E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I made a goof. Rookie mistake haha

02-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #1
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

I made a goof. Rookie mistake haha

As humans we make decisions based off prior experiences and others opinions.

I thought I had modding my stock exhaust figured out. My brothers old car a 10 328i we did a muffler delete on and it was perfect. Hardly loud at all. Then he upgraded to a 2012 335ix which came muffler deleted. Sounds great. Slightly loud for late night driving but really not annoying. Can drive two hours up to the mountain and it's perfectly fine.

So here I am thinking oh i'll just muffler mod with some resonators and it'll be perfect.(n54) I'm FBO already btw. So I spent hours in the shop fabbing the rear portion of the exhaust. First drive out I was pissed! It's so damn loud! Crazy drone, vibrates a lot, and ear plugs are necessary on the freeway.

I literally drove home(30 min), and that was enough for me to decided I was going to buy a system. I cut the stock mufflers up pretty good and just said screw it and ordered the VSRF street exhaust that night. Almost went with Turner valved exhaust but I didn't think it sounded all that good and the price...

Life is funny and frustrating sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaismygame View Post

I thought I had modding my stock exhaust figured out. My brothers old car a 10 328i we did a muffler delete on and it was perfect. Hardly loud at all. Then he upgraded to a 2012 335ix which came muffler deleted. Sounds great. Slightly loud for late night driving but really not annoying. Can drive two hours up to the mountain and it's perfectly fine.

So here I am thinking oh i'll just muffler mod with some resonators and it'll be perfect.(n54) I'm FBO already btw. So I spent hours in the shop fabbing the rear portion of the exhaust. First drive out I was pissed! It's so damn loud! Crazy drone, vibrates a lot, and ear plugs are necessary on the freeway.

I literally drove home(30 min), and that was enough for me to decided I was going to buy a system. I cut the stock mufflers up pretty good and just said screw it and ordered the VSRF street exhaust that night. Almost went with Turner valved exhaust but I didn't think it sounded all that good and the price...

Live and learn! I don't blame you buying a whole system. I have the Corsa exhaust and love it.
You don't have a XI right? The vrsf will not fit the xi.
      02-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

RWD. I considered just picking up some rando mufflers and trying that out. But I'm getting tired of working on this car (modding it more than driving it) and just said screw it. Almost went with the Agency power setup. On their site the whole kit is on sale for $585. https://www.agencypower.com/agency-p...1-p-31157.html

Tough price to beat! But I couldn't find the data I was looking for where the VRSF kit had a lot. I want more sound but nothing that loud. Probably should have just kept it stock and modified it. I'm thinking too if the VRSF kit is too loud ill add a resonator too it. I liked too that the VRSF kit had bolt on tips. I already have some nice dual carbon tips that work well with my quad diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:

Don't expect much better with the street exhaust unless you get vibrant resonators.

Should have gone with the Turner. I run the Bomiz and super happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #5
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
A...(n54) I'm FBO already btw. So I spent hours in the shop fabbing the rear portion of the exhaust. First drive out I was pissed! It's so damn loud! Crazy drone, vibrates a lot, and ear plugs are necessary on the freeway...
Everyone seems to have different definitions of "FBO" but if your definition includes catless downpipes, then ya that's gonna be loud. Those and the turbos do just as to muffle the exhaust sound than the entire rest of the exhaust system.
edit: everyone also has different definitions of "loud" haha

Last edited by ewicky; 02-19-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Imo one of the best exhaust options for these cars is the vrsf street paired with a vibrant resonator.
      02-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #7
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

When I purchased my 335i it had the BMW performance exhaust already installed but even with stock down pipes it was obnoxious. I kept the center pipe and swapped back to a factory rear section, it sounded pretty good, still had a bit of burble. I now am running Cobb high flow catted Down pipes with it and it is almost perfect. Burbles, not much crackling but when you get on it is screams. Daily driving, it has no drone and sounds meaty but not annoying at all.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 05:12 AM   #8
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Imo one of the best exhaust options for these cars is the vrsf street paired with a vibrant resonator.
Does the VRSF street exhaust drone with stock resonators?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Does the VRSF street exhaust drone with stock resonators?
The vrsf street exhaust does not come with a resonator (its a single 3.5 inch pipe). The resonators from the stock exhaust will not fit on the street exhaust as the sizes are completely different.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, I love this setup on my car. There is no drone or raspiness like on so many setups I have heard over the years without any cats. It's just a tiny bit louder than a stock exhaust with downpipes (I love this setup as well).
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      02-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
Quote:
Agreed, I love this setup on my car. There is no drone or raspiness like on so many setups I have heard over the years without any cats. It's just a tiny bit louder than a stock exhaust with downpipes (I love this setup as well).
I love the sound of oem + catless dp + golf tee as well, sounds great. I do prefer the VRSF street with a resonator for only one reason and that is the spool sound lol
      02-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #12
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The vrsf street exhaust does not come with a resonator (its a single 3.5 inch pipe). The resonators from the stock exhaust will not fit on the street exhaust as the sizes are completely different.
Is there any exhaust systems (rear muffler will do) for a E90 335i (N54) that doesn't require another resonators to be bought?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I love the sound of oem + catless dp + golf tee as well, sounds great. I do prefer the VRSF street with a resonator for only one reason and that is the spool sound lol
How bad is the smell with catless downpipes?

Only thing that really put me off,

OEM mufflers with the Golf T mod at the moment, sounds pretty good agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is there any exhaust systems (rear muffler will do) for a E90 335i (N54) that doesn't require another resonators to be bought?
I have the Corsa exhaust. Has its own built it resonator. Sounds amazing with Catless dps. Really barks above 3000 with zero drone.
      02-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How bad is the smell with catless downpipes?

Only thing that really put me off,

OEM mufflers with the Golf T mod at the moment, sounds pretty good agree.
I was worried about this also before I went catless. The smell is decently strong if you are stationary with the windows down. While your moving you can't smell anything. If you do some downshifts coming to a light with the windows down you will get a good wiff once you stop. That's about it.
Also makes your garage smell like an old Honda if let it idle in there for a while.
The worst was the first few days as the metal and new gaskets broke in.
      02-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #16
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I was worried about this also before I went catless. The smell is decently strong if you are stationary with the windows down. While your moving you can't smell anything. If you do some downshifts coming to a light with the windows down you will get a good wiff once you stop. That's about it.
Also makes your garage smell like an old Honda if let it idle in there for a while.
lol, I can't stand that, I drive with my windows partially down most of the time, looks like I'll have to stick with cats at the moment until I can get catted high flow ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have the Corsa exhaust. Has its own built it resonator. Sounds amazing with Catless dps. Really barks above 3000 with zero drone.
Thanks mate, will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol, I can't stand that, I drive with my windows partially down most of the time, looks like I'll have to stick with cats at the moment until I can get catted high flow ones.
I do too but it's not that bad. Depends which way the wind is going if stationary. Reversing with windows down is when you will notice the smell. Smells like old Honda to me lol.
I didn't notice a huge power gain like a lot of members. I had the Corsa exhaust first tho which has huge piping. I think that alone freed up some Hp. The two together sound so good though.
      02-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #19
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

The Turner system was the max I was considering spending. If the VRSF Street is too loud it's no biggie ill Tig a resonator on it. Need more excuses to use my Tig.

The Bomiz and Corsa are way too expensive for pieces of pipe. Much rather spend the grand I saved on something else. The Agency Power looks like a great buy too especially if a resonator is added.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #20
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The Turner system was the max I was considering spending. If the VRSF Street is too loud it's no biggie ill Tig a resonator on it. Need more excuses to use my Tig.

The Bomiz and Corsa are way too expensive for pieces of pipe. Much rather spend the grand I saved on something else. The Agency Power looks like a great buy too especially if a resonator is added.
I agree the Corsa is way too expensive. I was lucky and the previous owner just installed it before the sale.
Have you looked into the Cobb exhaust as well? Looks decent for the price and not too loud.
      02-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #21
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree the Corsa is way too expensive. I was lucky and the previous owner just installed it before the sale.
Have you looked into the Cobb exhaust as well? Looks decent for the price and not too loud.
I'm sure that was a reasonable deal then! I looked at probably every option available. Too many companies thinking they have exhaust kits made of gold. My VRSF kit is suppose to be here tomorrow. Already have the car on the lift with the exhaust removed. I just read on another thread the outlets off the muffler are 2.75". If that's true that's redic! Tips don't come in that diameter. Might have to cut up my current tips and weld reducers on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #22
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else but I actually like the smell of my car (it's on full e85).
Appreciate 0