E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Code in a new FRM Module for Dummies?

10-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Post Code in a new FRM Module for Dummies?

Hi Guys,

New to all this coding stuff but I work in software so I'm pretty fast at picking it up. I've seen a lot of how to guides for this but they are with the assumption that people can already use the tools.

So Far I've learned basic coding changes in NCSExpert and I understand whats going on there. Can anyone post a step by step on how to make the necessary coding changes once the new FRM is in place.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Most people do it in 2 steps:

1. Change VIN by flashing module with winkfp - use comfort mode and also update module.

2. Recode FRM to your default VO (vehicle order) using ncsexpert and an EXPERTMODE profile.

Beware, this is for a like for like swap. e.g. FRM3 replaced with FRM3. If you are upgrading / downgrading. Additional coding may be required depending on your vehicle options and production date.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Most people do it in 2 steps:

1. Change VIN by flashing module with winkfp - use comfort mode and also update module.

2. Recode FRM to your default VO (vehicle order) using ncsexpert and an EXPERTMODE profile.

Beware, this is for a like for like swap. e.g. FRM3 replaced with FRM3. If you are upgrading / downgrading. Additional coding may be required depending on your vehicle options and production date.
Thanks Sensible, It was an upgrade from FRMA (1) to FRM2. I know theres a date change required. so far its working perfectly in the car since Ive changed it. I've had no issues coding anything in the FRM but I cant get into the DSC module. I've got an issue with my start off assist and it wont let me in to look.

Is there an easy way to use WinKFP to flash the dsc module or do you just flash the FRM and it does all of it? I've never used WinKFP so I'm not sure how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

What is the exact problem with the DSC? What fault codes are being thrown? Typically it may just need a steering angle sensor recalibrated.

WINKFP flashes individual modules. After flashing you should code the module back to factory default using ncsexpert mode once your VO has been updated.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What is the exact problem with the DSC? What fault codes are being thrown? Typically it may just need a steering angle sensor recalibrated.

WINKFP flashes individual modules. After flashing you should code the module back to factory default using ncsexpert mode once your VO has been updated.
The original error I got was CCID-354 start off assist inactive. I had a guy do coding for me initially and when he was done I had a Christmas tree dash. A lot of those errors went out by themselves except for the start off assist.

I changed the FRM because my reverse lights were out and electric mirrors stopped working. The FRM change resolved that. So If I am understanding you right I should do the following;

FRM Coding IN
1. Flash the FRM to get the VIN changed
2. Update the VO in NCSExpert
3. Put the module back to factory default in NCS EXPERT
4. Change the date

DSC issue

1. Flash the module in WINKFP
2. Return the module to default in NCSExpert

sorry if I'm confusing this
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Regarding FRM.

You are correct however the order is slightly wrong.

Here is my steps from a previous post:

Quote:

The basic steps:
1) Remove FRM, install FRM2.
2) Use WinKFP to program the module, make sure to enter your VIN-number before programming.
3) Switch to NCS-EXPERT. Get your Vehicle Order from the CAS module (as we are unsure of what the FRM2 module contains.
4) Write the Vehicle Order to module "FRM" using job "FA_WRITE"
5) Go back to the main menu (or restart ncs-expert) and get the vehicle order from the "NFRM" module. Make sure NFRM returns YOUR VIN and YOUR VO. We want the VIN (FG) and VO (FA) to be the same in both CAS and NFRM.
6) You now need to do the trick described by 4711 a couple of posts back, i.e. change the production date in the VO to at least #0307. If you don't do this, ncs-expert will not list NFRM (=FRM2) in the "Process ECU"-list and you won't be able to code it. Change the VO using the "Enter FA" option - remove your production date and enter #0307 (meaning march 2007).
7) Now click "Process ECU" and select "NFRM" NOTE: you actually don't need to save the date change, only simulate it.

Then just code to default with expert mode.
Your DSC issue could well be a steering angle recall issue. Try recalibration With tool 32. Follow guide below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=9
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regarding FRM.

You are correct however the order is slightly wrong.

Here is my steps from a previous post:

Your DSC issue could well be a steering angle recall issue. Try recalibration With tool 32. Follow guide below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=9

You are a gent and a scholar! I'll give all of that a bash and hopefully not break anything.

Thanks for the help here.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I forgot to mention, all of the above will take several minutes. You should consider connecting an external power supply at 13.8v or at the very least a battery charger. The vehicle battery will get drained very quickly with such intense ECU programming / coding.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I forgot to mention, all of the above will take several minutes. You should consider connecting an external power supply at 13.8v or at the very least a battery charger. The vehicle battery will get drained very quickly with such intense ECU programming / coding.
That's good to know. I'll try it this weekend. I need to get a battery charger then!

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Don't get me wrong, you may be absolutely fine without. You could flash the FRM then take the car for a drive then do the coding once the battery is charged again. However the official advice, and my advice is to hook up a dedicated power supply capable of a stable 13.8v (up to 14 should be fine) rated at 70a plus. These power supplies aren't cheap.

A battery charger won't give you the same level of stable power but I suppose it's better than nothing.

At the end of the day it's your call. 99% something like the process suggested will be fine just on the battery. But there is a small risk. Many people code some modules with the engine running also (some you should not e.g CAS).

If you want to risk it without any power support, I would not flash the FRM2. I would change the vin using tool32. It's much quicker. But won't update the firmware.

In tool32 VIN change choose FRM_70.prg and select job: C_FG_SCHREIBEN with your VIN as the argument.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, you may be absolutely fine without. You could flash the FRM then take the car for a drive then do the coding once the battery is charged again. However the official advice, and my advice is to hook up a dedicated power supply capable of a stable 13.8v (up to 14 should be fine) rated at 70a plus. These power supplies aren't cheap.

A battery charger won't give you the same level of stable power but I suppose it's better than nothing.

At the end of the day it's your call. 99% something like the process suggested will be fine just on the battery. But there is a small risk. Many people code some modules with the engine running also (some you should not e.g CAS).

If you want to risk it without any power support, I would not flash the FRM2. I would change the vin using tool32. It's much quicker. But won't update the firmware.

In tool32 VIN change choose FRM_70.prg and select job: C_FG_SCHREIBEN with your VIN as the argument.
Hi Sensible,

So I tried what you said about recalibrating the angle speed sensor and unfortunately it made no difference. In fact, I now get a 4x4 error to add to my collection. Really I now feel like I'm just making things worse That 4x4 error is also not showing me a CCID code. It may be old and might just disappear itself I hope.

So I hope this may help. I looked in INPA and got a read of my modules and the status/VINS etc. There are quite a few of them that are wrong. I've tried to attache an image of it.

I also tried to enter the ZUSB number of the DSC to try and flash it but got another error. I have tried to attach that here too.

Any Ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Don't worry out the 4x4 errors. They should go out once the vehicle is driven a few miles. With INPA read what codes are being thrown and clear them. Also I wouldn't flash DSC right now. I do t think that will help you. Keep an eye on your battery voltage too.

Also the VINs don't matter, that is normal.

You cannot type in the same zusb into winkfp. You should use the update process. It will select the correct zusb automatically when you tell it which module to flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't worry out the 4x4 errors. They should go out once the vehicle is driven a few miles.

Also the VINs don't matter, that is normal.

You cannot type in the same zusb into winkfp. You should use the update process. It will select the correct zusb automatically when you tell it which module to flash.
Ok, thats good to know,

How will I know what module to flash? They are all strange codes and I dont know which one to pick.

Screen attached

Sorry for being so clueless here and your help has been amazing thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Don't bother flashing DSC. I don't think that will help you to be honest. You must keep an eye on your battery voltage too. Sometimes a weak battery produces DSC warning lights on the dash.

On a side note, is that all the ECU's families in your winkfp. There should be many many more. Download BMW Coding Tool and use it to import SP daten to winkfp again.

Read the error memory with INPA. Copy it, then clear the errors.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #15
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't bother flashing DSC. I don't think that will help you to be honest. You must keep an eye on your battery voltage too. Sometimes a weak battery produces DSC warning lights on the dash.

On a side note, is that all the ECU's families in your winkfp. There should be many many more. Download BMW Coding Tool and use it to import SP daten to winkfp again.

Read the error memory with INPA. Copy it, then clear the errors.
Okay, Thanks for that.

This start assist error came into play when a guy did some coding for me to turn off an adaptive headlight error. God knows how that happened to pop up after that but you may be right. It could be coincidence and the battery is weak.

The fact that I cant access the dsc module to code the error out, do you think its worth trying to flash it anyway? I'm going to get a guy to remotely link in and code the new FRM in properly but I doubt that will solve that issue.

Alternatively, I could always get the battery changed and see if that helps..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

You can still read the error / fault codes with INPA and clear them...

So someone has been coding this vehicle previously? Don't go buying a new battery just yet. Let's see what errors there are first.

Even if you get FRM done remotely you'll still need to adjust your setup. Something isn't quite right with winkfp. In ECU family should be a very long list of modules. BMW Coding Tool will correctly import the daten files for you automatically.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can still read the error / fault codes with INPA and clear them...

So someone has been coding this vehicle previously? Don't go buying a new battery just yet. Let's see what errors there are first.

Even if you get FRM done remotely you'll still need to adjust your setup. Something isn't quite right with winkfp. In ECU family should be a very long list of modules. BMW Coding Tool will correctly import the daten files for you automatically.
Yeah, the only error I had was an adaptive headlight error. Got a guy to code that out but he ended up making a balls of it and gave me more errors. I'm conscious of doing the same myself. I can handle basic coding of features but this stuff is out of my depth slightly.

The car was second hand so the errors I get for the start assist could have been coded out before I got the car. Its hard to know. I'll try sort out my winkfp and see where I am after that.

You've been a great help and its much appreciated. I owe you a pint!

Cheers,

Liam
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

No worries. PM me any questions. It's fairly common to be honest. Nothing to worry about. Just watch that battery. I would try reading and clearing then reading again fault codes now though to see where you are at.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
KhalilD
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

needed this
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:58 AM   #20
Coopers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I have replaced my FRM3 with new FRM3 module and changed the VIN with TOOL32 and default coded VO to thr new module. When reading data from FRM it brings back the correct VO but the old VIN. Mirrors are still not working. Anyone can help?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
Joemintball
Rep
Drives: E91 330D MSport 2007

Hi all so iv got a 2007 330d E91 and I've been trying to code the frm modual in ncs expert and it didn't seem to accept any of the changes I make I'm guessing that it has something to do with it only showing frm in the read ECU list instead of nfrm if I flash my from modual and do all this date changing and so on will this allow me to code it I'm just trying to stop hot and cold checks on my side repeaters that are now leds
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #22
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemintball View Post
Hi all so iv got a 2007 330d E91 and I've been trying to code the frm modual in ncs expert and it didn't seem to accept any of the changes I make I'm guessing that it has something to do with it only showing frm in the read ECU list instead of nfrm if I flash my from modual and do all this date changing and so on will this allow me to code it I'm just trying to stop hot and cold checks on my side repeaters that are now leds
Sounds like you only have a FRM1. If NFRM is listed, then you have a FRM2/FRM3.

What profiles do you have listed in NCS?
Appreciate 0