT signal propagates only a couple feet. I had to run back and forth from the dash to the phone to go through the pairing menus and whatnot, but in the end it succeeded.

I was able to place a call to the phone and answer in the car, though obviously I couldn't hear anything coming from the car/phone end since there's no mic attached at the moment.

I buy clock radio, he cannot AFFORD clock radio. Gret Success!

Now, to redo all the coding I previously did.
That's a good point, WRITE DOWN ALL THE CODING MODS YOU'VE DONE FIRST!

Edit: GJIMMY, GET OVER HERE!

Edit: Just finished gjimmy's car. Ended up doing the same process - initially, coding the CIC (idrive) with a blank .man file (revtor profile) brought up the 'telephone' option, but clicking it just got us 'please wait' indefinitely. Coding the whole car with a blank .man (revtor) didn't do much (I don't think) but doing a SG_RESET on the whole car caused a nice big light show as everything reset, and the iDrive came back up ready to play ball.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NCS_Changing_the_Vehicle_Order_CAS.pdf (1.56 MB, 2148 views)

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 11-01-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
cypis007
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: E91 318d Touring

Sounds outstanding! I'm gonna try this soon!

Update:
Did SG_CODIREN on RAD2 with Expert profile, received Error but at the end of the day, my voice control language has changed from german to engish. Woooohooo!
Of course, previously removed German language from VO and added English language to VO. My car is non-iDrive with Professional.

I did not use SG_RESET.

That mean there are various ways to do the same.

Anyway: TO RESET MODULE ALWAYS TRY SG_CODIREN WITH EXPERT PROFILE FIRST.
It's safe and may work.

Last edited by cypis007; 11-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Subject checked.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No lies, I kind of want to code in german voice command. What was the german language VO number?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
aramos28
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Had tried to activate bluetooth a few months ago and ran to a roadblock when it came to the 2URAD module. This worked perfectly. I have the professional radio and the 6FL option. Added the $644 to the VO then FA_WRITE for both CAS and NFRM. Tried the usual SG_CODIEREN and returned an error when it got to the 2MULF and then tried the SG_RESET and although it gave an error at the end, MY BLUETOOTH WORKS!!!

Had to put the phone in the trunk to get it to connect as I didn't want to purchase the antenna and mic until I was sure I could code the radio. Thanks a million!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah, as far as the antenna goes, I originally opted not to buy the OEM antenna because people warned me how big a pain it is to run the cable to that spot. In actuality, I ran the mic wire that way anyway, so it wouldn't have been a big deal at all.

What I DID do is buy these guys:

Antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200787149711...84.m1497.l2649

SMB->RP-SMA cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270680267026...84.m1497.l2649

SMB M to F extension:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390490798491

If I were to do it again (Well, I will on gjimmy's car), that extension gets you about from the MULF to the run of wiring harness under the carpet next to the driver. That's where I'd ideally mount the antenna (I'll take some pictures of his car when I do it).

What I ended up doing on MY car is mounting the antenna vertically in the wiring conduit behind the passenger side seat bolster. The coverage isn't theoretically as ideal, but it works well enough. Frankly, if you were REALLY cheap and REALLY lazy, any antenna at all (so just that rubber duck antenna and the adapter cable) is probably sufficient. Ideally, you have the broad side of the antenna facing the driver (or, generally, where you expect the phone to be).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
aramos28
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I have read that other members buy a short SMB cable and the original antenna and just leave the antenna in the trunk with the MULF. It is supposed to work just as well as if it were in the OEM location.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

I tried this method to reset my new 2URAD but this didn't work. I don't think I have a 2MULF but my radio has the MOST connector.

I don't want to duplicate my post so please see this topic if you want to help:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=687463&page=3
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramos28 View Post
I have read that other members buy a short SMB cable and the original antenna and just leave the antenna in the trunk with the MULF. It is supposed to work just as well as if it were in the OEM location.
Best guess, the OEM location was chosen for two reasons. 1) to give a good, highly directional coverage of the area from the driver's pockets to the center armrest, and 2) to move the strongest of the radiation mostly away from the more sensitive electronics. Yes, the OEM antenna is right next to the FRM, but the directionality of its design probably doesn't radiate much in that area - it'd be wasted anyway. Who puts their phone in the engine bay?

So then let's assume that the stock antenna location and radiation pattern are optimal. Well, it turns out, if your phone is in the arm rest area, you still can connect and maintain a call with no antenna at all. But the quality is pretty poor, lots of bubbling and popping since the bluetooth bandwidth and integrity is much reduced.

Adding ANY antenna greatly improves this, but if you're going to go to the trouble of spending the $5-$10 on the antenna and SMB->RP-SMA, you might as well spend 10m optimizing its placement.

If you're going to just leave it in the trunk and call it a day, I will suggest that you at least try to tuck it up ON TOP of the metal ridge towards the front of the car from where the MULF sits, the ridge the seats bolt into. That way you're at least not reflecting a bunch of the radiation away from the front of the car.

And like I said, if you're pulling a bunch of panels off to run the mic wire anyway, there's no good reason not to locate the antenna under the driver's scuff plate.

Any of these options won't present a clear night and day, works or doesn't work difference. They'll be marginally, hopefully noticeably but subtly better one vs the next vs the next. The real reason to just spend the 30m and $15 to go for broke is that you'll probably just chalk any quality issues up to crappy cell service when, really, you could be having a better conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I tried this method to reset my new 2URAD but this didn't work. I don't think I have a 2MULF but my radio has the MOST connector.

I don't want to duplicate my post so please see this topic if you want to help:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=687463&page=3
Since that's a review thread it's probably cleaner and easier to answer here. It looks like you've got a problem with your daten files, either they're incorrect, out of date, your perhaps you simply selected the wrong chassis code when you first opened ncsexpert. Anyway, search around for how to update to v47 daten. You can probably find the files on the internet somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
cypis007
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: E91 318d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
No lies, I kind of want to code in german voice command. What was the german language VO number?
S851A (aka $851)

Edit@Down:

My mistake, 853 (english) was what I was changing to. From 851 (german) of course.

Glad you figured it out, alex ;-)

Last edited by cypis007; 11-19-2012 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypis007 View Post
S853A (aka $853)
BOSS. What does it replace (english VO)? And does that control anything besides voice control?

EDIT: Wait, my factory config has 853 - Language Version English. So then what's the German code?

EDIT2: I'm a useless git who doesn't search. For reference, 851 is Language Version German.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Since that's a review thread it's probably cleaner and easier to answer here. It looks like you've got a problem with your daten files, either they're incorrect, out of date, your perhaps you simply selected the wrong chassis code when you first opened ncsexpert. Anyway, search around for how to update to v47 daten. You can probably find the files on the internet somewhere.
Yes it was a DATEN file update issue. I fixed this by updating to the latest version and now I can read / write.

I was able to edit manually the file but a simple reset with the proper VO on CAS and FRM doesn't do the job. I manually added the BT but could not found the code for the USB. So I tried to change the build date, not writing it to CAR but writing the 2URAD. Now I lost BT but get the USB. I can compare the 2 .MAN file to get both function but I would prefer to do it the proper way with the VO only. Also, I never got the Voice Command again...I'm maybe miss a VO.

Anybody has a FSW_PSW.MAN from a fully working 2URAD to share?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So you shouldn't have to program the radio or mulf at all, only reset them (many have programmed unmodified FSW_PSW.MAN jobs to the same effect). Did you try running SG_RESET on the entire car all at once? In any event, giving you a FSW_PSW.MAN from a working 2URAD is 1) impossible, at least for me: most people can't program 2URAD with a K+DCAN cable. Maybe it's a daten thing, but I don't think so: my radio resets no problem, but I get a "module didn't respond" error trying to program it (not the error you got, my coding setup knows where to find it). It's also 2) bad - the FSW_PSW.trc is generated by reading present values from your own ECUs. Giving you a file read from a different unit may well have subtle differences or codes that don't exist in your hardware revision but do in mine, vice versa, etc etc.

By the way, what car do you have? I know E91, but specifics are critical.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

My car is a 2006 e91 US (Canada).

-I tried to reset the hole car..I get the USB but not the BT and Voice Command. (If I change the Build date to #0911
-I can get the BT if I manually edit the 2URAD FSW_PSW.MAN file

-I have not been able to edit the FSW_PSW.TRC with the USB working and adding the BT. This is my best route for now. I would prefer to do it by using only the VO but there is something wrong. There is my FA:

E91_#0911&KASW%0A22$1CA$203$205$240$249$2BH$354$38 6$402$431$441$459$464$494$4AG$502$520$521$522$534$ 544$548$563$5GA$640$645$663$676$694$6FL$6NN$818$82 3$838$845$850$853$876$896$925$992*VT13-B090

Anybody see something wrong in my VOs?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hahahaha, yes! You seem to have added $6FL (USB) but not $644 (Bluetooth/phone prep). NOTE: $664 is USA spec Bluetooth/phone prep and $644 everywhere-else-spec, but nobody's really sure what the difference is, and all the retrofits (including mine) use $644.

Undo your changes to the radio (maybe it doesn't matter) then add $644 to your existing $6FL, reset, and you should be golden.

Certainly is interesting that you've managed to code the radio itself and turn the bluetooth option on manually, though!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hahahaha, yes! You seem to have added $6FL (USB) but not $644 (Bluetooth/phone prep). NOTE: $664 is USA spec Bluetooth/phone prep and $644 everywhere-else-spec, but nobody's really sure what the difference is, and all the retrofits (including mine) use $644.

Undo your changes to the radio (maybe it doesn't matter) then add $644 to your existing $6FL, reset, and you should be golden.

Certainly is interesting that you've managed to code the radio itself and turn the bluetooth option on manually, though!
Ha man!!! You got it!! I had it but delete it during my testing...thank you so much!

Yeah I got no error msg with the 2URAD anymore since I have updated the DATEN and all the softwares with the latest versions.

I still don't have the Voice Control...did you found a way to get it?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It depends what you mean. Do you have iDrive? (I could probably find out from your VO, but... I'm not going to ) In that case, voice control actually... does stuff. And you might want it. Otherwise, the voice control that comes with non-idrive bluetooth is super basic and pretty useless. It'll let you dial phone numbers directly, which is great if you have numbers memorized. It'll also let you dial names, but you have to manually put them in the car's phonebook - it listens to you saying the name and has a matching algorithm, rather than a more modern synthesis-and-matching algorithm to match, say, names it only knows the spelling of in your PHONE'S phonebook (which you can browse from the headunit).

Anyway, are you saying that when you click the voice button on the steering wheel it just... doesn't do anything?

edit: while we're at it, do you have an iPhone new enough to have siri? If so, that'll work over bluetooth, and will far outstrip built-in voice command usefulness, idrive or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Bad news...NCS had my old 2URAD config in memory and used it during my last test so I retried and adding $644 doesn't bring the BT.

I don't have Idrive but yes I have SIRI on my Iphone and for sure this is better than the native BMW Voice Control. I'm just curious to try it and I like when everything works on my car. But, this is not a big issue if I can't get it. To call SIRI, do you use the home button on the phone or you can call it from the car? With my Belkin BT, I can call SIRI by holding the Belkin BT's button.

Do you have the FRM or NFRM? Do you think my FRM is an issue? I was able to add $644 to the CAS but not to the FRM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mine's NFRM. What's the problem when you try to FA_WRITE FRM? That definitely could be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypis007 View Post
S851A (aka $851)

Edit@Down:

My mistake, 853 (english) was what I was changing to. From 851 (german) of course.

Glad you figured it out, alex ;-)
So unfortunately, and I'm not quite sure why, changing the VO from 853 to 851 (in both CAS and NFRM) didn't seem to change the voice command language, even after a reset . Bummer, all I want to do is bark at my car in German!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine's NFRM. What's the problem when you try to FA_WRITE FRM? That definitely could be the issue.
I had to stop for today but I will check tomorrow.

BTW, do you have a MULF or the built-in BT in the new radio? Some peoples doesn't add $644 but they add $6nn. Do you know the difference?

I tried with only $6nn and $6nn + $644 at the same time. Only $6fl (USB) seem to work for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I do NOT have the integrated bluetooth, I have a 2MULF in the trunk. And I didn't notice you added $6NN too, that could also be a problem I didn't add it, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

As the BT and USB seem to work, I will wait my microphine and USB socket to arrive before doing more tests. Maybe my manual setup is working as expected but I will not have the useless voice control and ventilation.
Appreciate 0