E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Methonal water injection for 335d

06-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCT335d View Post
Are you reading that right. It is saying that you had an 11.9 1/8 mile and a 15.4 1/4 mile. That is slower than stock.
Lol! Thought it seemed to go to be true, yes your right. I had just down loaded the app, and received the adapter in the mail... Did a few quick runs and posted before reading correctly. So I was just reviewing stats on the app now, came on here to correct info and saw seen your post
I hope I can achieve 11's (1/4 mile lol!) after tune and Dfp removal...
My intake was pretty coked up, meth has only been on for a week hoping times will improve as intake cleans up
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4492
Size:  177.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #24
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep

Frustrated, I did a few more runs last night at the expense of my new tires and sleep but at least now I have "stock" results, my best time I had to let up before 1/4 but shows in the 1/8
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp900 View Post
Update methonal kit is installed
No tune, stock with meth kit running 625cc 50/50 meth/water mix.
I have ran it with a heavier mix a few times hoping for a faster clean up
(Not running 11's lol!).... Yet
Which kit did you you if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to decide on meth.

My options are using a hacked solution with low flow rate just to keep the CBU at bay and slowly clean it. Next year or the year after I can look into a proper solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #26
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeKD View Post
Which kit did you you if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to decide on meth.

My options are using a hacked solution with low flow rate just to keep the CBU at bay and slowly clean it. Next year or the year after I can look into a proper solution.
That is precisely what I am doing now,(mostly for cleaning at this point) my system is a cooling mist pump with a deviles own 1 stage controller. I plan to upgrade to a stage 3 controller at some point. I have now put in about 2xxx mi since installing it, and plan to eliminate egr altogether soon, at which point I will take more pics so everyone can see the difference. BLOCK EGR FIRST, this is where all the junk is coming from. It's cheap and easy, then meth, tune, and then.... A beast of a car with great gas milage, and durability
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #27
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Thanks GTP. I will probably go down the same path next spring.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #28
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Gonna start this thread back up....Drained my urea tanks tonight and meth kit is on the way. I really want to use one for meth and run the pump in the trunk. The stock lines from the urea tank to behind the driver's rear wheel are about 1/8" ID. You guys think that's large enough? Not sure what size the kit includes as mine isn't here yet.

Also, Tdi if you are here, I l know you posted a pic of your pump in the trunk but I can't find it....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #29
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown
Gonna start this thread back up....Drained my urea tanks tonight and meth kit is on the way. I really want to use one for meth and run the pump in the trunk. The stock lines from the urea tank to behind the driver's rear wheel are about 1/8" ID. You guys think that's large enough? Not sure what size the kit includes as mine isn't here yet.

Also, Tdi if you are here, I l know you posted a pic of your pump in the trunk but I can't find it....
I believe 1/4" ID is ideal. I've seen/heard and now own a kit from AIS in California and they run 1/2" from the tank to the pump, and then 1/4" I believe from the pump all the way to the nozzle.

Using the urea tank for meth along with full tune and emissions items removed is sort of my dream.
Sort of.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #30
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post

Here you go. The space there is just perfect for the pump and keeps the pump weight centered and in the rear of the vehicle.

I'll be interested to see your progress on this. I was going to go that route as well, but have been really pleased with this setup and like having the warning LED for when the tank gets to the ~1/3 full point.
Attached Images

08-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Here you go. The space there is just perfect for the pump and keeps the pump weight centered and in the rear of the vehicle.

I'll be interested to see your progress on this. I was going to go that route as well, but have been really pleased with this setup and like having the warning LED for when the tank gets to the ~1/3 full point.
Thanks for the pic, that's a clean install....and I was afraid you had yours mounted in the right bay. I have a large module there. Do you have navigation in your car? If you do, I am wondering what else it could be. I may try to mount mine in the left bay although I think it is too shallow which means I will have to look elsewhere.

Now about the tanks. Does the following sound right? "The top tank is the passive tank and holds 4.5 gallons and the lower one is called the active tank and holds 1.6 gallons" Found this posted by Greekboy on a youtube video. I would rather use the larger top tank but my concern is if the factory line running to the pickup (1/8" ID, MAYBE 3/16") is too small I may not have access to where it hooks to the tank. My other concern is if the line is that small, chances are the elbow at the pickup is the same ID or even smaller. Any input here? Guess I might have to do flow tests with a complete kit to see if it will inhibit flow....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #32
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Combox or TCU/MULF would be in that spot. Also if you are using the urea tanks, there *might* be a lift issue with the pump mounted above the tank. I know the install guides say to mount it below, but have not tried mounting it above myself.

If using the urea tank, I would just tap a new location for the 1/4" fitting at the lowest point. You can even put a level sensor in like I did so you know when it's low.
      08-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #33
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers314 View Post
Combox or TCU/MULF would be in that spot. Also if you are using the urea tanks, there *might* be a lift issue with the pump mounted above the tank. I know the install guides say to mount it below, but have not tried mounting it above myself.

If using the urea tank, I would just tap a new location for the 1/4" fitting at the lowest point. You can even put a level sensor in like I did so you know when it's low.
Good to know. I have a DevilsOwn kit on the way so I will see what their instructions say about mounting placement. Worse case I will mount the pump near the urea pump behind the rear wheel which is below both tanks.

I found the other fitting on the large tank, had to take the big heatshield off and its right there. I also noticed that the fittings on both urea tanks are quite a bit larger than the hose used so they may be big enough.

Regarding level sensors, I know the car keeps track of the urea levels to some extent so I wonder if we can find something that will read that signal at the computer. Maybe I can whine to the BMWhat guys to add it to their app. That'd be a sweet setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to know. I have a DevilsOwn kit on the way so I will see what their instructions say about mounting placement. Worse case I will mount the pump near the urea pump behind the rear wheel which is below both tanks.

I found the other fitting on the large tank, had to take the big heatshield off and its right there. I also noticed that the fittings on both urea tanks are quite a bit larger than the hose used so they may be big enough.

Regarding level sensors, I know the car keeps track of the urea levels to some extent so I wonder if we can find something that will read that signal at the computer. Maybe I can whine to the BMWhat guys to add it to their app. That'd be a sweet setup.
I think the tank has 4 level sensors, one of which is just a reference. Something like "full, just under full, and OMFG EMPTY". There was a part of the bmw diesel PDF related to that.

I mounted my pump behind the wheel arch where the DEF fill area is located, tank is right above it inside the trunk. My line is ran outside the car and pretty much follows the brake lines within the belly pan. I have pictures if you are interested in going that route.
      08-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #35
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pic, that's a clean install....and I was afraid you had yours mounted in the right bay. I have a large module there. Do you have navigation in your car? If you do, I am wondering what else it could be. I may try to mount mine in the left bay although I think it is too shallow which means I will have to look elsewhere.
Mine is a pretty basic car without many options.

Quote:
Now about the tanks. Does the following sound right? "The top tank is the passive tank and holds 4.5 gallons and the lower one is called the active tank and holds 1.6 gallons" Found this posted by Greekboy on a youtube video. I would rather use the larger top tank but my concern is if the factory line running to the pickup (1/8" ID, MAYBE 3/16") is too small I may not have access to where it hooks to the tank. My other concern is if the line is that small, chances are the elbow at the pickup is the same ID or even smaller. Any input here? Guess I might have to do flow tests with a complete kit to see if it will inhibit flow....
Here's a couple pages from the BMW Diesel Tech document about the e90 DEF tanks that may be helpful.
Attached Images

08-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #36
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers314 View Post
I think the tank has 4 level sensors, one of which is just a reference. Something like "full, just under full, and OMFG EMPTY". There was a part of the bmw diesel PDF related to that.

I mounted my pump behind the wheel arch where the DEF fill area is located, tank is right above it inside the trunk. My line is ran outside the car and pretty much follows the brake lines within the belly pan. I have pictures if you are interested in going that route.
Nice! I'd be interested in seeing the pics and learning from your approach.
      08-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #37
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Tdi question can you use the OEM line and place a new line to route it to where its supposed to be connected can it be possible? this thread is very interesting and i was thinking of doing it that way now that you put the schematic about it
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Tdi question can you use the OEM line and place a new line to route it to where its supposed to be connected can it be possible? this thread is very interesting and i was thinking of doing it that way now that you put the schematic about it
The OEM line is going to come from a pump drawing from the smaller active tank. A new line to the passive would be the better option.

If ever necessary, it's a lot easier to plug a hole in the tank than replace the factory lines. Probably much cheaper too.
      08-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #39
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

uumm great idea lets see If I can replicate all this next thursday when the DPF is removed

Question to all which size nozzle would be the ideal one for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
A couple pictures from my install. I didn't take any of where it's routed under the car, but at some point when i'm back under there I will.

Line to the pump & wires entering the trunk. You can see the 3 washers for where the pump is mounted underneath.

Pump mounted. I trimmed the plastic bracket where the purge/fill lines are mounted with some dikes. It doesn't disrupt the function at all and allowed me to get the pump further away from the heat shield. Red line shown is the one which feeds from the tank.

View looking toward the rear of the car.

I followed wires/hoses until the line was over the rear suspension. At that point I followed the brake lines all the way to the engine bay. Many 8mm and T15 screws to get the belly pans off.

Where it finally comes into the bay

I only have 4 wires running inside the car from the dash area to the rear.
  • 12v (+) to a 20A relay near the battery
  • 12v (+) return to the controller
  • 12v (+) from the controller back to the pump
  • 12v (-) switched from the tank level sensor

Picture of the level sensor mounted in the tank. If I could do it again i would probably mount the sensor a bit lower. For a 2.5G tank it closes the circuit at 1G remaining. The sensor was about $6 on amazon.
      08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #41
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

damn it cant see the pics Im at work Ill try via cell phn gracias Anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #42
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Stevers I like that set-up. Guaranteed to cause puddles on your passenger seat and get you laid.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #43
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Stevers I like that set-up. Guaranteed to cause puddles on your passenger seat and get you laid.
Please tell the wife that, it's been a while
      08-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #44
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
uumm great idea lets see If I can replicate all this next thursday when the DPF is removed

Question to all which size nozzle would be the ideal one for our cars?
I would suggest a 625cc/min.