E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Washed car and looks dirty again

02-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
e92srb
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi

Washed car and looks dirty again

I just washed my car n by the time I came home it looks dirty again. Given, I did not dry it. Although why does this happen. I just did a typical water, soap, water routine. So when I came home and saw it was looking dusty in a few areas I wiped it down with a towel (bad idea) and now it has subtle white streaks(it's a black car). Is it because the wax came off or something? What can I do to prevent that from happening? Instead of the towel, wtf do I do. Should I just dry it before driving?
Also while I'm on the subject, what's best way to care for leather. My prior car was cloth interior so I don't have a clue so be as specific as possible please. THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Do you mean you took it to a car wash?

If so, the car was never completely clean to begin with. Pressure washing and touchless car washes will not remove all of the dirt from the vehicle, especially with all of the salt and chemicals that accumulate on your vehicle in the winter months.

Using proper washing and drying products and techniques will do wonders for you...

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider
Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Black is a bitch lol... me and zack are in Illinois so we can feel your pain.

If I go to the car wash,no matter how much"presoak" you do, it will never get that little bit of film off the bottom half of the car. Resist the urge to use a chamois or towel to dry it with that still on there. Guaranteed wiping scratches. Use the links he posted.

As far as the seats, the other day I found some Griots Garage leather conditioner. I put it all over my car and I love it. Even smell like lear leather now kinda like new leather boots. Really helped them be supple and not ashy.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Yeah....it can be a pain especially during the winter months...bad weather and colder temps mean fewer washes. Since I made he switch to using an "apply on as you dry" product, it made quite the difference. If you have a decent amount of protections it helps maintain it, and produces a slick finish which helps resist some of the dirt/dust buildup....I've been using Griots Spray on Wax for a while now, mostly cause its works well and is easily accessible...there are others that probably work just as well if not better....
      02-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
In a place like Chicago, why are you using wax? Wax only lasts about 2 months tops. If you park your car outside or uncovered, then you need to reconsider your protection. With a sealant, you'll experience the same beading as if you just waxed yesterday, for a very long time. Many companies claim "years", and some have sprays that re-bond the sealants.

I like to bring 2 washmitts to the car wash bays. And use one mitt (2 sides) for one side of the car, and same for the other. That's 4 fresh sides of clean. Handwash is always the best bet.

Preventing, with protection, is always key. If you didn't wax this past month, there's probably nothing on it. Collinite is amazing wax, but still, 2-3 months and there won't be much on it. Especially if you wash once a week.

Sealants are the real deal, and CQuartz makes a great sealant. Not as scary as people make it. And same effort as waxing. I only wax when I'm bored and miss the smell. For a simpler approach and stronger protectant, then I recommend CarPro Hydro 2, after a thorough handwash. Spray every nook and cranny, and take the powerwash on rinse mode and simply rinse away. It turns into a "Rain-X on steroids" right before your eyes. You should YouTube it! It's great on the windshield and windows too. Maybe respray once every 2 months. Works great on the wheels, and really fun to use.

Especially in Chicago, you need something stronger than granny wax... And sealants attract less dust, compared to a wax. Another reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

All great points... nano coatings are indeed the latest and greatest form of protection. With proper care, you will see amazing gloss and hydrophobic properties that do in fact last years.

-----------------------------
Just because I am picky and want to avoid future confusion, I want to clarify some terminology... CQuartz is a nano coating. This is different than a traditional sealant. The 3 main categories of paint protection are waxes, sealants, and coatings. All 3 serve a similar purpose (providing protection from environmental contamination), but they are all very unique in terms of performance, application, etc., so it is important to properly differentiate between them.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
lovere89
Registered
Rep
Drives: civic 2013

i have read the guide 2017 about wash car
Guide to Wash A Car : 2017 Edition
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Black is a bitch. As soon as i've put all my equipment away, washed buckets, etc, there is a think layer of dust on the car

But for those 10 seconds between buffing the wax and the layer of dust, the black looks amazing and dripping wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

or you can get soft99 fusso coating
      05-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I only hand wash my Jet Black E90. I use a waffle weave drying towel. I gently wipe it down. I don’t want swirl marks, or scratches. Then after every wash, I use Meguires spray wax. Car looks nice and shiny.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #11
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hand wash it at home.....or don't do anything at all. Car washes are horrible.....and do a crappy job.
Appreciate 0