E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The $350 dollar coilover thread

02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
This had been done before... There is a thread on here somewhere. So your 20k+ car you would put 350 dollar coilovers on? Its okay you probably put 87 octane too.

This is not an e36. Shit even an e36 coilover setup is more expensive.

Lets just say you get what you pay for.
This.

You guys are cheap. Suspension for $350...I mean does that seriously sound like a good idea?
      02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why would anybody ever put $350 coilovers on their car? Not to sound like a snob, but the suspension is one of the most important aspect of a car. Seriosuly, you get what you pay for. I'd be surprised if your car didn't blow up on the road as you're driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
This.

You guys are cheap. Suspension for $350...I mean does that seriously sound like a good idea?
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?

Last edited by idrift4wd; 02-13-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
lol what are you saying. people buy springs for 100 and put them on. Is that a good idea?

What if KW or BC or AST were 350 dollars. you wouldnt buy it because its too cheap?

a car is not going to blow up or cause an accident just because they installed cheap coilovers. you can google any brand of coils and add "leaking" and hundreds of links will show up. yet no one really is giving me a real reason why not to do it. please tell me what can possibly happen. If you say a leaking or blown strut... WOW. i guess i should dig my grave now right?
We are merely saying that your car will ride like donkey shit. Why do it? Its such a nice car and yet you want to lower it by these cheap coilovers and make it drive like crap. You can spend 2k on these and we would have the same debate. Its not really about the price but the quality and workmanship that went into these. Many other brands are reputable and are commonly used for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
wouldn't trust my car sitting in those dude. I'm sorry I'm all for a good deal but when they say its to good to be true it probably us be careful and be safe. You have those 7/10 visual : they look like garbage. Have you seen quality suspension at all?
And I wouldn't trust my car sitting on cheap Taiwan/Chinese suspension like BC if someone paid me.

Horses for Courses.

Do you think what a suspension looks like externally gives an indication of it's quality and performance? BC's may look nice on the outside (this is where most of the budget went) but the budget should be spent on the internal stuff where it counts. My KW competiton race shocks look cheap as chips on the outside being zinc plated steel, but the performance is superb.

Have you seen a dyno graph from the so called matched dampers out of a BC kit? Horrendous. How about internal bearing design, or not as the case maybe, meaning as soon as there are side loads due to the macpherson strut design, stiction goes through the roof. Oil viscosity to temp ratio? Rats piss comes to mind.

I'm not saying the OP's coilovers are good, at that price I'd expect them to be very poor, just find it amusing that a person with BC's is lambasting him.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

No one is worried about springs.

Honestly you think you're getting the same quality product as a brand name product? I guess you've never heard "you get what you pay for". To think you're getting a full setup for less than $90 a corner. That seems fine to you?

It's fine man, you drive a BMW and you cheapened out on one of the most important mods for the car.

edit - Looks like Wesley Crusher beat me to the punch.
      02-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Starting a question with "what if" doesn't add any validity to your argument. If you don't know the difference between quality coilovers and cheap Taiwanese junk, I suggest you do some reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Tarty Fruit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Project335i is a straight balla. Always feels the need to shit on everyone else's car and posts.

I guess owning a entry level luxury sedan with some nice wheels has made your head swell up three times its normal size. I see ya bruh no surprise you are from mississauga damn fobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Starting a question with "what if" doesn't add any validity to your argument. If you don't know the difference between quality coilovers and cheap Taiwanese junk, I suggest you do some reading.
These are german

please give me real reasons on how these are so dangerous or suck so much.

your argument on saying im "cheap" doesnt make sense if i never bought anything for my car. what if i just kept stock suspension. its funny how you think im going to die.

again if its poor, okay fine. If i cant handle the ride ill go back to soft and high stock suspension. think about it, you're giving opinion on something you never tried. How does that come off? sounds ignorant and negative to me. You guys are purely basing your opinion on the price point. If you compare to other basic coils, they look similar. maybe if it was a better color combo, but basically they are the same. I will comment on the ride when they are installed, but you can keep telling me they ride like donkey shit cause you must have had these before and know.

i can link you to many thread on people hating expensive coils. i love how people attack others with no real valid points. All ive heard is... you're cheap, one of the most important components of the car, these will suck. nothing valid. nothing at all.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These are german

please give me real reasons on how these are so dangerous or suck so much.

your argument on saying im "cheap" doesnt make sense if i never bought anything for my car. what if i just kept stock suspension. its funny how you think im going to die.

again if its poor, okay fine. If i cant handle the ride ill go back to soft and high stock suspension. think about it, you're giving opinion on something you never tried. How does that come off? sounds ignorant and negative to me. You guys are purely basing your opinion on the price point. If you compare to other basic coils, they look similar. maybe if it was a better color combo, but basically they are the same. I will comment on the ride when they are installed, but you can keep telling me they ride like donkey shit cause you must have had these before and know.

i can link you to many thread on people hating expensive coils. i love how people attack others with no real valid points. All ive heard is... you're cheap, one of the most important components of the car, these will suck. nothing valid. nothing at all.
Where are you reading that these coilovers are German? Maybe I missed it, but I can almost 100% guarantee that they are made in Taiwan.

There is a HUGE difference between quality coilovers and cheap coilovers. Companies like AST, JRZ, Ohlins use world class designers with years of engineering and racing experience to create the best possible coilovers. The R&D that goes into quality coilovers is probably well into the millions of dollars. The materials alone probably cost more than what cheap coilovers sell for. Quality coilovers are built by high-skilled laborers.

Quality design. Quality materials. Quality construction. Why do you think all serious racing teams are sponsored by these companies?

Cheap Taiwanese coilovers are just that - cheap. Think about it. They are made from inferior materials with poor workmanship. What do you end up with? Coilovers that ride worse than the OEM suspension and are almost guaranteed to break. I can link you to numerous threads regarding cheap coilovers completely failing. Have quality coilovers ever failed? Yes, but it's nowhere nearly close to the number of failed coilvers from no-name companies.

If your goal is strictly to go as low as possible and you're on a budget, by all means, buy the cheapest coilovers that you can find, but don't expect them to last you. It's a shame to drive a luxury car and use parts of such inferior quality.

I'm not trying to knock anybody down. I'm just giving my honest, humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #33
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just to support my point of how poorly some of these coilovers are constructed, here are some DDM coilovers that failed:

And here is another person who installed some DDM coilovers and they failed almost immediately after he installed them. This was the result:

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Just saw you're also in NY with lots of snow/salt, you had better hope those are zinc coated to prevent rust and possibly seizure.

Last edited by Game; 02-14-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
subscribed for the thrills
Goodluck

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #36
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Quote:

If you did, you would almost be paying the same price as these god awful coils to replace it
      02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #37
SOL403
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Subscribed for the updates! Good luck!

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #38
Tarty Fruit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
You are a mental infant.

I'm saddened that this forum has to deal with children like yourself. Go back on Facebook because you certainly don't belong here talking with adults.

Cute edit. Yes the Volks were more than the RSX (that I bought 7 years ago). Please go.
How about you go away with your negativity? Don't like the coils don't post anything. You made your point after the first post......why keep posting on and on? "DUDE YOU LIVE IN NY EVEN WORSE", did you have these coils? No. Do you know anyone that ran them? No. You have NO facts about these coils so please STFU.

Enjoy begging your gf to pitch in mod $$.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #39
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Both of you have completely derailed this thread. Keep the personal attacks to PMs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Both of you have completely derailed this thread. Keep the personal attacks to PMs.
Thread was on track until this guy decided to change the topic and bring up my old car. Odd, I know.
      02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #41
SirHoward
Captain
Rep
Drives: Da Car I Wanted

Sounds good to me, but like I said OP, keep us/me posted..
http://www.jomcoilovers.com/jom-history.php
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #42
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

very curious. You can't even buy $350 coils for a 1992 civic.

reminds me of this video:

although my first impression is joke, i'm not hating. Subscribed to see results.

Game, cRSX ftw bro.

edit--

so what's the difference between the:

"JOM" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/JOM-Coil...es-E90-93.html

"Cheap" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Cheap-Co...es-E90-93.html

and "Budget" Line? http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Budget-C...es-E90-93.html
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #43
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
very curious. You can't even buy $350 coils for a 1992 civic.

reminds me of this video:

although my first impression is joke, i'm not hating. Subscribed to see results.

Game, cRSX ftw bro.

edit--

so what's the difference between the:

"JOM" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/JOM-Coil...es-E90-93.html

"Cheap" line http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Cheap-Co...es-E90-93.html

and "Budget" Line? http://www.jomcoilovers.com/Budget-C...es-E90-93.html
      02-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #44
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Anyways..you get what you pay for. I'm sure they'll work for a good amount of time. I guess you can compare this to either paying $60 for black kidney grills or spending $5 and getting a can of plasti-dip to spray the grills. On one hand you spend a lot of money for something that'll last you a long time, on the other you buy something that'll wear and tear through time quicker. Not hating OP but don't expect these to last you a while. Again you get what you pay for..KW's are made for top of the line material, if I were you I would have saved up longer and gotten KW's like I did. I worked $8 an hour and saved for 5 months before I could afford KW V1's. But then again maybe you hit the jackpot and got lucky, don't mind the haters dude. And I must say there are some arrogant people on this forum.........
Appreciate 0