E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Internships

01-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
BMW Internships

I'm looking to secure an internship at BMW's South Carolina Manufacturing Plant but I'm having troubling finding where to apply. I searched for "internship" on bmwusa.com and that leads me to the Spartanburg's plant website. However when I navigate to "Careers" then to "Student Programs," I get lead back to bmwusa.com

I have made a profile at bmwgroup.com but I think that is for jobs and not internships.

Does anyone know how to apply for an internship at the Spartanburg plant or at any BMW facility in the US? Or does anyone know anyone I can talk to about securing an internship at any automotive company?

I'm also looking into Ferderal Mogul. They design various OEM parts for many companies.

I'm a third year mechanical engineer looking to pursue a career in automotive part design.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Do an online search for automotive suppliers. I've found the best way to apply is through the company's website directly (like you are doing).

I am not sure on BMW's policy for internships.

A suggestion - try to go for an international company. There will be more opportunities to travel to other countries compared to US companies. My 8 year career has all been with German automotive companies, and I can't count how many times I've been to Europe for business. Having internation business experience is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
FSUSeminoleGirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Space Gray Metallic

Did you create a profile at http://www.bmwusfactory.com/careers/...bmw-workforce/ ? If you go to that page, go to The BMW Workforce section, then click the search for open positions link in the second paragraph. You can search for any open internships in the job search.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Do an online search for automotive suppliers. I've found the best way to apply is through the company's website directly (like you are doing).

I am not sure on BMW's policy for internships.

A suggestion - try to go for an international company. There will be more opportunities to travel to other countries compared to US companies. My 8 year career has all been with German automotive companies, and I can't count how many times I've been to Europe for business. Having internation business experience is invaluable.
Thanks. Federal Mogul has many partnerships over seas. I know a few alumni from my school who work here so I think this is going to be my third internship choice....previously interned at Pepsi Cola NA for the past 2 summers. But I need to start moving toward something more related to my career path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSeminoleGirl View Post
Did you create a profile at http://www.bmwusfactory.com/careers/...bmw-workforce/ ? If you go to that page, go to The BMW Workforce section, then click the search for open positions link in the second paragraph. You can search for any open internships in the job search.
Yes I did. But when I search for jobs, with no criteria, only 3 positions come up. None of them being internships.

One entry was for a SAP technician. I worked with SAP when I interned at Pepsi so I am familiar with it. However, I think it's a permanent job position.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
FSUSeminoleGirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Space Gray Metallic

If nothing comes up then I would just click the "contact recruiting" link and email them to inquire about internships.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSeminoleGirl View Post
If nothing comes up then I would just click the "contact recruiting" link and email them to inquire about internships.
Ohh wow. I missed that. I'm going to send a message now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs up

This should be at the top of your list. SAE International

PM me if you're interested. Let's just say I may know a manager in their aerospace/defense affiliate. He drives an e92, I hear...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've got a couple of friends that did the BMW co-op program in college, they loved it. Good luck with the internship.
Appreciate 0