E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Who can beat this FMIC?

11-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 4 door

Who can beat this FMIC?

I just start the tuning try to get something to try the water. I heard every after market FMIC is better than stock, so I did some research and find this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261248886616...84.m1439.l2649
The spec is very similar to some of the golden brand that costs more than double. So I decided to give it a try. If it doesn't work that is only $256 but if it doesn't leak I think it should be better than the crappy stock FMIC.
Ordered it today and will install it this weekend if I get it. Will test it will the COBB of the IAT.
I know it is not comparable to the golden brand in performance, but it should be a choice for "poorman" or somebody who wants to spend the hard earned cash.

Last edited by Nhe261; 11-20-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
hybridel
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey X3MC

Personally, I wouldn't waste my $$ on ebay junk.

with black friday right around the corner, one of the many vendors on here will be able to give you a great price on a quality name brand intercooler... it may not cost $200, but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

In the description "a reduction of the temperature of 20 degrees F from 102F to 82F at 6600rpm"...

I call that BS... With the stock intercooler, the IAT at 6600rpm WOT should be much higher than 102F. They just write shit they haven't even tested or proved. Get your money back, save another couple hundred bucks and go with VRSF...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
GixxerRican
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I

Just got a GREAT!!!! deal from Mike @ N54tunning black friday event on a ER FMIC.. send him an email… you won't be disappointed.. Save your money and give him a call..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
dx1541
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335is blue water metallic

' International orders will ship from China ' . Not a very smart move by the seller to give away that it's selling cheaply made Chinese cores.

Stay away man, have seen a fair share of them being sold here.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I personally think it is a bad idea to cheap out on FMIC .
All vendors (including us ) have black friday deals.
You can easily get a quality FMIC like VRSF without having to spend much money.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Things like intake filters you can cheap out on. But not all intercoolers are made the same. Some black Friday deals are coming up, and id take a look at the vrsf fmic if you are looking to save money.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I wouldn't get your hopes up for it be a stellar IC, but heck, you never know. Look at how many disbelievers there were in the Big Tom FMIC just because it was cheap. But make sure to do some logs on your stock FMIC for a comparison. Also take a bunch of pics of the welds, end tanks, and fin pack when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

In for your review after install!

At a minimum, I would pick up some better clamps before it arrives though...looks like they give you worm-drive versions with this setup lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
marc@x-ph.com
Rep

Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Black Friday prices are low enough you can get a great intercoolers for very low prices. I would go with that honestly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Open offers for all GREAT deals of all GOOD BRAND FMICs

PM me the black friday deal I need a good and cheap FMIC!
Please let me klnow they are made in US even the materials. Actually I don't care if they are good stuff but just please don't blame the "Made in China". 90% of the cloths in US are from Asia (CHN or VN), most of Iphones are from CHN, 90% of the computer componets are either from CHN or TW. Are they all crap?

FYI, The Ebay order has been shipped (I can return it later) but I will buy another one from a "good brand" with the almost price range (let's say under $500, there's almost double). After I receive it I will do a detail comparsion cosmeticly and performacely (please teach me how to do that as i'm new to tuning world). I don't expect to see double performace but don't want the similiar result either.

Thanks all you guys and keep coaching me in the endless tuning/mod world. But I will keep my pocket tight for sure. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Why would you ask for advice and then go and do it anyway? What's the point of this thread?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Why would you ask for advice and then go and do it anyway? What's the point of this thread?
Actually I did ask for advices even they are welcome. I just want to share soemthing that I think its a godd deal if somebody is looking for something that is good and cheap. As I stated in the previous post most of the FMICs under 500 arefrom outside of US, even they are welded in US, the material is from Outside. You pay the fcking USW s big bucks or the sticker brand thats your money.
Welcome all vendors comment to approve their stuff is made in US. I dont think there are many.
I appreciated all the advices that make me to re consider though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

When looking at an FMIC it's important to keep the following in mind beside price...

Frontal Surface Area
Core Size
Core Type
Fin Pack Type
Charge Rows
End Tank Design
Piping Diameter and Flow
Welding Precision
Fitment
Ease of install

To name a few.

In regards to important data....

Measure intake air temps after several 2nd gear 3rd gear and possibly 4th gear of both intercoolers. Ideally on the same day at the same ambient temperatures and with the same experienced heat soak prior to the pulls. Any other data would be deemed invaluable if exterior conditions like humidity and temperature are different. Prior heat soaking plays an important role as well as using the same stretch of road way for the logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
marc@x-ph.com
Rep

Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhe261 View Post
PM me the black friday deal I need a good and cheap FMIC!
Please let me klnow they are made in US even the materials. Actually I don't care if they are good stuff but just please don't blame the "Made in China". 90% of the cloths in US are from Asia (CHN or VN), most of Iphones are from CHN, 90% of the computer componets are either from CHN or TW. Are they all crap?

FYI, The Ebay order has been shipped (I can return it later) but I will buy another one from a "good brand" with the almost price range (let's say under $500, there's almost double). After I receive it I will do a detail comparsion cosmeticly and performacely (please teach me how to do that as i'm new to tuning world). I don't expect to see double performace but don't want the similiar result either.

Thanks all you guys and keep coaching me in the endless tuning/mod world. But I will keep my pocket tight for sure. LOL
PM sent as requested
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I don't see how that thing looks in any way similar to any "golden" brand on the forum. You can tell from the external fin pack that you're going to have less cooling rows than most of the available intercoolers now which will result in poor cooling as well as more pressure loss across the core. It looks to be the generic ebay intercooler, if you look at some of the other vendors selling them you'll see a straight through fin pack which is the worst design you can use on an application that utilizes a FMIC from the factory. Great if you have a radiator behind it but incredibly inefficient otherwise.

I'd be weary of any intercooler that can sell for that price and still be profitable after shipping and ebay fees. Best case scenario it's a bit better than stock, worst case it'll blow your motor due to weld slag from assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Sorry, OP. Cheap and BMW don't really mix well together.

I think what you're looking for is a decent, yet affordable solution. However, if you can't afford that, then I would recommend leaving the car stock or buy a cheaper car to play around with.

Saving money is pointless if you don't plan on spending it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
Sorry, OP. Cheap and BMW don't really mix well together.

I think what you're looking for is a decent, yet affordable solution. However, if you can't afford that, then I would recommend leaving the car stock or buy a cheaper car to play around with.

Saving money is pointless if you don't plan on spending it.
Your point is just buy the most expensive one don't need to compare because all the others are cheap.
IMO BMW is a cheap car to play around with that's why I buy preowned BMW not a same price brand new Camry.
That's not about rich or poor, that's about how to spend money wisely.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
The biggest difference in most of the cheap FMIC's is that they lack turbulators inside. Instead of a true turbulator they just have holes stamped out in the fins inside, which are basically worthless. NEVER buy a FMIC unless you can see pics of the inside if there isn't already data to prove its worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Your point is just buy the most expensive one don't need to compare because all the others are cheap.
IMO BMW is a cheap car to play around with that's why I buy preowned BMW not a same price brand new Camry.
You get what you pay for here.
It's a cheap core. Cheap fin pack design. Shoddy welding. To name a few...

There are no remarks about the core. Fin pack. Not even a core size.
You are just buying blind my friend. Don't say we didn't warn you.

This is not a sales pitch. Everyone is always concerned about price price price but there comes a point when you have to say why are some intercoolers $1000 and others cost $300 on ebay. The answer here is you are paying for a cheap core and a non efficient one at that. By no accident it's made overaseas. I for one try my best to buy american when I can but I digress it is very hard even with the simplest things.

If the welds hold together and the intercooler atleast holds pressure you are atleast lucky there. The problem with cheap fin packs is they tend to disintegrate and ingest into your motor. So you could potentially ingest tiny particles of metal into your engine. This is common practice on all shoddy intercoolers at cut rate pricing.

By no accident if you do some research you will find 10/10 who had an ebay intercooler or atleast one from a non reputable source they end up swapping it out for something more efficient. I'm not talking about this platform specifically but the information is out there. When compared to the competition this intercooler does not stand a chance.

I would love to see the data you come up with on this intercooler so please share it with the community.

If the efficiency doesn't change your mind then the shoddy intergrity, welding, fin pack ingestion, or a laundry list of other reason may change your mind.

Sorry for the rant but being in this industry I hate to see people waste their money on inferior products when there is atleast a pretty decent intercooler available for just a little more AKA VRSF. By no accident it's always nice for forum members to atleast purchase from the vendors who keep this site running. Especially those vendors who have been here for years...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
I would recommend spending your money on finance and literature lessons, as I don't believe affordable equates to buying the most expensive item. You're saying BMW is a cheap car to play around with now, but I would love to hear you say this once you start ponying up for unexpected service and maintenance items on your vehicle.

In the end, it's your money. Don't let any of us stop you from making an ill-advised purchase decision on an untested, generic performance part for your $50,000 original MSRP BMW toy.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
There is a difference between cheap & inexpensive. I have a more expensive ETS by choice but the VRFS would to me be considered inexpensive but not cheap.

Cheap = Crap while Inexpensive = good product for its price point.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0