E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Suggestion for woofer, speakers and amplifiers

05-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
moderat0r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 323i sedan

Lightbulb Suggestion for woofer, speakers and amplifiers

Hello,

Can you please advise for this bmw e90 2011 323i Sedan, which amp, woofer and speakers to buy? I dont want to spend too much $, I am in mid-range budget for this audio upgrade. I have no plans to change Business head unit radio on the car as it will add more $$ to budget and it already has Aux and USB which I require to play music. I am going to install everything by myself.
Thanks for reading.
      05-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Look up the posts in the audio forum, LOTS of great info there, helped me install a full system in my 323.

First thing you need to know is what system you car currently has (base, hifi, logic7).

Depending on your goals for the system, your upgrade path may be different too (more volume, extra bass, good sound quality, audio competition, etc).
      05-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Look up the posts in the audio forum, LOTS of great info there, helped me install a full system in my 323.

First thing you need to know is what system you car currently has (base, hifi, logic7).

Depending on your goals for the system, your upgrade path may be different too (more volume, extra bass, good sound quality, audio competition, etc).
This. I'd do lots of digging in there before making any kind of decision on equipment.

As for my experience in equipment, keep in mind I'm old school, I always had great luck with JL subs and PPI amps. Out of all the systems that I have had, my favorite set up was a 15' Alphasonic sub, a 1500 watt MB-Quart amp and Polk Audio mids and highs. I had it in a beater Mitsubishi Montero that was my play/work ride. Sadly, due to the system in that thing I drove it more than the Lexus in the garage most times. The highs were so clear that you felt like your ears would bleed and the bass would damn near make you nauseous.

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-23-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      05-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
In terms of equipment to use, there are lots of options depending on your goals and budget.

Assuming path of least resistance...

JL 600/6 or similar multi channel amp (if using a separate sub, you may want a dedicated amp for that)
- you'll defo want an amp if you're swapping speakers... if you have hifi, try upgrading just the amp before deciding if you still want to upgrade the speakers too... a little bit of power goes a long way with stock speakers (except for base, those just suck)
- if you have base audio, you'll want to recode your head unit to hifi.... but if not adding amp, don't code it
- of course aftermarket deck would mean no need for coding, and also additional features you may not have now (I upgraded to pioneer double din)

Drop in speaker kit for full front stage (mids, tweeters, under seat 8" woofers)
- even if you have base audio with 6" woofers, the 8" ones will fit
- MB Quart was prob the best value drop in kit, but harder to find now (discontinued perhaps)

Get the right harness from technic, easy DIY, reversible installation

If also adding a dedicated sub, infinite baffle (IB) and corner load enclosures seem to be most popular. Highly recommend IB for efficiency and sound quality with very little roll off as the sub plays very low bass

Good luck!
      05-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
moderat0r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 323i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
In terms of equipment to use, there are lots of options depending on your goals and budget.

Assuming path of least resistance...

JL 600/6 or similar multi channel amp (if using a separate sub, you may want a dedicated amp for that)
- you'll defo want an amp if you're swapping speakers... if you have hifi, try upgrading just the amp before deciding if you still want to upgrade the speakers too... a little bit of power goes a long way with stock speakers (except for base, those just suck)
- if you have base audio, you'll want to recode your head unit to hifi.... but if not adding amp, don't code it
- of course aftermarket deck would mean no need for coding, and also additional features you may not have now (I upgraded to pioneer double din)

Drop in speaker kit for full front stage (mids, tweeters, under seat 8" woofers)
- even if you have base audio with 6" woofers, the 8" ones will fit
- MB Quart was prob the best value drop in kit, but harder to find now (discontinued perhaps)

Get the right harness from technic, easy DIY, reversible installation

If also adding a dedicated sub, infinite baffle (IB) and corner load enclosures seem to be most popular. Highly recommend IB for efficiency and sound quality with very little roll off as the sub plays very low bass

Good luck!
thanks a lot