E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Auto - Hard/Missed Shift from 3rd-4th Under Load

03-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
The Pork Hunt
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i xdrive msport

Auto - Hard/Missed Shift from 3rd-4th Under Load

Hi guys I have a shifting issue I'm trying to figure out. I have an 09 335xi Auto that recently in the cold we had here started randomly losing it's xdrive, DSC, ABS etc. while driving at highway speeds. Pull over turn the car off then on and everything is well again. Since it's got warmer this doesn't happen anymore unless I'm running WOT and shifting from the top of third into 4th which I first noticed when running some logs. Same thing, dash lights up like a Christmas tree, pull over plug in the MHD to read codes and nothing.

I seem to be able to replicate it constantly now but only when WOT shifting into 4th. Delay, then hard bang into fourth or yesterday it missed fourth altogether, revved up to redline and locked me into 3rd. That gave me codes when that happened 2E7F, CD99, CD9D, CD9E, CDB0. Turned the car off and on and all was well again.

Trying to know if this is more likely to be tranny, TC or TC actuator related. Anyone else have the same or similar experience?

**See Post #8**

Last edited by The Pork Hunt; 07-23-2020 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

JB4 only pulls DME codes no?

Use a BMW scanner to pull faults from the EGS module, which is your trans module.

Also stop driving the car and reproducing this issue. This sounds like common shift solenoid/sealing sleeve issue that causes pressure issues inside the trans. Repeated reproduction will wear the clutches in your trans, for 4-5 most likely E clutch and you will need a new donor trans to swap in.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
The Pork Hunt
Rep

Okay, I found my BT cable I forgot all about and scoured for codes. I pulled two codes 55c3 and 5f2f related to TC, the transmission has no codes stored though.

I was originally thinking solenoids and/or that sealing sleeve but shifting is butter smooth all the time except for full throttle, high rpm shifts right now. There will be a delay then a hard thump as it goes into the next gear, then I lose xdrive and the dash lights up, no tranny limp or codes or anything though. Only that one time did it not make it into the next gear and the tranny went into limp mode until I restarted the car. There is no hard downshifts or lurching when stopped, shifting is always smooth as silk in everyday driving. (I've had Alpina for 4-5 years now.)

I'll pull the TC Actuator when I get a chance and see if there's any visible issues with the unit. Otherwise I'm thinking its the TC itself, since in the very cold weather a while ago the car would just lose xdrive while cruising on the highway in sixth, with no real throttle application. Maybe fluid pressure related from the cold but wouldn't I get codes thrown if that was the case? Anyone else experienced something similar?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
The Pork Hunt
Rep

Did some poking around on the weekend, took the TC Actuator out on the weekend to see if there was any visible damage. Everything checked out, actuator looked fine, took it apart to inspect the worm gear and all was well. Peaked in the TC and didn't notice any shavings or visible damage so I put it back together and went for a drive. Let it get up to temp and ran a WOT through third went to shift ~6300 and just as always there was a delay in the shift, like a 1/2 second in neutral then bang as it grabs gear. Instantly I lose xdrive and dash lights up.

I had read about one individual who had a similar sounding issue as me who said the problem ended up being his tune file, his tuner installed a different file and problem solved. I figured what the hell, I was still getting this issue with my jb4/mhd BEF on 0/0 so I didn't think it was tune related but decided to try a different file anyways. I was on the pump-USA file and changed to the other euro pump file and all is well now. Tried six ways from Sunday to get the xdrive to kick out again and nothing. The shifts up top at WOT are smooth and fast again. Not sure if it was a file issue or an upload error but for now, the problem is gone.

I still plan on doing a tranny fluid/filter-pan change since I'm due and I'll let you guys know if anything changes in status.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Mobil088
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Did you ever find out the problem to you 4x4 and Dsc error? I’m having the same problem. When ever I push the accelerator more then 50% my car jerks and I lose awd and dsc. I used protool to check codes. Only codes are 55c3 and 5f2f. I added xDelete thinking it might be my transfer case. But I does the same think when in rwd
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil088 View Post
Did you ever find out the problem to you 4x4 and Dsc error? I’m having the same problem. When ever I push the accelerator more then 50% my car jerks and I lose awd and dsc. I used protool to check codes. Only codes are 55c3 and 5f2f. I added xDelete thinking it might be my transfer case. But I does the same think when in rwd
you know you can read all the posts right?

Quote:
I had read about one individual who had a similar sounding issue as me who said the problem ended up being his tune file, his tuner installed a different file and problem solved. I figured what the hell, I was still getting this issue with my jb4/mhd BEF on 0/0 so I didn't think it was tune related but decided to try a different file anyways. I was on the pump-USA file and changed to the other euro pump file and all is well now. Tried six ways from Sunday to get the xdrive to kick out again and nothing. The shifts up top at WOT are smooth and fast again. Not sure if it was a file issue or an upload error but for now, the problem is gone.
it was a software issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
silviufuicu
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 330d

Reset gearbox with inpa, will make it feel like new.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
The Pork Hunt
Rep

Figured I should update this thread. A week or two after changing maps the same issue came up again. Seemed to happen more when the tranny fluid isn't quite up to temp. I downloaded XHP to check my Adaptation values and everything was good and well within range. "E" clutch charge times seemed a little high at ~93ms but the problem would happen down in 1st or 2nd, 3rd whatever, so I didn't think "E" clutch charge time would affect that at all.

So I did a fluid and seal change, didn't bother with Solenoids as I'm only ~70k Miles, and like I said all shifting is butter smooth except for redline WOT shifts. I didn't do the full INPA adaptation settings at first because I kept hearing individuals say not to unless hardware such as clutch plates or solenoids etc were changed. I did some careful normal driving for ~100 Miles then mashed it to see what would happen. Boom, shift delay then hard clunk into gear, lose XDrive, DSC, ABS etc. and get the same TC codes 55C3, 5F2F.

I know, you're thinking those are TC codes so TC must be the culprit but another gentleman I was chatting with was having the same issues and tried XDelete to cut the TC out of the equation, didn't stop it though. I removed, disassembled and inspected my Actuator and nothing was wrong with it, tip-top condition. I'm thinking the problem must be tranny related and that missed/hard shifts are causing the TC to go into limp mode.

So upon more investigation, I see there is a lot of talk that tranny adaptations should be reset even after just a fluid change but ONLY if the readaptation instructions are followed to the tee, so that's' what I did. Drove out to the boonies, pulled over, reset the tranny adaptations via INPA and spent an hour or two going through the entire driving / shifting procedure exactly as instructed by ZF. Now it's been about a month so far and all is well. I was taking it easy for the first week as the shifting would be a little harsh during some of the upshift initially but after a few days driving it was shifting smooth as ever. I've done numerous WOT pulls since then and so far so good. The car shifts nice and smooth with no delays and no faults.

Hopefully this is it, hopefully I've finally sorted it out and hopefully this thread can help those out with the same issue. Take care and I'll post up again if anything changes.

Last edited by The Pork Hunt; 07-23-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0