E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Should I install Aftermarket Eonon Head Unit?

05-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #45
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
The gps antenna goes into the pillar area right side and also you would be routing the mic same way just have to bring it across to the middle from the pillar into the center roof light console.
Is this the way you did yours? Most of the videos I've seen route each wire from different sides. Is it because of probable interference?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #46
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Yes as far as I can remember that's how I did it no problems
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #47
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes as far as I can remember that's how I did it no problems
Thanks Gruesome3... By any chance, did you install a backup camera? If, please share the installation procedure and if you had to use a relay. I plan to purchase the camera that is integrated on the trunk release.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #48
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep

I did not yet install one but I did watch some YouTube videos of installs and there was no mention of relays.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #49
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I did not yet install one but I did watch some YouTube videos of installs and there was no mention of relays.
Cool..There are a bunch of them. Mind posting a link of one that you plan to follow, and which camera are you planning to install?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #50
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
By any chance, did you install a backup camera? If, please share the installation procedure and if you had to use a relay. I plan to purchase the camera that is integrated on the trunk release.
I have a similar camera with my pioneer double din.

I did not use a relay, so that I can use the camera even if I'm not reversing. Rare use case, but whatever.
      05-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #51
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

For those who have recently installed an Eonon unit. My 9165b that just arrived has two silver screws (instead of black) that seem to be smaller than what I have seen on the videos. These are the screws that mounts the unit itself.

Per the manual, we are supposed to screw the metal bracket for the AC unit to the car's center console, which I haven't seen anyone do in the videos I've watched. My guess the silver screws I received are for the bracket to console. Note that I'm not talking about the four little screws.

So did yours come with two black or silver screws, in addition to the four small ones?

There is also a more expensive 9265b but only quadcore and 2gb of RAM vs the 9165 with octacore with 4gb of ram? Why is this the case? Better processor on the 9265?

Last edited by ducatiti; 05-24-2019 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #52
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

All done. Removed stock stereo/AC unit the night before. Shaved off the AC unit trims and mounted both units on bracket before I went to sleep. 45 minutes the most.

When I woke up, I started routing the mic and gps wiring through the right A pillar only. Placed the mic in the overhead light console. Hooked everything up and installed the unit in probably an hour. Hardest thing for me was to pull the air bag tab from the pillar. Tip here is to use a knife instead of a screw driver or pry tool. I used a Swiss Army knife like in one of the videos out there.

Everything works to include all the buttons on the steering wheel, even the hands free calling button which I have never used before because I don't have the bluetooth module from the factory.

Also another tip, when watching videos while the handbrake is down, the video will flash/flicker as a safety function. There is a setting on the unit which disables this feature.

So far, clock/setting remain on the 9165b without the need of tweaking any setting.

Favorite things I can do now are Wayz, Netflix, Spotify, and YouTube. For Spotify. I chose the option to download my albums/songs so I don't have to use data each time since I only have 10gb for Hotspot.

Hope this helps for those who are interested of purchasing one.

Well worth the price especially when bought for less than $200.

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #53
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep

Nicely done sir. Another note that I like to add is that when playing YouTube and you have selected
Your favorite mixes etc. you can control fordward/back with steering wheel control which is nice if you want to be focused on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #54
madhan127
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
All done. Removed stock stereo/AC unit the night before. Shaved off the AC unit trims and mounted both units on bracket before I went to sleep. 45 minutes the most.

When I woke up, I started routing the mic and gps wiring through the right A pillar only. Placed the mic in the overhead light console. Hooked everything up and installed the unit in probably an hour. Hardest thing for me was to pull the air bag tab from the pillar. Tip here is to use a knife instead of a screw driver or pry tool. I used a Swiss Army knife like in one of the videos out there.

Everything works to include all the buttons on the steering wheel, even the hands free calling button which I have never used before because I don't have the bluetooth module from the factory.

Also another tip, when watching videos while the handbrake is down, the video will flash/flicker as a safety function. There is a setting on the unit which disables this feature.

So far, clock/setting remain on the 9165b without the need of tweaking any setting.

Favorite things I can do now are Wayz, Netflix, Spotify, and YouTube. For Spotify. I chose the option to download my albums/songs so I don't have to use data each time since I only have 10gb for Hotspot.

Hope this helps for those who are interested of purchasing one.

Well worth the price especially when bought for less than $200.

Thanks.

Hi ducatiti, I'm new here and just bought a Eonon 9165B and a reverse camera. First of all You have done an awesome job on your installation. Did you happen to install your camera as well and what wire did you splice for camera power? Do I have to add a relay to it?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #55
madhan127
Rep

I started installing the trunk release camera (cheaper one for $25) and I couldn't find any thread about which wire need to be spliced for reverse camera. Based on my probing I see
gray/violet --> reverse (+12v)
brown --> ground

To my surprise the left and right side has a different color wire for reverse (may be for light bulb fault detection they have different switch).

I'm planning to splice and gray/violet (left side) reverse light and add a rectifier+filter for camera power. If that doesn't workout then I'll remove the recitifier+filter and add the relay with constant +12V.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #56
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan127 View Post
I started installing the trunk release camera (cheaper one for $25) and I couldn't find any thread about which wire need to be spliced for reverse camera. Based on my probing I see
gray/violet --> reverse (+12v)
brown --> ground

To my surprise the left and right side has a different color wire for reverse (may be for light bulb fault detection they have different switch).

I'm planning to splice and gray/violet (left side) reverse light and add a rectifier+filter for camera power. If that doesn't workout then I'll remove the recitifier+filter and add the relay with constant +12V.
Sounds like a plan... Can you please post a link for the rectifier+filter for me to purchase as well?

Also, which specific camera did you purchase? There is a variety in Amazon ranging from $21-$70.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #57
madhan127
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a plan... Can you please post a link for the rectifier+filter for me to purchase as well?

Also, which specific camera did you purchase? There is a variety in Amazon ranging from $21-$70.
This is what I got..
Camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Weivision-Col...ateway&sr=8-16

Rectifier+Filter:
https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Inte...gateway&sr=8-1

There are cheaper ones out there for camera, looking at pictures the $21 looks the same as the one I bought.
I opened the filter I bought and it only has a diode + LC filter (nothing fancy) so the $6/7 would also just do fine.

I spliced the wire with quick splice connect and added the rectifier, measured the voltage with multimeter and it seems to stay at ~13V (while in reverse and car running). I'm trying to check if the camera works but don't have a monitor to verify it. Going to continue Eonon installation this weekend and test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #58
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan127 View Post
This is what I got..
Camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Weivision-Col...ateway&sr=8-16

Rectifier+Filter:
https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Inte...gateway&sr=8-1

There are cheaper ones out there for camera, looking at pictures the $21 looks the same as the one I bought.
I opened the filter I bought and it only has a diode + LC filter (nothing fancy) so the $6/7 would also just do fine.

I spliced the wire with quick splice connect and added the rectifier, measured the voltage with multimeter and it seems to stay at ~13V (while in reverse and car running). I'm trying to check if the camera works but don't have a monitor to verify it. Going to continue Eonon installation this weekend and test it.
Thanks again… I ordered the camera today and should receive it tomorrow. Looking forward to you installation 

I have a 2006 325i, and I’m not sure if the need of a relay would be the same for our cars.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I trace/test the positive and ground wires for the reverse lights? I have a tester and all but don’t know how to test lol.

From your voltage test with the rectifier, it seems to be good though. Did you happen to test it without the filter installed?

Edit: I read a review for the rectifier link you posted.. it mentioned the ground wire to the chassis instead of the wire from the reverse light to make it work. Did you do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #59
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

madhan127, mind sharing how a relay should be property installed? I may just install one from the get go. My local shop quoted me $125/hr for an estimated 4-6 hours.

Simple instructions such as 85 connected to negative terminal, etc.

Lastly, will this relay work?: https://www.amazon.com/KEENAXIS-Auto...Z1QGD7TY8HP0ER

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #60
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salernod View Post
I'm new on BMW. I have over 10 years driving all kind of Ford. I decided to get a 2010 323i at a very low price here in Abu dhabi. With that price I was expecting something wrong and indeed it was the radio BMW professional unit that was not working. Also the reverse distance sensors were not working but later I realized that the radio was also the culprit. Instead of reparing or replacing by a similar unit I decided to get the eonon. That would also resolve another problem, the lack of backup camera in this car. So I ordered the backup camera that comes embedded in the trunk handle and the eonon GA9165B. I installed the unit 2 days ago. Some information I was looking for in the internet was not available for example how gets the back up camera activated? Many videos and post suggested that the camera should be connected to the backup light. Another question I had was whether the sensors will work or not with the eonon.

To clarify in case anyone has these questions:
Do not connect the camera to the backup lights. If you have to do it because your radio doesn't have canbus then use a relay. Otherwise the eonon has connectivity to the canbus and it can detect when the vehicle is put in reverse. The best solution here is to maintain the camera powered with any 12v output. The video cable that has to be routed to the radio has the red power wire embedded so this can be connected to the fuse box or to one of the 12v outputs of the radio.
The canbus of the eonon also updates the clock of the car. If you change the clock in the radio the new time gets updated on the dashboard automatically.
The outside temperature sensed by the car is also transmitted to the radio and remains in sync.
The steering wheel buttons obviously work.
When the any door is open, the signal is also sent to the radio and the radio will show which door is open.
The reverse parking sensors also send the signal to the radio. When in reverse you can see the shape of the car and have visual and audio chimes.
When you get a warning on the dashboard the radio plays a chime.
There are other posts about the specific functions of the radio I'm not going to deep on them but overall I'm very happy with the unit and sound quality is much better than expected.
Another tip. The radio needs internet to take advantage of it's full capabilities. One suggestion is to install a portable 3g modem-wifi. Another option is using the hotspot of your mobile but this requires to manually activate it everytime you get into the car. Since I'm using a Samsung phone I found another solution. There is an app for android called macro-droid. In this app you can program actions done by your phone when it receives a trigger. I programmed my phone to turn on the hotspot automatically every time a the eonon is connected via bluetooth. I tested this and works like a charm. When I turn on the car the phone connects via bluetooth automatically and this triggers the hotspot in my phone that then the radio connects to automatically.
madhan127, per the quoted text above, he suggested not to tap the back up lights for power but rather connect the red piggyback wire on the yellow video cable to one of the 12v outputs of the eonon.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #61
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Will hooking it up the camera for the Eonon this way work?

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #62
madhan127
Rep

Quote:
Will hooking it up the camera for the Eonon this way work?

Ducatiti, for measuring the positive and negative terminal I have a multimeter to check it. For E90 brown seems to be a common ground.

For relay connection:
Pin85 --> Ground (brown - in my case)
Pin86 --> Reverse light (gray/violet - in my case)
Pin30 --> 12v source (battery might be close option, install with a fuse)
Pin87 --> To camera positive

(camera negative can be tied to same reverse negative (brown).

What salenrod's did would also work but I think, canbus will detect the reverse and switch the screen to video input mode for camera but he mentioned he is using a constant 12V for camera so that means camera will be powered all the time but you just don't see it on the screen.
I would like to do turn on the camera only when in reverse that is why I'm triggering based on reverse light. (Just my ocd way )

I installed the rectifier+filter and connect the camera to a separate monitor to check and that seems to work don't see any glitch so that might ok I think but will be installing the eonon today/tomorrow will see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #63
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Duplicate post

Last edited by ducatiti; 06-01-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #64
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the write up. Pls keep us posted upon your install.

So did you connect the red and black wires on the rectifier directly to the reverse light positive and ground wires, and other end to the camera?

I received the camera today and will be ordering the rectifier upon your confirmation that it works with the Eonon
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #65
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

So I just got done doing the wiring from the head unit to the trunk, all tuck away. I may just do the connections to the camera itself in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #66
madhan127
Rep

I installed the eonon and the camera works on reverse and seems to good. I do see some noise in the line but its not that bad but I would consider installing a relay if it gets worse.

Another issue after installing the eonon is "SOS warning" did anyone have this issue?
My stock unit had the fiber optic cable but the wires wires were not the same as show so I didn't install the A0581 (fiber optic decoder). Eonon seems to work fine (plays radio, bluetooth etc) except the warning while starting and "!" all the time.

Any thoughts on this? Really appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0