E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Registering a used battery?

11-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
bee-ma
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92

Registering a used battery?

If I am replacing my battery with a used but genuine BMW battery with the same specs, does it need to be registered or calibrated in any way?

I understand it needs to be done for new batteries.

The old one is made by Banner, the replacement one is made by Exide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

pretty sure it will,but the way it is charged will be like a new battery,,so maybe just leave it,,depends how good the replacement battery is,,if its like new then i would register it,,if not id just leave it,,the car will charge it a a rate of the old battery condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Don't be so tight, just put a new battery on it
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
unless he knows the battery is very good,,id just fit new one also,,peace of mind knowing its not gonna die soon..every little fault the car has from now on will make you think about the battery
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
bee-ma
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
unless he knows the battery is very good,,id just fit new one also,,peace of mind knowing its not gonna die soon..every little fault the car has from now on will make you think about the battery
I got it at a good price, it is newer and has exactly the same specs as the old one. I therefore thought it is worth a shot. So far so good.

Is there any way to check the "life" of the battery through INPA or other diagnostic software? Does the charging rate change depending on the life of the battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

from what I have read the following would seem to be the situation

1). If you register a new battery the battery (and in some cases the alternator) will last longer
2). If you do not register a new battery it may be "over charged' and have a shorter life than a battery that has been registered, plus the alternator may also have a shorter life, (to a small degree)....... but these would seem to be the only disadvantages, i.e. it will not affect the way the car runs or any parts of the electrical system, (other than the alternator or battery).
3). If you change the battery from an AGM battery to a normal "flooded" battery, (or vice versa), or replace the battery with a battery with a different power rating, it is more important to register the battery than if not.
4). I have also read that the charging rate does change depending on the age of the battery.

I would say that all the above information has been gleaned from internet forums and I have never been able to find an authoritative statement from BMW, (although BMW dealers say that when fitting a replacement battery it should be registered)........ I have little faith in what many BMW car dealers tell you and I always check with at least three before I take any advice they give as useful.

As far as your situation is concerned, I have never read what should be done when you replace the battery for a used battery, but if registering would cause the system to treat it as a new battery I would think that logically it would cause the system to under charge the battery....... but I really have no idea.

It is a pity that BMW do not have a free technical help line

(but all the above could be BMW "smoke and mirrors" - to cause you to use their dealerships, and it really is a load of bollax that with all these "electronic" smarts that modern BMWs have, that it cannot recognise automatically when a new or different battery is replaced, if that is indeed needed)

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 11-07-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0