E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dealing with the alphabet soup EGR/DPF/SCR

03-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #353
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 335d

I need help.

Awesome information everyone.

Last edited by Goboro100; 03-13-2019 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds805.50
      07-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #354
dhutch
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Great post, kudos to everyone for all the info. I've started on my 09 335d, doing it on jack stands. I used truck jack stands, have the car about 2 ft up in the air, easier to get under it.

In doing the egr delete, the bolts on the exhaust side of the cooler rounded off, so I pulled the small turbo and tubes out of the way to eventually get the bolts out. This made it much easier to unhook the DPF.

One suggestion I have is to have a set of the wobble type extensions, harbor freight sells them cheap. The shortest one on an air ratchet makes quick work of everything. These also help out on the motor mount bracket bolts. It took a couple of hours to get everything apart, but not that bad. It was a nice break from pulling the transmission out of my bulldozer.

I'm waiting on the turbo oil return lines and gasket, which were leaking. Once those parts are replaced, I'll get it back together.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #355
SB-Challenger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 330Ci, 2012 X5 35D

I just did my 2012 X5 35D, thanks for all the information, it was definitely helpful.

I'll apologize if I just missed it, but none of the delete threads I've read speak to the codes typically thrown with battery disconnect. Maybe this is too basic, but my lack of familiarity made them a surprise. The codes I received were 55C3 and 55D0, VTG AWD limp-home no DSC specified and Steering Wheel angle error. These codes were cleared simply by turning the wheel lock to lock.

Also, I initially looped the vacuum line from both ERG coolers together. It did NOT like this and threw a 4530 code, Charge Pressure Control High Pressure stage; control deviation charging pressure too low/positive control deviation. Simply plugging both line individually cleared that code up.

Again, sorry if I just missed this being covered, but expecting these codes could have saved me some time and research.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #356
Jones68
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d. 2004 M3

Sorry to just jump in here like this (just purchased a 2011 335d)

Does anyone know if the Bosch EDC17 ECU can be flashed via OBDII port?
Seeing some conflicting info. Seems the tuner sites customer service/sales people don't seem too confident in their answers to that question.

Also what exactly does a Tune without DPF/EGR delete do as far as codes go? Drops the related codes and EGR readiness "Not ready?"

Ideally I'd like to have a handheld OBDII that I can swap tunes whenever instead of sending the ECU back and forth. or maybe a spare ECU. (not sure what that entails as far as VIN numbers etc...)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #357
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones68 View Post

Seeing some conflicting info. Seems the tuner sites customer service/sales people don't seem too confident in their answers to that question.

Also what exactly does a Tune without DPF/EGR delete do as far as codes go? Drops the related codes and EGR readiness "Not ready?"

Ideally I'd like to have a handheld OBDII that I can swap tunes whenever instead of sending the ECU back and forth. or maybe a spare ECU. (not sure what that entails as far as VIN numbers etc...)

Thanks!
I have a similar issue, all should be supported but... BMW is hit or miss. I bought the Malone tune because I wanted the same thing, the handheld tuner I got would not read mine. After several different attempts different ways.
My options where to send in mine or pay a deposit and do it myself, I opted for the later. Only because I’ve got so much going on and I’d rather do it myself.
Unfortunately I decided I didn’t have enough light in my shop... then decided if I started the project... better finish it. (New shop) so I ended up building out my whole entire shop first... then bought a 454 C-10... then and then.. so I haven’t gotten to unlocking it yet.
Also.. it seemed to me the versions on the list vs mine were.. errm.. off in description. I was assured mine was the same.
What I did find out was mine was a year old, so either bmw, the previous repair shop or the owner had it replaced.
My bet is with the shitty work done to mine that the previous repair facility fucked something up.
Mine is an X5.
I have all the confidence in Malone, I’ve just been the A-hole that hasnt gotten back to the project.
I wouldn’t worry about it, just prepare for having to send it in, after that your handheld will work.
Alternatively you could just send it in advance and have piece of mind.
I have two X5’s with tunes, neither was straight forward. I had VF Engineering send me a stage 1 and 2 for my X5M and neither have worked right since day 1.
As with anything BMW... just prepare yourself for the worst and you’ll never be dissatisfied! 😂🤘
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #358
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:

Thanks!
I know Jarek/Andrew send out a device that'll read your DDE over OBD. You upload the file and get a tuned file back the next day which you flash to the DDE with the same device over DDE. When all is done you send the device back. The only cost is the shipping. If you want to keep swapping forth and back, your best option is to buy a second DDE unless you want to modify the maps yourself. In that case a bench flasher is probably best.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #359
Jones68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14.4volts View Post
I have a similar issue, all should be supported but... BMW is hit or miss. I bought the Malone tune because I wanted the same thing, the handheld tuner I got would not read mine. After several different attempts different ways.
My options where to send in mine or pay a deposit and do it myself, I opted for the later. Only because I’ve got so much going on and I’d rather do it myself.
Unfortunately I decided I didn’t have enough light in my shop... then decided if I started the project... better finish it. (New shop) so I ended up building out my whole entire shop first... then bought a 454 C-10... then and then.. so I haven’t gotten to unlocking it yet.
Also.. it seemed to me the versions on the list vs mine were.. errm.. off in description. I was assured mine was the same.
What I did find out was mine was a year old, so either bmw, the previous repair shop or the owner had it replaced.
My bet is with the shitty work done to mine that the previous repair facility fucked something up.
Mine is an X5.
I have all the confidence in Malone, I’ve just been the A-hole that hasnt gotten back to the project.
I wouldn’t worry about it, just prepare for having to send it in, after that your handheld will work.
Alternatively you could just send it in advance and have piece of mind.
I have two X5’s with tunes, neither was straight forward. I had VF Engineering send me a stage 1 and 2 for my X5M and neither have worked right since day 1.
As with anything BMW... just prepare yourself for the worst and you’ll never be dissatisfied! 😂🤘
Ha - right not my first dance with BMW. it's a love / hate thing for sure. This diesel is kick ass so I'm trying hard to love it, but am in city so can't just wham - bam ABC it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #360
Jones68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
I know Jarek/Andrew send out a device that'll read your DDE over OBD. You upload the file and get a tuned file back the next day which you flash to the DDE with the same device over DDE. When all is done you send the device back. The only cost is the shipping. If you want to keep swapping forth and back, your best option is to buy a second DDE unless you want to modify the maps yourself. In that case a bench flasher is probably best.
OK- yeah that makes sense. I think I'll go the second ECU route as Im sure to screw something up when it comes to software and following directions beyond righty-tighty, left loosey. I did get a solid answer from DUDMD on the double ECU thing so should be GTG

By the way thanks for the giant write up. I don't see myself having any issues with the nuts and bolts of the down-pipe etc thanks to your pics etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #361
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

Quote:
OK- yeah that makes sense. I think I'll go the second ECU route as Im sure to screw something up when it comes to software and following directions beyond righty-tighty, left loosey. I did get a solid answer from DUDMD on the double ECU thing so should be GTG

By the way thanks for the giant write up. I don't see myself having any issues with the nuts and bolts of the down-pipe etc thanks to your pics etc.
If you cant get into it to read it, having a second wont do you a ton of good.
I almost suggested it, you still need to pull everything from yours so that its optioned properly, not to mention everything else.
You can clone it but again you’re still barking up the same tree.
You have a good chance that one of the handhelds will read it, upload it, wait for your file and then you can switch back and forth on the fly.
I wont be because I am gutting everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #362
Jones68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14.4volts View Post
If you cant get into it to read it, having a second wont do you a ton of good.
I almost suggested it, you still need to pull everything from yours so that its optioned properly, not to mention everything else.
You can clone it but again you’re still barking up the same tree.
You have a good chance that one of the handhelds will read it, upload it, wait for your file and then you can switch back and forth on the fly.
I wont be because I am gutting everything.
yep. I'm getting a second ECU sending them both off. original will remain stock second will be cloned then "tuned" and I can swap ECU's instead of files.

I'm feeling pretty good about buying the 335D now...when initially I had no idea what I was buying ...I just knew it was fast and had to have it. Then I started reading and freaking out about DPF /EGR failures.

I tend to overreact and then map out an escape plan, even though my car has no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #363
Canadiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 1999 BMW M3

Quote:
A better solution is to buy a flashzilla device which will hold up to 5 tune files including your stock tune which you can flash via OBD in about 10-15 mins. A much better option than a 2nd ECU. Malone sells the flashzilla for about 180$
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #364
Jones68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiesel View Post
A better solution is to buy a flashzilla device which will hold up to 5 tune files including your stock tune which you can flash via OBD in about 10-15 mins. A much better option than a 2nd ECU. Malone sells the flashzilla for about 180$
I'll check it out-Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #365
VladDiesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Old information. That is no longer the case.
Why is it not the case anymore?
      08-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #366
_gentry101
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Which two sensors are retained on the DPF removal.
I either did not receive introductions or they were lost.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #367
_gentry101
Private
Rep

The two Down stream?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:53 PM   #368
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gentry101 View Post
The two Down stream?
Oxygen sensor and exhaust gas temp sensor
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:00 PM   #369
_gentry101
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post
Oxygen sensor and exhaust gas temp sensor
I realize how silly that question was once finally removing it nevermind
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #370
Samwiz94
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 335d

Quote:
Next, disconnect the battery and make sure to place a towel over the latch so the trunk lid won't close. Since the lock unlocks electrically, it would be a pain to get it back open again without battery.
Quote:
Next, disconnect the battery and make sure to place a towel over the latch so the trunk lid won't close. Since the lock unlocks electrically, it would be a pain to get it back open again without battery.

^^^^^

This happened to me yesterday. Even though I had the rear bumper and taillights out because I'm also replacing the rear bumper in addition to the abc delete, it was a pain to reach the lever to open. I had my dad using my phone on one side to direct me with a pry bar. Once we got it open and tied some string to it, we had a good laugh about it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #371
hanxter7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

M57 ABC delete, the after

Can anyone show me or describe to me what it looks like once the ABC delete is done, I know there should be a down pipe, but then between that and the exhaust, is there any other pipe I need?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #372
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanxter7 View Post
Can anyone show me or describe to me what it looks like once the ABC delete is done, I know there should be a down pipe, but then between that and the exhaust, is there any other pipe I need?
Nothing additional besides the replacement DP. There are pics in this thread.
      07-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #373
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

You will need new exhaust or need to fix your stock exhaust. I posted a picture of my off road racing exhaust in this thread

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840787

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanxter7 View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:16 PM   #374
MR OHNOZ
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport 2007, 335d 2011

Newbie. Great post. Wish I had seen this before figuring it out for myself. Quick question. Does the ecu remap keep the def pump from coming on. Or does the def pump need disabling/removal too.
Appreciate 0