E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New tips on P.E. & lost burble

03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

New tips on P.E. & lost burble

I had some new Dimisa 3.5" tips installed today and the first thing I noticed was the majority of the exhaust burble disappeared. If you listen closely you can hear a little bit vaguely but nothing like before. So is this a common thing when changing tips on the Performance Exhaust? Sucks because one of the main reason why I chose this setup was for the burble. Would DP's bring it back or is it gone forever.

UPDATE: Drove the car today in DS and the burble is definitely there like before. It sounded great just like the way it use to in normal D mode but DS use to make the car really snap, crackle & pop and that is no longer there. But in the end at least in DS it's there if I want to hear it. So I'm cool with that.

Last edited by !LEFTCOAST!; 03-10-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

This is exactly why I didn't change my PE tips. Thanks for the write up because I was very worried that this would be the result. Maybe go back to the PE tips and sell these to someone who is trying to replace their stock tips.

I have DP's but I doubt that's the main reason why the PE has that snap, crackle and pop sound. I never had the PE on while I had OEM DP's.
      03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
This is exactly why I didn't change my PE tips. Thanks for the write up because I was very worried that this would be the result. Maybe go back to the PE tips and sell these to someone who is trying to replace their stock tips.

I have DP's but I doubt that's the main reason why the PE has that snap, crackle and pop sound. I never had the PE on while I had OEM DP's.
I'm just shocked that a simple tip change would make that much of a difference. I never believed people when they would say "Tips change the sound of your exhaust", because I would think how is that possible. Now it didn't change the exhaust note but killed the burlble so there is something to that theory. In the end I guess I traded the burble for a better looking setup because I couldn't go any longer with those horrible tips that came with the PE. Didn't go into it looking to trade anything though....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
UltimateDM
UltimateDM
Armenia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i MT

Hmm i guess its the opposite if you have stock exhaust cuz with my 4" dimisa tips i gained more burble :
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Yeah, it's been documented before, tips definitely do alter the exhaust sound, even with just a 1/2" diameter increase.
Not sure what else you can do to recover it tho
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396185&
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Yeah, it's been documented before, tips definitely do alter the exhaust sound, even with just a 1/2" diameter increase.
Not sure what else you can do to recover it tho
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396185&
Yeah, I actually read that awhile ago and thought it was BS I guess there was some truth to it after all. Lol....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I tried to tell people, but others would swear it did not change the sound. My ears aren't that sensitive and I immediately noticed the difference. I had the tips rewelded the following day. Dps won't make a difference. If you look at the inner design of the pe tips, it kinda makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
A lot of people actually mentioned this. My case was totally the opposite.

I switched to some custom quad tips and the burbles turned into loud pops now. The exhaust note changed and it changed for the better. I simply could not believe how noticably different just a set of tips made the exhaust sound because usually they don't make such a difference. I like the sound of my setup a lot better now actually. It's deeper down low and less raspy up top, but still has that PE scream and the pops and gurgles actually sound better. It's hard to describe a sound in words, but the point is the PE does change based on tips.
Find a tip that expands in diameter and also has thin walls and I think you may be happier or just stick with the OEM's if you can live with them.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
A lot of people actually mentioned this. My case was totally the opposite.

I switched to some custom quad tips and the burbles turned into loud pops now. The exhaust note changed and it changed for the better. I simply could not believe how noticably different just a set of tips made the exhaust sound because usually they don't make such a difference. I like the sound of my setup a lot better now actually. It's deeper down low and less raspy up top, but still has that PE scream and the pops and gurgles actually sound better. It's hard to describe a sound in words, but the point is the PE does change based on tips.
Find a tip that expands in diameter and also has thin walls and I think you may be happier or just stick with the OEM's if you can live with them.
I'm thinking thin wall might be the ticket to keeping the burble because the tips I just put on are double wall & thick.
Appreciate 0