E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Reducing smoke on a 330D

10-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #45
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
My EGR is clean as a whistle, although I'm sure my inlet manifold is in a terrible state. The issue is if you read the MOT test details the car is revved high and that's when the smoke occurs. I guess for many people it will be how strict the MOT tester is.
EGR delete won't let you pass an MOT with a DPF delete. Like you said, when they rev it there will be a bit of soot. I'm just saying it might make life easier for those who have DPFs.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #46
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Hi,

Having read the mot manual the tester has to smoke test your car against the manufactures limit. This is on your manufacture plate/sticker between driver and passenger door. It should be 0.50 max.

It can’t smoke at idle while they are warming it up. You need to try another mot station. They sound like they have taken the law incorrectly.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #47
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Only faults I know of are Glow Plug (either module or plugs) and the main thermostat doesn't get above 80.
Isn't the recomended running optimum temperature 90 degrees + a little

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 11-14-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #48
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I've got a Pre-LCI 2006 330d. I bought the car and previous owner said it had a DPF delete and Stage 1 map(I thought it had a clogged DPF cause of the smell and smoke.) It did smoke like a chimney.

After a good 5-6months of daily driving around town and long drives all together. It smokes very casually now, even when I floor it at times the smoke is not even as mad as I'm used to.

It feels like everyones has different results. But after the great responses regarding BW Chip, I will be heading down to him shortly for sure!!

P.S. - Nobody mentions the smell we suffer from having no DPF. In the summer when windows are mostly down, the smell is quite unbearable. Luckily(lol) UK is mostly cold cause it is a bit of a buzzkill. Dont you guys agree? How strong of a smell do your DPF-less machines do?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #49
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

just gont keep breathing it in,,uts way bad,,and yeh it stinks,,,when you come to lights etc and you know your going to be there more than say 10 seconds,,just turn off
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #50
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

My car is in with a dealer at the moment. One of the issues (other being a snapped NSR coil spring) is thick smoke after the engine has been left running idle for more than 5-10 minutes. This eventually clears after the car has been enthusiastically driven for a while. Exhaust tips are also black with soot.

Technician has 'diagnosed' that the injectors are weeping, so getting them replaced. Could anything else be causing it? Turbo? EGR related?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #51
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post
I've got a Pre-LCI 2006 330d. I bought the car and previous owner said it had a DPF delete and Stage 1 map(I thought it had a clogged DPF cause of the smell and smoke.) It did smoke like a chimney.

After a good 5-6months of daily driving around town and long drives all together. It smokes very casually now, even when I floor it at times the smoke is not even as mad as I'm used to.

It feels like everyones has different results. But after the great responses regarding BW Chip, I will be heading down to him shortly for sure!!

P.S. - Nobody mentions the smell we suffer from having no DPF. In the summer when windows are mostly down, the smell is quite unbearable. Luckily(lol) UK is mostly cold cause it is a bit of a buzzkill. Dont you guys agree? How strong of a smell do your DPF-less machines do?

Let me know how you get on with the remap by bw chip, he’s in London right?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #52
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

^ Yes, he is. I'm from the opposite side of him but he is definitely the first person I contact in regards to any tuning. Will make posts on here about that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #53
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
Let me know how you get on with the remap by bw chip, he’s in London right?
middelsex
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #54
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you get a tune done?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #55
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
My car is in with a dealer at the moment. One of the issues (other being a snapped NSR coil spring) is thick smoke after the engine has been left running idle for more than 5-10 minutes. This eventually clears after the car has been enthusiastically driven for a while. Exhaust tips are also black with soot.

Technician has 'diagnosed' that the injectors are weeping, so getting them replaced. Could anything else be causing it? Turbo? EGR related?
How did it go? What colour was the smoke?

All resolved?

Did you get any videos?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #56
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

FYI, regarding the MOT regs...
- any visible smoke at any RPM from a car which was originally fitted with a DPF is a fail.
- any signs of tampering (or removal) of the DPF is a fail.

So if you want to pass an MOT without needing a 'postal MOT', you need to have the DPF in place and it needs to work. Since it's been proven that you can reliably make good power with a DPF in place, there really is no reason to remove it...unless you intentionally want to clog up the planet with more soot. Not trying to be holier than thou or whatever; it just annoys me seeing cars which should run clean, but are billowing black smoke everywhere...it's not clever or cool!

As has also been stated in various places in this thread, it doesn't take a crazy long drive to keep the DPF happy; my 10mi/20min each way commute did it fine (M57 330d, no tune, decent fuel). You do need your thermostats to be working properly though, and other things like glow plug module errors can also prevent active regens.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:18 AM   #57
Geo248
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

HI all,

I'm getting DPF error come up right now on mine. I replaced the Thermostatas (reading 92 degrees now on the dash) and the car has no other codes present (using snap on reader) except the dreaded 480 & 481.

I work not far from BM Chiptune, but within the people I know locally, have heard mixed reviews. Has anyone had them work on the DPF's before, interested to hear what people think.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #58
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Can you read codes using INPA? May have shadow codes which could be a clue.

I think, but have no proof, that 0480 and 0481 codes correspond to the EGT not reaching 250degC quickly enough during active regen, and that an adaptation limit has been reached and it still doesn't reach 250C.

So if that's true, it means that either the EGT probe is faulty (possible, but I think it would normally fail in a way that would cause a code), or there's something else in the fuel/combustion systems that is preventing the increase in EGT. My first suspect would be glow plug module, even though it's not causing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #59
Geo248
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Can you read codes using INPA? May have shadow codes which could be a clue.

I think, but have no proof, that 0480 and 0481 codes correspond to the EGT not reaching 250degC quickly enough during active regen, and that an adaptation limit has been reached and it still doesn't reach 250C.

So if that's true, it means that either the EGT probe is faulty (possible, but I think it would normally fail in a way that would cause a code), or there's something else in the fuel/combustion systems that is preventing the increase in EGT. My first suspect would be glow plug module, even though it's not causing any codes.
I don't have access to an INPA system, and I don't know anyone locally who does. I'm going for a run tomorrow to compare idle/warmed up temperatures and pressures. I know the previous owner replaced the (heat?) sensor and pressure sensor with OEM parts, so it may be glow plugs.
Is it possible for the glow plug module to throw a shadow code and not appear in an OBD read? I'm a relative newbie to this, so appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #60
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I *think* it's possible for the glow plug module to fail and not throw a code at all...that could be wrong though. Shadow codes are generally ignored by most scanners, because they're not stored as errors...they're sort of things that the DDE is keeping an eye on because that particular component had a wobble at one point.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #61
Geo248
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I *think* it's possible for the glow plug module to fail and not throw a code at all...that could be wrong though. Shadow codes are generally ignored by most scanners, because they're not stored as errors...they're sort of things that the DDE is keeping an eye on because that particular component had a wobble at one point.
Ah okay, I'll have a deep dive and see if I can find any info on it. I went to a garage to have a full scan done, and he said that the car had no codes (aside from the 480 & 481 ones).

I know that none of the plugs themselves were throwing errors, but could the module itself go? I.e. would the module only fail if a plug failed, or could the module fail and then lead to plug failures?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:53 AM   #62
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

The module itself is a common failure, as are plugs (after a certain mileage/age). The failures are independent of each other, but you may only see plug failure codes even though it's actually the module that's failed, etc.

My car was showing only 1 working glow plug, so I replaced them all. After that all but 1 worked (apparently), but over a year another 2 'failed'. I replaced only the module and now all 6 plugs are fine.

Having read a few threads about it, maybe I'm wrong about the controller failing with no codes - seems it would normally throw at least one glow plug code.

I think shadow codes/inpa would be a good first step, as it's cheap and will be very useful in future.

P.S. Even through all my glow plug codes, which I had for years, and many short journeys (current commute is 2mi ), I've never had any DPF trouble (touch wood!!!), and the car runs very clean.

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 07-17-2020 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #63
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glow plug controller failure won't give a code, but all 6 plugs will show as failed.

For me, any glow plug failures and the DPF will not regen.

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #64
Geo248
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The module itself is a common failure, as are plugs (after a certain mileage/age). The failures are independent of each other, but you may only see plug failure codes even though it's actually the module that's failed, etc.

My car was showing only 1 working glow plug, so I replaced them all. After that all but 1 worked (apparently), but over a year another 2 'failed'. I replaced only the module and now all 6 plugs are fine.

Having read a few threads about it, maybe I'm wrong about the controller failing with no codes - seems it would normally throw at least one glow plug code.

I think shadow codes/inpa would be a good first step, as it's cheap and will be very useful in future.

P.S. Even through all my glow plug codes, which I had for years, and many short journeys (current commute is 2mi ), I've never had any DPF trouble (touch wood!!!), and the car runs very clean.
I'm going to have to try and find someone locally who knows what they are looking at in it. I've zero knowledge with it all haha!

I went out for a run earlier (with a mate cancelling the codes using carley) and the 480 particulate filter error was constantly coming up even after being cleared.

The picture below is basically it at cruising speed (65mph around 1500rpm). At one point it *looked* like it wanted to regen, as the exhaust temp climbed to 325, but it then suddenly stopped.

I'm fully out of ideas now, and I don't want to spend all the money replacing module/plugs if it'll still not regen! DPF's are a bloody nightmare!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:26 AM   #65
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, fair shout. They are difficult because they don't give you any clues - it could be almost anything upstream of it that's causing the trouble.

I really do recommend getting yourself INPA and a cable though - it'll save you so much hassle and money in the long run! And just maybe you'll find shadow codes or something that'll be a clue for this too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:29 AM   #66
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
Glow plug controller failure won't give a code, but all 6 plugs will show as failed.

For me, any glow plug failures and the DPF will not regen.
Not necessarily - see my post before yours. Module failure won't necessarily result in all 6 plugs throwing codes.
Appreciate 0