E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Parts list for automatic trans service

05-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Parts list for automatic trans service

I've got a 2013 E92 335i that is giving me some rough shifts in the low gears. It's got about 65k miles on it, so I want to go ahead and fully service the transmission to hopefully alleviate some of those issues.

Since I have to crack the trans open regardless, I want to replace the mechatronic sleeves & seals and replace the solenoids, as well as draining & refilling the fluid.

Before I order a bunch of parts, can someone confirm if I need anything additional to the parts listed below?

Trans service kit with filter, pan, bolts, fluid, sleeves & seals
Solenoid kit

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I think you're good with that as a general service kit. May/not fix your issues, though. Make sure you read up on the re-fill procedure. Might want to pick up an infra red thermometer, if you don't already have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullcitybmmer View Post
I've got a 2013 E92 335i that is giving me some rough shifts in the low gears. It's got about 65k miles on it, so I want to go ahead and fully service the transmission to hopefully alleviate some of those issues.

Since I have to crack the trans open regardless, I want to replace the mechatronic sleeves & seals and replace the solenoids, as well as draining & refilling the fluid.
When was the last time your transmission fluid was changed? In many cases fresh fluid will fix the rough shifts. 65K seems pretty low mileage to be having issues though. I think the recommendation is to replace the pan and fluid at 100K, but I would agree that if you're replacing the pan you might as well replace all the seals.

I'm not sure if you should do the solenoids. If $300 isn't an issue then sure it's a great time to replace them since you already have the pan and mechatronic unit removed. But it might not even be necessary at that mileage. Hopefully a real expert will comment with some actual experience (these forums are full of people who just like to comment even though they are often just guessing - for example I have 230K miles on my 6HP19 and when I asked a question about shifting noise I was told that "my transmission is F@#%ed" even though a simple fluid change resolved the issue). I personally haven't replaced my solenoids, but from reading around here it seems that the solenoids will often fix the harsh 2-1 downshift.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
When was the last time your transmission fluid was changed? In many cases fresh fluid will fix the rough shifts. 65K seems pretty low mileage to be having issues though. I think the recommendation is to replace the pan and fluid at 100K, but I would agree that if you're replacing the pan you might as well replace all the seals.

I'm not sure if you should do the solenoids. If $300 isn't an issue then sure it's a great time to replace them since you already have the pan and mechatronic unit removed. But it might not even be necessary at that mileage. Hopefully a real expert will comment with some actual experience (these forums are full of people who just like to comment even though they are often just guessing - for example I have 230K miles on my 6HP19 and when I asked a question about shifting noise I was told that "my transmission is F@#%ed" even though a simple fluid change resolved the issue). I personally haven't replaced my solenoids, but from reading around here it seems that the solenoids will often fix the harsh 2-1 downshift.
It's still running on the factory fluid. I've seen recommendations all over the board from 60k-100k, so I'm just going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get this taken care of.

I hear you about the solenoids.... I was on the fence about it, and it is honestly probably overkill, but I don't want to crack it open again for a long, long time, so I'll go ahead and eat that $300.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I don't care what people say, I wouldn't trust any fluid to 100k, let alone life time. About 60k should be about the max trans fluid should be replaced at, IMO. I'm at 57k and will be doing it soon.
Appreciate 0