Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 245/45ZR17 99Y air pressure

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
maduroz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 245/45ZR17 99Y air pressure

I just recently upgraded my tires to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in a 245/45ZR17 99Y. My car is a 2010 BMW 335i xdrive e90. My door card says to run tire pressure at F-33 R-38. My car came with a square set-up on ContiProContact SSR grand touring tires in a 225/45/17. I ran a set of Michelin AS3's but after getting just about 17,000 miles out of them wanted to try something else.

I just installed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 mounted on a 17x8 inch wheel in a 245/45ZR17 99Y square. So as far as tire pressure goes I have the door card which I think is too high in the rear and too low in the front. Discount Tire says to run F-28 and R-32. At that pressure it is really noticeable the delayed turn in and the tire fighting me when I try to turn the wheel. They also don't have as good of grip or that planted feeling the AS3's had. Cornering is also nothing like the AS3's. They stuck amazing and turned instantly. I knew the DWS 06s wouldn't act like this from reading other reviews.

Anyway I now have the tire pressure at 32psi all around and the front delayed turn in is better. Not fighting me as much to turn. It's still there slightly. I was thinking about putting 34psi all around to see if that gets rid of most of it. I also don't want to get too high of air pressure because I drive on bad roads and don't want a teeth chattering wheel cracking ride. And I don't want the middle of the tire to start wearing out from air pressure being too high. Does 34psi all around sound ok or what would you suggest especially those of you that may have run or are running these tires. I'm also going to get an alignment in 2 weeks and I am rotating and balancing every 3000 miles to help make them possibly last longer.

Let me know your recommendations. Thanks
MPPSK, DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 (MPPSK), K&N Air Filter, M-Sport, Adaptive Suspension, 6MT, MP Front Splitter, MP Kidney Grills, MP Steering Wheel, Stainless Pedals, CF Mirror Caps, CF Spoiler and CF and Alcantara MP Shifter and E-Brake

Traded in - 2010 BMW 335i xDrive, 6MT, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduroz
I just recently upgraded my tires to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in a 245/45ZR17 99Y. My car is a 2010 BMW 335i xdrive e90. My door card says to run tire pressure at F-33 R-38. My car came with a square set-up on ContiProContact SSR grand touring tires in a 225/45/17. I ran a set of Michelin AS3's but after getting just about 17,000 miles out of them wanted to try something else.

I just installed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 mounted on a 17x8 inch wheel in a 245/45ZR17 99Y square. So as far as tire pressure goes I have the door card which I think is too high in the rear and too low in the front. Discount Tire says to run F-28 and R-32. At that pressure it is really noticeable the delayed turn in and the tire fighting me when I try to turn the wheel. They also don't have as good of grip or that planted feeling the AS3's had. Cornering is also nothing like the AS3's. They stuck amazing and turned instantly. I knew the DWS 06s wouldn't act like this from reading other reviews.

Anyway I now have the tire pressure at 32psi all around and the front delayed turn in is better. Not fighting me as much to turn. It's still there slightly. I was thinking about putting 34psi all around to see if that gets rid of most of it. I also don't want to get too high of air pressure because I drive on bad roads and don't want a teeth chattering wheel cracking ride. And I don't want the middle of the tire to start wearing out from air pressure being too high. Does 34psi all around sound ok or what would you suggest especially those of you that may have run or are running these tires. I'm also going to get an alignment in 2 weeks and I am rotating and balancing every 3000 miles to help make them possibly last longer.

Let me know your recommendations. Thanks
Why not try it? Not like you're going to hurt anything and it takes two seconds. I run about 34 rear and 32 front. Feels good to me and no weird wear pattern
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
maduroz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

I went up to 34psi cold pressure all around it really fought me again. Every time I the wheel it fights me which is not an awesome feeling. I'm going to go back down to 32 all around because it was pretty good there and I'm getting the 4 wheel alignment checked to make sure there's nothing weird going on. Going to have all suspension components checked as well.

Maybe it's a simple adjustment. If not tires are going back and I'll either get Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus or Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Posiition or maybe go back to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 except I'll get the newer AS3+ version. At least it had quick turn in but only lasted 17,000 miles and winter traction was scary. Unless anyone else has a suggestion. Looking to do 245/45zr/17 in a Y speed rating. Square setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduroz View Post
I went up to 34psi cold pressure all around it really fought me again. Every time I the wheel it fights me which is not an awesome feeling. I'm going to go back down to 32 all around because it was pretty good there and I'm getting the 4 wheel alignment checked to make sure there's nothing weird going on. Going to have all suspension components checked as well.

Maybe it's a simple adjustment. If not tires are going back and I'll either get Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus or Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Posiition or maybe go back to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 except I'll get the newer AS3+ version. At least it had quick turn in but only lasted 17,000 miles and winter traction was scary. Unless anyone else has a suggestion. Looking to do 245/45zr/17 in a Y speed rating. Square setup.
If you were in Canada I'd say buy my tires I have for sale
BFG G-force comp 2 A/S. Top rated all-season on tire rack, seriously awesome shoes that outperform many summer tires.
Appreciate 0