E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New car smell

08-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
cl312
Official member
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

New car smell

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get that lovely "new car"-smell back?

CL312
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
pigbat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Electric Red

Buy a new car.

I don't think it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Drink some new car smell and fart away
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

yeah the new car smell tree......
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
A Can of New Car Smell on eBay. The following article summarizes the organic compounds contributing to the new car smell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by some magazine
There's something about the smell of a new car. To many people, the leathery, plasticky aroma that hits you when you slide behind the wheel is a pleasurable scent. Seductive. Perhaps even addictive. On the other hand, to a few people the smell is malodorous, particularly to someone who has an acute chemical sensitivity.

Exactly what gives rise to new car smell? The answer, not surprising to chemists, is a complex mixture of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), primarily alkanes and substituted benzenes along with a few aldehydes and ketones.

Nearly every solid surface inside a vehicle is a fabric or plastic that is held together in part with adhesives and sealers. Outgassing of residual solvents and other chemicals from these materials leads to a dilute sea of VOCs floating about in the passenger compartment. The same holds true for new airplanes, homes, and offices.

A standard measure for automakers is to keep the gross amount of VOCs emitted by the textiles and flexible plastics low enough to prevent repeated fogging of window interiors. Each car manufacturer has its own standard for total VOCs in cars, one car company spokesman says, but he is unaware of any government standards regulating air quality inside new vehicles.

Individual components of new car smell probably aren't harmful at the concentrations found in cars, but the cumulative effects of long-term exposure to the total mix of VOCs could pose health problems. Fortunately, high concentrations of these compounds quickly dissipate just a few months after manufacture. And although VOC concentrations can reach unhealthy levels in a closed vehicle on a warm day, the air-exchange rate in a car is high when someone opens a door, rolls down a window, or turns on the air conditioner.

Measurements for window fogging don't provide a breakdown of the chemical composition of air in new cars, however. Commentators in the media and on the Internet, as well as auto industry chemists contacted by C&EN, ascribe the pleasant scent of new car smell mostly to phthalate plasticizers used in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or other plastics. However, bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, generally used in PVC, is not very volatile. And the few publicly avail-able studies that identify VOCs in new cars don't report phthalates among the primary components of the total VOC mixture.

One such study, reported this past December, was carried out by Stephen K. Brown and Min Cheng of Australia's Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO). The study took a look at VOCs in three new 1998 vehicles by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis of air samples taken from the cars after they had been sealed for several hours. The cars were resampled at various intervals for up to two years.

The CSIRO researchers detected 30 to 40 VOCs in the cars, the most prevalent being toluene, acetone, xylenes, styrene, 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene, various C5 to C12 alkanes, ethylbenzene, and ethylene glycol butyl ether. Total VOC concentrations for the cars were initially as high as 64 mg per m3 of air. For one of the cars, which was a few weeks older because it had been imported, the initial total VOC level was 2.1 mg per m3. These values correspond to the parts-per-million to parts-per-billion range.

As a comparison, the report notes that total VOCs in the indoor air of new buildings is on average 20 to 40 mg per m3, while established buildings have VOC levels generally below 1 mg per m3. Negative sensory effects--headaches; drowsiness; nausea; respiratory distress; and eye, nose, and throat irritation--are likely to occur at concentrations above about 10 mg per m3, according to the report.

The total VOC concentrations in the cars fell off exponentially over time, the CSIRO researchers note, reaching about 1.5 mg per m3 after six months. Two cars tested after two years had about 0.4 mg per m3 of total VOCs. Outdoor air measured next to the cars was about 0.1 mg per m3. There also is a temperature dependence to the VOC level: As the temperature rises inside the car, so does the total VOC concentration.

Not all of the VOCs are necessarily related to original materials in the passenger compartment, the CSIRO report points out. Benzene and other compounds from fuel or exhaust and siloxanes from cleaning products can contribute significantly to total VOCs.

CSIRO is considering developing a green air label to help consumers choose environmentally friendlier environments--such as cars, airplanes, offices, and homes--that have potentially healthier indoor air. Indeed, automakers try to eliminate parts that give off high levels of VOCs.

THE OUTCOME of these efforts is that some new cars just don't smell like new cars anymore. But therein lies the twisted irony of human nature: A host of air-freshener products with new car scent are designed to keep cars smelling showroom fresh indefinitely. None of these products, sold at car washes and automotive supply stores, has an ingredient list on the label--as "household products," ingredient labels aren't required--and companies contacted by C&EN would not divulge their proprietary secrets.

One fragrance industry spokesman tells C&EN that these products typically contain a small amount of the fragrance oil on a blotter card, in a gel, or diluted with water and/or alcohol. Simple fragrances may have only a few fragrance ingredients, generally aldehydes, esters, and ketones.

One of the first of these scents developed was the smell of treated leather, the spokesman notes. Tanned leather tends to give off a slightly rank odor, he says, so tanneries typically add artificial fragrance to the leather to keep it smelling fresh--think of the smell inside a shoe shop. The idea apparently caught on with some automakers, which have been known to add leather scent and other fragrances to cars.

Aromatherapy aside, new car owners should enjoy the original scent while it lasts. For the health conscious, Brown suggests they should "make sure there is plenty of outside air entering the vehicle while they drive for at least six months after the vehicle has been purchased."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

this is what i use... sliding one under my drivers seat... works great & provides that new car scent.

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/...jsp?oid=495773

some hallmark stores carry them.

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

stick your nose in the passenger seat in the crack or seam where the top support and the actual seat and you will smell that new smell all over it again...I was looking for something that my friend thought he lost in my back seat...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
JcFlys
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2008 BMW 550I

So much drama on the board tonight. LMAO

Here you go this should work just fine.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/air_freshener_p/air_102.htm
2008 BMW 550i Space Grey, Bamboo Trim, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Navi, HUD, Logic 7, HD Radio, ZCW, ZSP, Anthracite Headliner, Power Shade! Huper Optik 45% Ceramic Tint, 3M Proform Clearshield and V1 Hardwired. :rocks::rocks:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #9
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

With my Infiniti I'd just use the Zaino leather polish and when I sold my car 4 years later the guy couldn't believe how it smelled so new and how well I'd kept it up. Unfortunately BMW leather and Zaino leather smell seem to be fairly different, so I'm wondering if they don't clash a little more than blending well like it did with my Infiniti.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Bear_H
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Jet Black/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew 330i View Post
this is what i use... sliding one under my drivers seat... works great & provides that new car scent.

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/...jsp?oid=495773

some hallmark stores carry them.
Thanks. For $2.99, I will give it a try.
      08-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
With my Infiniti I'd just use the Zaino leather polish and when I sold my car 4 years later the guy couldn't believe how it smelled so new and how well I'd kept it up. Unfortunately BMW leather and Zaino leather smell seem to be fairly different, so I'm wondering if they don't clash a little more than blending well like it did with my Infiniti.
+1 Zaino Leather Stuff brings it back.
      08-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #12
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post
+1 Zaino Leather Stuff brings it back.
+2

I did my own new car prep (thanks Picus!) and have been using Zaino Z10 Leather in a Bottle since the first day with my car. It smells delicious and just like new leather. Since I have had it since day 1, my car is always going to smell new!!!
      08-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #13
omgitselaine
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

oh geez i just got my new car a few weks ago and how i wish i can make the "new" car smell last forever too but i know slowly but surely itll go away shuucks....... that smell just makes my knees oh so weak and wobbly ahem ahem
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Zaino > new car smell
      09-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
ATL_Architect
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e92

I use this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1006&SKU=11150

09-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Z-10 leather in a bottle is as close as you will ever get
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
JamesReid
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

strip all the interior, wash it or replace it with new ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:30 AM   #18
Corey H Waters
Rep
Drives: Honda

Hi guys! I read and laughed a lot)))
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #19
Corey H Waters
Rep

You wrote well! Good information car owners.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:53 AM   #20
Corey H Waters
Rep

Not everyone can buy a new car (although this is the best option)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:55 AM   #21
Corey H Waters
Rep

I have a cat and a dog. I take them with me on a trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:57 AM   #22
Corey H Waters
Rep

For the car interior and the smell of a new car, this is bad)))
Appreciate 0