E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Life Monitor Programmed to Stop at 186,000 Miles - UPDATE 7/2016

09-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #155
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique_Red View Post
Thanks!
I did read the whole thread, cover to cover, and I thought the oil level was not working after 186,000 because of this post on page 6 (emphasis mine):

I appreciate all of your thoughts and input on this, I do. I am with you on probably never selling, or caring about the price much if I do, but I wonder how low that price would be or at least how much effort I would need to go through in order to convince a buyer that this issue is not really an issue, for this model car.

One question I also have is, Does this affect any model year besides 2006?

Thanks again!
So the Marko quote just shows that the e-dipstick doesn't immediately update the oil level once you've added oil and you have to wait until the system re-determines the new level. The system always reports the last known level until it updates after several miles and time.

I don't know if the condition affects any other models. There's a few members here that have over 200K on the N54 and they have not mentioned it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #156
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It might only be msv70.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #157
GogglesPisano
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I recently discovered this post. We've had this problem since early 2012. When it first happened the dealer tried resetting several CBS settings to no avail and told us we probably needed a new module or a complete car reprogram or both, but couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. Fortunately we didn't take their advice and the huge expense, and have just been annoyed by it ever since.

Now, BMW says they won't turn the error message off for us because the of the age of the vehicle. That is BS. The problem is DESIGNED not to appear until the vehicle has high miles, and no one ever told us they even could fix the problem in 2012.

For 17 years I've bragged about our BMWs. Now I'll tell everyone how little BMW cares about customer loyalty.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #158
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I don't know if the condition affects any other models. There's a few members here that have over 200K on the N54 and they have not mentioned it.
Another way to ask the question is, what other model year vehicles from BMW do not have a dipstick?
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #159
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
So I changed my oil yesterday and it reset properly. I wonder what the differences are between our cars is. Is there a way to compare software versions?
Attached Images

Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #160
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
I recently discovered this post. We've had this problem since early 2012. When it first happened the dealer tried resetting several CBS settings to no avail and told us we probably needed a new module or a complete car reprogram or both, but couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. Fortunately we didn't take their advice and the huge expense, and have just been annoyed by it ever since.

Now, BMW says they won't turn the error message off for us because the of the age of the vehicle. That is BS. The problem is DESIGNED not to appear until the vehicle has high miles, and no one ever told us they even could fix the problem in 2012.

For 17 years I've bragged about our BMWs. Now I'll tell everyone how little BMW cares about customer loyalty.
Sorry, just saw this. BMW does have a fix. They coded out the notification on my car in July of this year. It took the dealer not more than 45 minutes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #161
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
So I changed my oil yesterday and it reset properly. I wonder what the differences are between our cars is. Is there a way to compare software versions?
My oil changes were at 180,184; 195,570; and 212,455. At the 212K mark I noted the CBS reset to only a 9,700 mile OCI when it normally would reset to 18,000. At the next oil change 221,639 is when the CBS would only reset to 0 (zero) miles. Maybe you need one or two more oil changes for it to kick in...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #162
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
My oil changes were at 180,184; 195,570; and 212,455. At the 212K mark I noted the CBS reset to only a 9,700 mile OCI when it normally would reset to 18,000. At the next oil change 221,639 is when the CBS would only reset to 0 (zero) miles. Maybe you need one or two more oil changes for it to kick in...
I guess we will see what happens after the next reset.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #163
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by freon480 View Post
hmm i wonder if this can be done with out going to the dealer with tool32 on winfkp.
Yes - with ISTA or Tool32
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #164
minaret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP

Garage List
My 2008 E91 has 224,680 miles. Just did the oil/filter change, went to reset oil service using the odometer reset and stalk, it reset to 18,000 miles briefly, then at next engine start reverted back to 3800 miles. Will inquire about the code fix.
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #165
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
My 2008 E91 has 224,680 miles. Just did the oil/filter change, went to reset oil service using the odometer reset and stalk, it reset to 18,000 miles briefly, then at next engine start reverted back to 3800 miles. Will inquire about the code fix.
I'm pretty sure I posted the bulletin on this thread somewhere. Take that with you when you go to the dealership. Not all Service Advisors know about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #166
GogglesPisano
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, just saw this. BMW does have a fix. They coded out the notification on my car in July of this year. It took the dealer not more than 45 minutes.
By "fix", do you mean turning off the CBS or actually making the CBS work properly again?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #167
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By "fix", do you mean turning off the CBS or actually making the CBS work properly again?
The car is coded so that the Kombi (gauge cluster) does not receive the information from the CBS to report a past due oil change condition. There is no longer a menu item in the CBS for oil change. The rest of the CBS functions as normal. BMW then recommends the owner follow a set mileage based oil change interval. I now change my oil every 10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #168
GogglesPisano
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car is coded so that the Kombi (gauge cluster) does not receive the information from the CBS to report a past due oil change condition. There is no longer a menu item in the CBS for oil change. The rest of the CBS functions as normal. BMW then recommends the owner follow a set mileage based oil change interval. I now change my oil every 10,000 miles.
I've done that "fix". I was ticked that even though the dealer charged me time in the past to diagnose the "problem", BMW wouldn't offer to spend the 15 minutes to actually turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #169
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Noticed when accessing the CBS menu with my BT Tool, there's an 'Adjust Value' dialog box permitting a change to the Service Counter (mine has had 25 oil services) and Percentage Remaining. Is that a percentage of miles before the next oil service?
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #170
jazzer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Another one

Ok, so I've now seen exactly what EfthreeOh is talking about. My 2008 E92 has 232k miles on it. 3-4 months ago at 224k I did my usual oil change and went to use the BT tool to reset the interval. It wouldn't take. So I used the stalk and it seemed good. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago I did another oil change and same thing happened, except this time after changing to a 21k mile interval following the stalk reset, about a minute later the CBS reverted it back to 0. In fact I can go through the process over and over and watch the computer change the green OK indicator on the Info->Services menu to a red service indicator with 0 miles left within the span of a minute. The e-dipstick is absolutely fine.

I called the local BMW and they tried to tell me I don't know how to reset it properly, etc. Then they said they'd take care of it if I pay for a service visit which will be over $100 for sure.

If this is deliberate as your BMW contacts admitted, then why won't they code it out for free?

Is there any other way to do it? Any contacts at BMW HQ that will provide a waiver for the charge? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of from a luxury car manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #171
GogglesPisano
Private
United_States
Rep

It takes about 1 second to turn in off with the ISTA software.

I don't know which other ones might do it too.

I gave up trying to get BMW to do it for me and just did it myself.

BTW, I reached that mileage 5 years ago, so they've clearly had time to explain it to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #172
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Yes - with ISTA or Tool32
anyone care to share how to do it via tool32 ?
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #173
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
My local BMW Dealer did the deactivation of engine oil service in Kombi using the bulletin provided by Efthreeoh. It was fine for awhile, but recently had the car at my Indy Shop for the oil pan gasket. The shop scanned for codes and it reverted the oil service back! Summary: whenever car is scanned for codes, that service bulletin has to be run again!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #174
GogglesPisano
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My local BMW Dealer did the deactivation of engine oil service in Kombi using the bulletin provided by Efthreeoh. It was fine for awhile, but recently had the car at my Indy Shop for the oil pan gasket. The shop scanned for codes and it reverted the oil service back! Summary: whenever car is scanned for codes, that service bulletin has to be run again!
I've scanned the codes dozens of times and it doesn't turn it back on.

They must have done more than just scan for codes.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17365.00
      03-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #175
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've scanned the codes dozens of times and it doesn't turn it back on.

They must have done more than just scan for codes.
The service manager at the dealership that did the software change on my car said if the gauge cluster was removed and the kombi software reinitiated then the patch would have to been reinstalled to prevent the false OCI notification from reappearing. I've scanned my car many times post the software update and it did not change (undo) the fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #176
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what would reset software for an oil pan gasket change. I did mine. Other than unplugging the oil sensor, there is no electronic work required to remove the pan and replace the gasket.
Appreciate 0